USB Network Server

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2014

      I wanted to separate my APRS system away from my main station. So am going to put it in my garage. Did not want to run another PC.

      So I thought I would try a USB network server, this is a 4 port USB system with a Gigabit network port. Currently working very well connected to my TNC-X

      Steve

      G6UIM

    • Greg Ames
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2014
        More info please - specifically make/model/OS support of the USB server

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2014

          Really don’t know who makes it. It’s a large UK electronics distributer own brand.

          All I can say is it seems to use the Elite Silicon Technology USB server chip E3868M4 http://www.elitesilicon.com/Support.html

          The driver I have is for XP and Vista but runs just fine on Win 7 x64, the driver detects whats plugged in and sets up a virtual USB port.

          Have tried it with a printer, memory card reader, and a USB TNC.

          My setup is an N300 router specifically a Draytek 2830 connected to the pc via cable. A TP-link WA901 N300 wireless bridge connected to the Draytek via WIFI, with a the USB server connected to the TP-Link.

          This is the device the company used to be more hobby electronics but in recent years has gone for a more general user approach.

          http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/gigabit-network-server-4-port-usb-20-hub-n01jz

          Maplin are the equivalent I guess of Radio Shack. Used to be mail order only but now have plenty of shops in the UK . But even the smaller shops stock RF connectors such as BNC, N and 259.

          Not sure what happened to Radio Shack in the UK , used to have one here in Paignton in the 80’s

          Hope that helps (probably not lol)

          Steve

          G6UIM