Fwd: VE7VHF: test

  • Don Poaps
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23, 2014
      Greetings..

      I know sooner sent off previous email. The Test message showed up. What is required to set up a Gateway?

      Don va7dgp

        --
        Don Poaps
        New Westminster, BC

      • Don Poaps
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 23, 2014
          hi Lynn

          I was just wondering about the lag time. So from I understand. I send it off, and it's dumped into the internet. APRS.IS picks it up and it's relayed to a Gateway. If sent via RF, the  Igate will drop it into APRS.IS to be process.
           Ok, I just need to let customer it's not instance email. It does get sent but it needs to find the gateway.

          Thank You

          Don va7dgp

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 23, 2014
            The delays are likely on the Internet side, actually.  Not every e-mail you send from your normal e-mail client arrives instantly at its destination either, does it?

            If you want to see how fast the APRS is to deliver the message to the gateway, just check:

            http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=EMAIL-2&limit=25

            shortly after sending the message.  If you're using EMAIL instead of EMAIL-2, change the callsign to that, although I recommend EMAIL-2 and use it myself.

            You should have also received an acknowledgement that the e-mail was sent via APRS message, provided that the source station was either on the APRS-IS or in range of a fully functional (read: bi-directional message gating) iGate.  See also:

            http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:aprs-messaging-explained

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 23, 2014
              If I had to guess, it's the latter requirement (bi-directional, message-gating iGate) that's not being met in your area.  Looking at the raw packets:

              2014-07-23 13:51:16 EDT: VE7VHF>APWW10,WIDE1-1,qAR,UBC39::EMAIL-2  :va7dgp@... test{JY}
              2014-07-23 13:51:16 EDT: EMAIL-2>APJIE4,TCPIP*,qAC,AE5PL-JF::VE7VHF   :Email sent to va7dgp@...{4T}JY
              2014-07-23 13:52:16 EDT: EMAIL-2>APJIE4,TCPIP*,qAC,AE5PL-JF::VE7VHF   :Email sent to va7dgp@...{4T}JY

              2014-07-23 13:52:38 EDT: VE7VHF>APWW10,WIDE1*,qAR,UBC39::EMAIL-2  :va7dgp@... test{JY}
              2014-07-23 13:52:38 EDT: EMAIL-2>APJIE4,TCPIP*,qAC,AE5PL-JF::VE7VHF   :ackJY}
              2014-07-23 13:53:16 EDT: EMAIL-2>APJIE4,TCPIP*,qAC,AE5PL-JF::VE7VHF   :Email sent to va7dgp@...{4T}JY
              2014-07-23 13:54:16 EDT: EMAIL-2>APJIE4,TCPIP*,qAC,AE5PL-JF::VE7VHF   :Email sent to va7dgp@...{4T}JY

              Pete's newest implementation of the EMAIL-2 server relies on the Reply-Ack feature to deliver the ack along with his response.  He retried that message twice before your client sent in the request again.  After that retry, Pete's server fell back to the old style ack, but still sent back two additional responses, none of which, I'm guessing, did your client receive.

              How far from the IGate are you?  The initial request appears to have made it direct form VE7VHF to UBC39, but the retry went through some digipeater that didn't insert it's callsign.

              Is there still a Pending Message in VE7VHF for EMAIL-2 causing the message pane (upper right corner of map) to be Yellow or Orange?  Or did you cancel the outbound, non-acknowledged request?

              If you send a request to WHO-IS for a callsign lookup, do you get an answer from that?

              If you send a message from an APRS-IS-based client to VE7VHF, does it get there?

              If the latter two answers are No, then you need to talk to the UBC39 iGate operator to enable bi-directional messaging.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 23, 2014

                If you are using an email client (e.g., Outlook) the delay could be the interval configured within the client to ping the server. My last install had a default setting of 30 minutes. In this case, you can get faster results by manually pinging the server. In my case, that would be the Comcast email server.

                Best regards,

                Fred N7FMH

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 23, 2014
                    Hey Fred

                    Most guys use their cell phones to pick up their emails. Unless your me, I'm at the store trying,  to look busy. Yesterday busy that one armed painter. Today, slower than herd of turtles. I don't use Outlook. It's Google mail right from the browser. Or Iphone

                    Don va7dgp

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 23, 2014

                      Hi Don,

                      I haven’t made that transition to getting my phone. Considering I get 100-200 per day I can’t imagine using the phone virtual keyboard. I could but I am not sure I want to.

                      Best regards,

                      Fred N7FMH

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 24, 2014
                        Don VA7DGP wrote...

                        > I'll email one of the guys who will know who looks after
                        > the UBC gateway

                        Give Geoff VE7KA/VA7CWD a shout... va7cwd AT bcfmca dot bc dot ca

                        Incidentally, my IGate VE7GDH-10 sometimes hears VE7VHF direct, but most
                        recently heard it via SSI.

                        --
                        73 Keith VE7GDH
                        UI-View32
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 24, 2014
                          Don VA7DGP wrote...

                          > I'll email one of the guys who will know who looks after
                          > the UBC gateway.

                          If you have any trouble reaching Geoff, try Dave VE7LTD...

                          dcameron AT irlp dot net

                          --
                          73 Keith VE7GDH
                          UI-View32