APRS-IS Delay

  • Don Poaps
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014
      Greetings..

      I'm stuck in a hotel in Hinton, AB. I did get this to work over night and then it looks like the port to APRS IS is blocked. Is there a proxy somewhere.?
      The local IT people brought in new equipment and added a password or key to access the router.

      I'm now using an Iphone APRS App and it is killing my battery plus data

      Don va7dgp
      Hinton, AB

      --
      Don Poaps
      New Westminster, BC

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014
          > I'm stuck in a hotel in Hinton, AB. I did get this to work over night and
          > then it looks like the port to APRS IS is blocked.

          How about 144.39 MHz?
        • Bob Harris
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014
          • 1 Attachment
          • 10 KB
          I wonder if the new equipment (and its settings) is restricting access to a DNS server. Check your wireless settings. It should be set for "auto" for the DNS server. Then it should use whatever the hotel's system will allow.

          On 7/16/2014 3:04 PM, Don Poaps va7dgp@... [aprsisce] wrote:

          Greetings..

          I'm stuck in a hotel in Hinton, AB. I did get this to work over night and then it looks like the port to APRS IS is blocked. Is there a proxy somewhere.?
          The local IT people brought in new equipment and added a password or key to access the router.

          I'm now using an Iphone APRS App and it is killing my battery plus data

          Don va7dgp
          Hinton, AB

          --
          Don Poaps
          New Westminster, BC
          VA7DGP

          --

          Bob Harris (K9UDX)
          Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)

        • Patrick

              Message 7 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014
                On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Bill Vodall wa7nwp@...
                [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                >> I'm stuck in a hotel in Hinton, AB. I did get this to work over night and
                >> then it looks like the port to APRS IS is blocked.
                >
                > How about 144.39 MHz?

                Don's kind of hooped there Bill... My EDSON digipeater has gone wonky,
                it started acting up in the early part of the year, if I recall... I
                haven't had the opportunity to make the 3.5 hour drive out to correct
                it yet.

                The OBED digipeater that I fixed up for the Yellowhead Amateur Radio
                Club a few years ago has also gone NFG, and I haven't had the
                opportunity to drive the 4.5 hours to get to it either. It is also
                accessed via a strip mine, where you need to be escorted to get
                through to the tower site.

                There's a down side to maintaining 15 digipeaters which are located up
                to 5 hours from your house... it takes a bit to be able to make the
                maintenance trips happen. I also have ALIANC which is acting up, but
                it's about 2.5 hours in the other direction!

              • Don Poaps
                Message 8 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014
                  James/Group

                  I am picking va6jh-9 from some Igate. I see him moving towards Hinton. I do have kenwood linked to APRSIS32 when the battery is charged.

                  Don va7dgp

                  Message 9 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014
                    I lost my IGate this afternoon to a lightning strike. At least the HT
                    and the TT4 are not operating. Not sure about the BT to Serial device.
                    I was sitting 5 feet away from the antenna bulk-head and 2 feet from an
                    iCom IC-746Pro connected to both HF and 2m antennas. The 746 seems to be
                    fine, but it's 12v switching power supply is definitely gone.

                    Saw the flash and heard the simultaneous BOOM. Lifted me off my chair
                    (needless to say) and set of the house alarm, even though it wasn't
                    armed. Exciting stuff.

                    At least I don't have an N-hour drive to get it fixed. I just have to
                    locate my backup hardware and get it all back on the air. Especially
                    since the local WIDE2 digi, WX4MLB-3, is off the air due to our NWS
                    office undergoing an interior renovation.