Internet Usage

  • Jim Marco
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2014
      Greetings. Can anyone tell me how much Internet usage is generated by this program? The reason I ask is because I am in a remote location with a limited data plan. If this program generates constant Internet traffic I'm worried I will use my monthly quota up in short order. Can anyone shed some light on this question? Many thanks. Jim W8JGP

      Sent from my iPad
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2014
        It could go from zero to a whole bunch... If you turn off the
        connection to the APRS-IS, it won't use any data. If you connect to
        the world wide full feed it will use a bunch. If you connect to the
        firenet server, you'll get even more!

        You can use filters to keep the traffic down by only getting data of
        interest to you.

        So, in reality, you can use as much or as little as you desire.

        On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Jim Marco jmarco1955@...
        [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Greetings. Can anyone tell me how much Internet usage is generated by this program? The reason I ask is because I am in a remote location with a limited data plan. If this program generates constant Internet traffic I'm worried I will use my monthly quota up in short order. Can anyone shed some light on this question? Many thanks. Jim W8JGP
        >
        > Sent from my iPad
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        > Posted by: Jim Marco <jmarco1955@...>
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo Groups Links

      • wb2lhp
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2014
          Thank you Jim! I will play with the filter settings and see if I can restrict it to northern Michigan.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2014
            Well, if you play with the filters to see if you can expand it to Northern Michigan, you'll increase your internet usage. By default, the program will not attempt to get that much data. Open Configure | General and look at your range filter. That will determine how far around you the program will pull data. I have mine at 500 (50.0 miles).

            To get all of Northern Michigan you'd probably need at least 80 miles.

            On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM, jmarco1955@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Thank you Jim! I will play with the filter settings and see if I can restrict it to northern Michigan.

          • Bob Harris
            Message 5 of 6 , May 30, 2014
              An alternate to using the range filter is to set the range to 0 then in the "Add filter" box put in a area filter, the coordinates of which define the area from which you want to receive.

              From the JavAPRS filter guide:

              #7 Area filter
              The area filter works the same as range filter but the filter is defined as a
              box of coordinates. The coordinates can also been seen as upper left coordinate
              and lower right. South and west are negative. Up to 9 area filters can be
              defined at the same time.
              Syntax: a/latN/lonW/latS/lonE
              Where: a = area command
              latN = North latitude border (-90 to 90)
              lonW = West longitude border (-180 to 180)
              latS = South latitide border (-90 to 90)
              lonE = East longitude border (-180 to 180)
              Sample:
              a/50/-130/20/-70 This will pass all traffic in US
              From V3.0 onward, lat and lon can be in decimals. E.g. 58.5

              (We use this approach for the command center of the Prouty bike rides)

              On 5/30/2014 9:15 PM, James Ewen ve6srv@... [aprsisce] wrote:

              Well, if you play with the filters to see if you can expand it to Northern Michigan, you'll increase your internet usage. By default, the program will not attempt to get that much data. Open Configure | General and look at your range filter. That will determine how far around you the program will pull data. I have mine at 500 (50.0 miles).

              To get all of Northern Michigan you'd probably need at least 80 miles.

              On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM, jmarco1955@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Thank you Jim! I will play with the filter settings and see if I can restrict it to northern Michigan.

              Bob Harris (K9UDX)
              Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
              Silvercreek Gossip Girl
              Bath, NH

            • wb2lhp
              Message 6 of 6 , May 31, 2014