CloseCmd entries necessary?

  • N5TEV
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 11:32 AM

      I normally operate my D710 in APRS mode all the time.  About 50 % of the time I run APRSISCE through a bluetooth serial port on my Pocket PC.

      My question is, on those occasions when I shut down APRSISCE, but want to continue to leave my D710 operating APRS in stand-alone mode, the program takes the radio out of APRS mode.

      Can I prevent it from being taken out of APRS mode by deleting the CloseCmd entries in the port setting, or should I just change the entry to:

      <CloseCmd></CloseCmd>

      I know I can just manually turn it back on on the radio after shutting down APRSISCE, or power cycle the radio and have it restart in the PF I have set up for APRS.  But I have to remember to do that, and just wonder if editing the port setting is recommended or not.

      73,

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5 1:21 PM
        Yes, you can edit the port commands, but currently APRSISCE/32 expects at least one of each.  A no-op close command would be:

        <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

        which means send nothing and suppress even the default <CR>, expect nothing in response, and wait 0 seconds for that nothing.

        I'm not sure what the program will do with an empty <CloseCmd></CloseCmd> value.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5 2:16 PM
          On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM, N5TEV@... [aprsisce]
          <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > I normally operate my D710 in APRS mode all the time. About 50 % of the time
          > I run APRSISCE through a bluetooth serial port on my Pocket PC.
          >
          > My question is, on those occasions when I shut down APRSISCE, but want to
          > continue to leave my D710 operating APRS in stand-alone mode, the program
          > takes the radio out of APRS mode.
          >
          > Can I prevent it from being taken out of APRS mode by deleting the CloseCmd
          > entries in the port setting, or should I just change the entry to:
          >
          > <CloseCmd></CloseCmd>

          The answer to your question is no.

          When you start APRSISCE/32, the program opens the connection to the
          radio, and it is at that point that the radio is taken out of APRS
          mode. If you remove all the commands from the CloseCmd section (even
          if you put in the NO-OP), the radio will be left in the non-APRS mode.

          You will need to put in commands in the CloseCmd section which will
          return the radio to your desired operational configuration.

          You will need to undo what APRSISCE/32 did in the OpenCmd section.

          Without knowing more about how your radio is set up to start, and what
          your OpenCmds are, I can't provide precise information on what your
          CloseCmds need to be.

          If you look up the commands for the radio, and look at the syntax of
          Lynn's open/close command structure, you can write your own CloseCmd.
          That's all I or anyone else would do.