KISS over TCP question

  • Christopher Snell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2014
      Hi,

      Is APRSISCE/32 expecting a response after it sends a packet over a Simply KISS TCP/IP port?  I'm trying to get it running with tnc-server and I'm noticing that it sends the first beacon out but never sends another.   Compare this with aprx, which seems to lob packets out, never expecting to hear anything back.

      thanks,

      Chris
      NW5W
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 2014
        Nope, nothing is expected back.  I treat it as just a stream socket sending <C0>-wrapped KISS packets and expecting the same to come in, but only as packets are received.  There are any number of reasons why it might not be transmitting, though.  Please read:

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

        I also noticed in your one screen shot that you hadn't even set your ME location by panning/zooming in tight and then clicking Transmit on the menu.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2014
              It was a problem with the way that I read bytes off the network.   I used a Go function called bufio.ReadBytes() to read the data.   ReadBytes takes one argument, a byte delimeter, and it reads off the connection until it encounters this delimeter and returns everything it read (including the delimeter).  I was calling it like this:

              connection.ReadBytes(0xc0)

               with the intention of reading to the final FEND of the frame.  However, as you know, frames also begin with 0xc0/FEND so every other time I called it, it would return just that first FEND.  Every other outbound packet would fail.  The solution was to use bufio.ReadByte() to read the starting FEND and then bufio.ReadBytes(0xc0) to continue reading until the ending FEND.

              I found one more bug in how I was handling frames and patched that today.   I just uploaded a new version:

              Chris
              NW5W