Autozoom and positionless reports

  • N5TEV
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2014

      Lynn,

      This came up months ago, but in the CE version, have you been able to look at the function of:

      Menu -> Screen -> Autozoom View -> Autozoom Out

      The issue is that while operating mobile RF, if a positionless packet is received, the program puts that station at 0,0 off the coast of Africa and the map autozooms out to display the entire world. Kind of a nuisance when operating RF mobile on the road :-)

      Maybe have the Autozoom logic ignore stations at 0,0? After all, even if someone was operating maritime mobile APRS off the coast of Africa, what are the odds that a real station would ever transmit exactly from 0,0? :-)

      I often operate on road trips, and frequently like to use Autozoom to see the furthest received station. But the central East Atlantic ocean is a little far out of range :-)

      Jeff

      N5TEV

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2014
      Are you running the latest development version?  I just checked the code, and the auto-zoom-out is supposed to ignore stations at 0,0.

      I tested this on my own RF station only to be presented with:

      But on closer inspection, I see that not everyone off the coast of Africa is actually at 0,0:

      YMMV, but there's really not much programmatically that I can do with this unless I start doing means and standard deviations and throwing out stations that aren't clustered "close enough" to the core somehow.

      Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2014
        You found a good one there Lynn.

        KJ4WJI-2 is running a TT4 and APRSISCE/32 under the same callsign.

        APRSISCE/32 is sending weather reports every 15 minutes via
        WIDE2-1,WIDE2-2... Yuck!

        It gets worse though.

        The TT4 is sending invalid weather reports (with a bad location) every
        15 minutes via WIDE2-1,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-1, a plain text string every 15
        minutes via WIDE2-1,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-1, and an invalid compressed
        location every 15 minutes via WIDE2-1,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-1.
        AUUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!

        There could be even more going on, but the network reliability in that
        area is so poor that a lot of the packets being sent are being
        destroyed on the RF network.

        Take this as a reminder that everyone should have a look at their
        station at least once a week and see if it's doing something it's not
        supposed to be doing.

        This one station is singlehandedly destroying the RF network across
        most of Florida, and Georgia, as well as probably Alabama and South
        Carolina. (Well, there are probably enough other problems in the
        network that these packets can't get carried that far...)

        Anyone near this guy, and can give him a hand learning what APRS is,
        and how to use it without destroying the local network?