Hello Group

  • ac4zr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2014

      Just recently started running APRSISCE32 thanks to a buddy of mine ( NN4NC ) remoting in with teamviewer and set it up for me. It seems my 2 year old grandson decided to play the piano on my computer keyboard when I wasnt looking and now the map is gone. All the objects are displaying but I cant see any map details. I cant tell where the stations are located. I have tried looking for some sort of setting that maybe got turned off but no luck.

      Unrelated to this issue, I have been getting messages every day that says " Transmitted Status ( Special ) " from stations all over they place. How can I make them go away?

      Also one final thing. I want to connect a real TNC and radio to the computer Im running this program on and fill in a big hole in our APRS coverage area. I work in Charlotte, NC and live in Lancaster, SC ( 50 miles apart ) and our current system stops tracking me about halfway home. I have a 100 foot tower at my QTH and have a fairly decent foot print. Lancaster, SC is a MAJOR route to Myrtle Beach, SC and there isnt any coverage from south Charlotte all the way to the beach and I feel I can help this situation. ALOT of APRS traffic comes through our town and I see them leaving Charlotte and a couple of hours later I see them again once they get to Myrtle Beach. My delema? I dont how to configure the software to make eveything work. I DO know how to put my TNC in the KISS mode and make the radio key it up but thats it. Keep in mind Ive only been running APRSISCE for only a couple of weeks and Ive been reading the documents trying to understand it all. Any help would be appreciated......Bill Newsome.....AC4ZR.....Lancaster, SC......73 and thanks for reading my post......

    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2014
        It would help if you describe your equipment a bit:
          TNC, Radio, etc.

        BUT, the short answer is:

        watch the video and see if that helps.

        From your message, it appears you will leave the TNC in KISS modem so creating a simple KISS port through
          >Configure >Port >New Port
        Pick the connection [Simple(KISS) if the above statement is true], match port settings: [baud rates, etc.] and follow the rest of the menu items reading the wiki fro any that don't come up as familiar.

        Good luck and post your results!
        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2014
          On 7/17/2014 11:30 AM, ac4zr@... [aprsisce] wrote:

          > Just recently started running APRSISCE32 thanks to a buddy of mine (
          > NN4NC ) remoting in with teamviewer and set it up for me. It seems my
          > 2 year old grandson decided to play the piano on my computer keyboard
          > when I wasnt looking and now the map is gone. All the objects are
          > displaying but I cant see any map details. I cant tell where the
          > stations are located. I have tried looking for some sort of setting
          > that maybe got turned off but no luck.

          Try hitting the right arrow key a bunch of times to increase the map
          opacity. I suspect your grandson hit the left arrow taking the opacity
          to zero (transparency = 100%). See also
          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:quick-keys

          > Unrelated to this issue, I have been getting messages every day that
          > says " Transmitted Status ( Special ) " from stations all over they
          > place. How can I make them go away?

          The APRS pseudo-spec says that anytime a Mic-E status of Special is
          received, the map is to be centered on that station. I thought this
          would be rather intrusive, so I send an internal APRS message indicating
          the status. Since a bunch of people seem to think that they are
          "special" you can disable this behavior by unchecking Configure / Mic-E
          Notifications / Special.

          > Also one final thing. I want to connect a real TNC and radio to the
          > computer Im running this program on and fill in a big hole in our APRS
          > coverage area. I work in Charlotte, NC and live in Lancaster, SC ( 50
          > miles apart ) and our current system stops tracking me about halfway
          > home. I have a 100 foot tower at my QTH and have a fairly decent foot
          > print. Lancaster, SC is a MAJOR route to Myrtle Beach, SC and there
          > isnt any coverage from south Charlotte all the way to the beach and I
          > feel I can help this situation. ALOT of APRS traffic comes through our
          > town and I see them leaving Charlotte and a couple of hours later I
          > see them again once they get to Myrtle Beach. My delema? I dont how to
          > configure the software to make eveything work. I DO know how to put my
          > TNC in the KISS mode and make the radio key it up but thats it. Keep
          > in mind Ive only been running APRSISCE for only a couple of weeks and
          > Ive been reading the documents trying to understand it all. Any help
          > would be appreciated......Bill Newsome.....AC4ZR.....Lancaster,
          > SC......73 and thanks for reading my post......

          Rob answered this, but make sure you get Simply(KISS), not straight KISS
          as the Port Type in APRSISCE/32. The former assumes that your TNC is
          locked into KISS mode while the later contains the commands to take a
          Kenwood internal TNC into and out of KISS mode, something you don't want
          it doing.

        • ac4zr
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 17, 2014

            Hello guys sorry it took me so long to get back with you as I didn't have my subscription delivery for the group set correctly to get your response ( now fixed ). Thank you for writing me back.

            Since writing my first post I have found out through looking at the settings that ( I think ) the reason my map is gone is that the "original" tile set is corrupt and I don't know what the URL and server name suppose to be. I tried to use one of the other tile sets but I didn't do something correct again doing that procedure and now I have two "MapQuest" tile sets and they are both checked and I cant figure out how to get rid of them. How do I go back to the "Original" tile set and set that up like it suppose to be?

            My station will consist of a Windows XP Pro ( Service Pack 3 ) computer, a Kantronics KPC3 TNC in KISS Mode, and a Yeasu FT-2900 running 75 watts with an antenna up 100 feet.

            Thank you for your help and patience guys......73....Bill....AC4ZR