Map Updates?

  • ke6gyd
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
      Does anyone know how often Open Street Maps updates new streets and where they get the updates from?   We have lots of new housing developments occurring and it seems like Google Maps has updated in the last 6 months and Open Street Maps has not, at least in the tiles that are downloaded into APRSIS32.  Mapquest Maps seem to be about the same as Open Street Maps.

      Second, once Open Street Maps does update with new streets, will that new data overwrite the existing map tile that has the older data with OSM Fetch enabled?

      73
      Bob
      KE6GYD

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
        On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 2:33 PM, ke6gyd@... [aprsisce]
        <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how often Open Street Maps updates new streets
        > and where they get the updates from?

        OpenStreetMaps updates the database thousands of times a second. The
        data is provided by people just like you.

        The Open in OpenStreetMaps is the key. Open as in it is a crowd
        sourced project. Anyone, including you can update the information.

        Edmonton Alberta opened a new section of the Anthony Henday Ring Road
        3 years ago. I drove that new section of road on my way home, 3 hours
        after it opened. When I got home, I uploaded the GPS trace to
        OpenStreetMaps, and then edited the database to include the new
        stretch of roadway. It was about 6 hours from opening to inclusion in
        the database, with 3 hours of delay from my employer getting in my
        way, and about 1/2 an hour delay to keep my wife happy when she rang
        the dinner bell.

        Here's the GPS trace I captured on my way home.

        https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/VE6SRV/traces/1133996

        Here's the changeset where I added the road to the OpenStreetMaps database.

        > We have lots of new housing developments occurring and it seems like Google
        > Maps has updated in the last 6 months and Open Street Maps has not, at least
        > in the tiles that are downloaded into APRSIS32. Mapquest Maps seem to be
        > about the same as Open Street Maps.

        MapQuest has tile sets that are based on the OpenStreetMap database.

        So I guess my question to you is, why haven't you added the new
        streets to OpenStreetMaps? You get OSM data for free... your repayment
        option is to perform a little service work and add in some new roads.

        It really isn't that hard. If you can trace lines, you can draw OSM
        maps. Many areas have high resolution Bing aerial maps available, it
        really is almost as easy as tracing the aerial view, creating lines
        where the roads are. If the Bing maps don't show the roads, then you
        need to drive the new roads with your GPS enabled, and upload the GPS
        trace to the OSM database. Then you trace the GPS tracks instead of
        the aerial view.

        Ground based explorers like you are preferred to drop in editors (like
        me trying to map your area). You know what's on the ground, and you
        can confirm that the information is correct.

        OSM does not allow tracing or importing from copyrighted sources, so
        you have to provide the data yourself. No trying to copy from Google
        Maps.

        > Second, once Open Street Maps does update with new streets, will that new
        > data overwrite the existing map tile that has the older data with OSM Fetch enabled?

        That depends upon your tile retention policy. I have mine set to never
        delete tiles as I rarely have internet access while driving. I gather
        tiles when at home and store them for later use in the bush.

        This means that while I have access later, the tiles never get
        updated. APRSISCE/32 does not support tile refreshing. You have to
        wholesale delete tiles to be able to get new ones. There are work
        arounds to make it so you don't delete all your tiles, such as running
        two tile sets, one that purges and renews, and a second tile set that
        never purges, but then you have to copy the refreshing tiles over the
        non-purging tiles.

        There's information about purging here:

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets

        If you go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and zoom in on your area of
        interest, do the map tiles online look the same as yours in
        APRSISCE/32? If so, you need to add roads to your neighborhood. If the
        online maps are newer, then you need to grab new tiles with
        APRSISCE/32.

        Looking at your station on http:aprs.fi/ke6gyd and swapping between
        Google Maps and OSM, I don't see a whole lot of missing developments.

        Can you provide a precise location of concern?

      • Don Rolph
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
          Open Street Maps is updated on an ongoing basis, much of it by contributors updates.  I have updated/added three streets in my town.

          --

          73,
          AB1PH
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
            Well
            if i may ask,i never changed the original map display of my APRSI32 and i would like to have it if possible like google map,is it possible?

            thanks if you can gave me a hand

            73

            gervais ve2ckn

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
              You can read about other map choices and how to configure them at:

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets

              Which includes the disclaimer:

              GoogleMaps / YahooMaps

              While GoogleMaps, YahooMaps and a number of other online mapping services serve up map tiles in a manner similar to OpenStreetMap, they have restrictive licenses that do not allow unencumbered access to the map tiles, as well as offline tile caching and usage restrictions. Due to these limitations, APRSISCE/32 does not attempt to make use of the tiles from these sources.

              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014

                Lynn,i just checked and i dont have either,mapquest or Mapquest area

                Purged nable and Original is selected.

                gervais

                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
                  That's correct.  Out-of-the-box, APRSISCE/32 only has Original.  You have to add any other Tile Sets that you want via Configure / Map / Tile Sets / New Tile Set.  Just make sure you create a new directory for the new set so you don't mix things up.

                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2014
                    Lynn

                    "

                    Note: When you click Accept, APRSISCE/32 will ask you to locate a directory in which to store the tiles. This must be a new, empty directory for this tile set! If you put multiple tile sets into a single directory, you'll get a mish-mash of both tile sets!"

                    where should i create this directory,,,,MapQuest ?

                    thanks
                    gervais

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2014
                      You can put the directory anywhere you want.  I typically create a directory on the root of one of my drives and call it "MapTiles" and create individual TileSet directories under that named the same as what I called the TileSet.

                      By doing it this way, I can point all of my instances of APRSISCE/32 to the same directory for the same tile set and it all works fine.

                      But directory placement and naming is completely up to the end user.  Other than the fact that you really don't want two different tile sets sharing a single directory.

                      On 7/31/2014 7:54 AM, Gervais Fillion ve2ckn2@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                      Lynn

                      "

                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 31, 2014

                        well
                        i tried it and all i add was a blank map wit ME in the center ( alone) but i must be near success<<,

                        gervais

                        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 31, 2014
                          Most common cause of that is a typo in the configuration or the map server you're pulling the tiles from is down.

                          Manually construct a tile URL from the information entered and use 0 0 0 for the x y z and put that in your browser and see if you get the world map.  As a matter of fact, I should put a check for that when you accept the tile set configuration dialog... sometime.

                          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 31, 2014

                            Hmm, maybe auto-deconstruct the URL?

                            If this is entered:

                            http://otile3.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/12/1130/1715.png

                            Then, it would be deconstructed into:

                            Server: otile3.mqcdn.com

                            Plus, a nifty little picture with the actual tile using a default would make it simple for user comparison. By the way, not all tile sets have a tile for 0,0,0.

                            For extra work, have other common options if the default arrangement didn’t work. ;)

                            Prompting for a tile name might be useful as well. Use the same name for the directory.

                            And of course add this to APRSISMO. :O ;)

                            Best regards,

                            Fred N7FMH