IS to RF Objects

  • catman393
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8 3:18 PM

      Hello,

      Is it possible to take objects that are IS only and selectively TX them out over RF?

      My neighbor has a IS only WX Station and I would like to just take the data from IS and "retransmit" it out over RF.

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8 3:50 PM

        Yes but you need to be careful, and for that reason it’s not documented.

        You need to think carefully about the filter to stop sending vast amounts of data over the air. APRSIS currently has no throttles to stop stupid amounts of data going out.

        First of set a range filter as a safe guard such as m/10 and if you are only interested in the station WX, buddy list b/callsign-ssid.

        Check how often you neighbour is sending data, if it’s less than once every 10 minutes, then think about it.

        Hit CTRL G and enter the filter string. Then hit CTRL I you will then transmit what matches the filter string to RF

        If you restart the software you will need to do CTRL G and CTRL I again, it’s not remembered across restarts.

        But please really check the amount of data you will send over RF before you do it.

        Steve

        G6UIM

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 8 3:59 PM
          On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM, kk4lqx@... [aprsisce]
          <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Is it possible to take objects that are IS only and selectively TX them out over RF?

          No, but then yes... define selectively.

          > My neighbor has a IS only WX Station and I would like to just take the data
          > from IS and "retransmit" it out over RF.

          Get your neighbor to put a station on RF! He's a ham radio operator!
          Heck, why not drill a hole in the wall of the duplex and run a wire
          from his WX station to your APRS RF station?

          Are you running the development version?

          CTRL-G
          b/KE5BM-13
          CTRL-I

          As Steve says, watch out... you can screw up the local RF environment
          in a hurry with bad filters!

          Look in the archives for many more messages describing this feature
          and all of the caveats to be aware of when enabled.

          Stick your arm out the window and wave at Jason KE4NYV, looks like
          he's driving by on his way out for supper!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 8 4:26 PM

            The checking if someone is running development version always catches me out.

            As I and James said use the buddy filter, James took the time to look the callsign up.

            Really check how often your neighbour is outputting data,

            Steve

            G6UIM

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9 5:05 AM

              Thanks All!

              I'm not sure if I'm running the development version or not.

              When I click About it says

              "APRIS-IS Client by KJ4ERJ
              Built: 2012/08/30 09:19"

              Everything worked about except when I hit CTRL-I nothing happened that I'm aware of.

              I'll tell Jason Hi today at the club meeting.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 9 7:11 AM

                That’s not the development version the latest is dated 18/03/2014

                Follow the info on this link

                http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

                Steve

                G6UIM

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 9 1:43 PM

                  Thanks guys! I now have the development version!

                  One thing I (and my neighbor) noticed is that while he shows up on APRS.fi neither of us are seeing his weather station on our software (UIView or APRSIS). Any ideas on how to correct that?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 9 1:59 PM
                    I suspect he's injecting his weather data directly into CWOP or firenet.  These messages don't pass into the APRS-IS proper, but aprs.fi gets a feed of them.  If you change your APRS-IS server to firenet.us port 14580, you might start to see them.

                    What is his weather station's callsign-SSID?

                  • kb1ejh@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 9 2:03 PM

                      Yes, contact me off line.

                      Carl, KB1EJH

                      To insure the quality of your patriotism, this e-mail may be monitored.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 9 4:08 PM
                          It's working! Thanks all for your help!
                        • catman393
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 9 4:44 PM
                            Is there a way to edit the XML (or some other method) so that you don't have to do the CTRL+G, CTRL+I at start up? I ask mainly thinking of if the computer were to restart or shutdown for any given reason.
                          • Ken
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 9 5:02 PM
                              Once you know that the filter works as you want it to you can go to menu item Configure/General and enter/add to your current Add Filter line. Writes it to the XML file at exit of the program for you and will be available at the next restart.

                              Ken - KB6KB