Aprsis32 on win 8.1

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21 2:11 PM

      Just got a small laptop and got APRSIS32 up and running in no time IS only at the moment.

      Got a very good deal on it paid £250 was supposed to be £399 but discounted as end of line and again because the display one was the only one they had left..

      Only 2 USB no DVD and sadly no mic input socket, so will need a USB Soundcard.

      My first go with Windows 8 and took me a little bit to find where everything was

      Steve

      G6UIM

    • Randall Wilkinson

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26 3:32 PM
          Just before you go buy a USB sound card (which is really inexpensive today), you might want to double check the audio connection, as some newer laptops use 1 audio jack for both headphone out and mic in, similar to what smartphones use today (except no pick up / hang up button function). I have seen quite a few laptops and netbooks like that.
        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26 7:36 PM
            VE7MDT wrote...

            > Just before you go buy a USB sound card (which is really inexpensive
            today)...

            The SignaLink USB is about $135 in Canada. I don't know if you consider
            that expensive, but it makes for a one cable connection to most radios
            and just the USB cable to the computer.

            --
            73 Keith VE7GDH
            UI-View32
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26 7:41 PM
              119.00 in Burnaby.

              Don va7dgp

              On Thursday, June 26, 2014, Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              VE7MDT wrote...

              > Just before you go buy a USB sound card (which is really inexpensive
              today)...

              The SignaLink USB is about $135 in Canada. I don't know if you consider
              that expensive, but it makes for a one cable connection to most radios
              and just the USB cable to the computer.

              --
              73 Keith VE7GDH
              UI-View32
              www.uiview.org

              --
              Don Poaps
              New Westminster, BC
              VA7DGP

            • kb8rco@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 26 10:07 PM

                You could buy a USB sound card, USB RS232 interface, USB hub, and trnasformers, etc to make your own sound card interface with CAT controller for a lot less than that - if you wnat to.

                I prefer the MicroHAM USB 3 or others with sound card and cat combined.

                Add bluetooth capability, and you have a lot more than SignaLink has to offer.

                Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                > Just before you go buy a USB sound card (which is really inexpensive
                today)...

                The SignaLink USB is about $135 in Canada. I don't know if you consider
                that expensive, but it makes for a one cable connection to most radios
                and just the USB cable to the computer.

                --
                73 Keith VE7GDH
                UI-View32
                www.uiview.org

                --
                Don Poaps
                New Westminster, BC
                VA7DGP

              • af4ex.radio
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 27 5:00 AM

                  @ve7mdt:

                  > ...some newer laptops use 1 audio jack

                  >  for both headphone out and mic in...

                  ve7mdt is right. I recently bought a Win8 tablet and discovered that the "earphone" jack was actually a combined earphone-mic jack, a configuration made popular by the iPhone, iPod etc, so there is a huge aftermarket which offers "splitter" cables to split the single back into the regular microphone and earphone outputs.

                  I have several, they work great for feeding signals into your sound card for processing on the mike input, and listening through earphones on the other plug.

                  There are tons of these available on the Internet for about one or two dollars(!), and often with free shipping.

                  http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/audio-mic-splitter-3.5mm.html

                  Hard to find these in stores, and you'll pay ten times more if you do.

                  :-|

                  John/af4ex