Compressed Beacon

  • Nick B.
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2014
      Hi,

      I have compressed beacons configured but my packets appear to be
      transmitted uncompressed.

      1:Fm G4IRX-10 To APWW10 Via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 <UI F/C Pid=F0 Len=67>
      [14:26:23T]
      @132623h5253.75N/00110.44Wl142/000/A=000070Nick g4irx@...

      I have checked timestamp, HHMMSS, altitude, compressed and coursespeed
      under the configure beacon settings. IS there something else obvious
      I've missed?

      Thanks,
      Nick.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2014
        You cannot transmit both altitude and course/speed in a compressed
        packet. You have to pick one or the other. From page 37 of aprs101.pdf:

        > cs is the compressed course/speed or
        > compressed pre-calculated radio range or
        > compressed altitude

        APRSISCE/32 will ignore the Compressed checkbox if you ask for both
        altitude and course/speed.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2014
          And just for the record, I did consider putting the altitude in as
          /A=nnnnnn in this case, but I figured that if you're asking for
          compressed packets, adding 9 extra bytes to the transmission would be
          counter-productive. But switching to non-compressed would at least get
          the question asked and possibly the spec investigated.

          On 5/20/2014 11:25 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@...
          [aprsisce] wrote:
          > You cannot transmit both altitude and course/speed in a compressed
          > packet. You have to pick one or the other. From page 37 of aprs101.pdf:
          >
          >> cs is the compressed course/speed or
          >> compressed pre-calculated radio range or
          >> compressed altitude
          > APRSISCE/32 will ignore the Compressed checkbox if you ask for both
          > altitude and course/speed.

          > On 5/20/2014 9:42 AM, 'Nick B.' nick@... [aprsisce] wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I have compressed beacons configured but my packets appear to be
          >> transmitted uncompressed.
          >>
          >> 1:Fm G4IRX-10 To APWW10 Via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 <UI F/C Pid=F0 Len=67>
          >> [14:26:23T]
          >> @132623h5253.75N/00110.44Wl142/000/A=000070Nick g4irx@...
          >>
          >> I have checked timestamp, HHMMSS, altitude, compressed and coursespeed
          >> under the configure beacon settings. IS there something else obvious
          >> I've missed?
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >> Nick.
          >>

          >> ------------------------------------
          >> Posted by: "Nick B." <nick@...>
          >> ------------------------------------
          >>
          >> Yahoo Groups Links

          > Posted by: "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <KJ4ERJ@...>
          >
          > Yahoo Groups Links

        • g4irx_uk
          Message 4 of 4 , May 20, 2014
            Thanks Lyn, removed course/speed (as It's a fixed station) and it is now transmitting compressed.

            73
            Nick.