TS2000 & APRSIS32 - Recieving APRS Packets via RF

  • jay_2904
    Message 1 of 19 , May 11, 2014

      Hi All,

      I have a question regarding  receiving RF packets and posting them to the internet using a TS2000.

      A bit of background first though-

      Edit - added this info - I have the TS-2000 interfaced to my PC via a Digi Keyer 2 interface.  The interface works well for HRD, WSPR etc, and I believe I've got the port settings set correct through APRSIS32 because the program is keying the radio into TX and the TS-2000 is indicating that the TNC is connected to the PC and sending packets.

      After a LOT of playing around, I've been able to get APRSIS32 to talk to the TS2000, that being that on the TS-2000 the CON light lights up green when APRS packets are received by the radio and are forwarded to the PC.  And I also have been able to set up APRSIS32 and the TS2000 so the program tells the radio to TX every 30mins (Beacon) and this is working well.

      BUT - from what I can see I'm not decoding any RF packets that have been received by the TS-2000.  I think everything (all stations spots on the APRSIS32 screen) have come via the internet.  If I go to View>RF it shows no stations.

      I was wondering how I can check if I'm decoding any RF packets - packets sent from the TS-2000.  Is there a logging option I can enable to monitor the TS-2000 to PC packet line to see what's going on?

      Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the TS2000 set up so it receives APRS packets and forwards them to the APRS server.  We are currently getting experimental balloons flying over with APRS beacons on them, so I'd like to be able to receive the balloon beacons and post them to the internet.

      Happy to give more info on my settings if needed.

      Thank you !

      73

      Jayson

      VK1JA

        Message 3 of 19 , May 11, 2014
          By Digikeyer 2 interface, do you mean the Microham Microkeyer 2 or something else?  I have got my aprsisce working with a KamPlus and a Yaesu mobile radio.  With some more info I might be able to help?

          Joe

          Sent from Windows Mail

          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2014
            My question is, if you're using the TS-2000 for APRS, and it's NOT on HF, why aren't you using the built in TNC with the sub band?

            If you're using it for HF then yes, you need an audio interface as the built in TNC won't support 300baud IIRC, but I could be wrong.

            I've used my TS-2000 quite happily on 2M and 70cm for both 1200 and 9600 baud APRS with the built in TNC and APRSIS32.

            My port settings for my TS-2000 if you want them. Again, Sub band, built in TNC, 2M or 70cm, works great for balloon tracking :)

            <!--RFPort[0]-->
            <RFPort Name="TS2000">
            <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
            <Device>COM4:57600,N,8,1</Device>
            <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>FULLDUP ON</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>KISS ON</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>RESTART!!0</OpenCmd>
            <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
            <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>
            <CloseCmd>TC 1!TS 1</CloseCmd>
            <CloseCmd>TN 2,0!TN 2,0</CloseCmd>
            <QuietTime>30</QuietTime>
            <Enabled>0</Enabled>
            <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
            <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
            <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
            <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
            <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
            <NoGateME>0</NoGateME>
            <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
            <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
            <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
            <DXEnabled>0</DXEnabled>
            <DXPath>RFONLY</DXPath>
            <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
            <MessagePath></MessagePath>
            <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
            <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
            <!--DigiXform-->
            </RFPort>
            <!--RFPort[0]-->

            I don't remember the radio menu's, and the radio is packed away due to remodeling, but the Packet has to be using the built in TNC on the sub band. RF baud should be 1200, Comm port speed is set to 57600, you just have to ensure that the APRSIS32 setting, and the radio are set to the same thing (feel like I'm stating the obvious)

            Getting the TS-2000 menu settings correct is more time consuming than setting up the TS-2000

            If you're insistent on using the sound interface, or you're working on HF where it's required, then I hope someone else can help you. I never got my HF gate set up and running sadly, got distracted by other things.

            Good luck,
            Adam
            KC2ANT

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 19 , May 12, 2014

              Hi Adam,

              Thanks for the reply.

              I should have mentioned that I'm using the TS2000 on the 2m band and using the inbuilt TNC - hence why the CON light is flashing when the radio sends the packets to the PC.  And yep, I'm using a MicroHam Digi Keyer 2 (DK2) as the interface between the TS2000 and the PC - the DK2 plugs into the PC via a USB plug and interfaces with the radio = full CAT control, plus the DK2 has two sound cards built in.

              Tomorrow I'll save your XML file to my system (change a few settings to get it working) and see if it helps any.

              So my question is, how do I tell if APRSIS32 is receiving packets from my TS2000 or the internet?  Is there a log trace I can watch to see if the packets are coming in via IS (Internet Service) or RF?

              If you need any more info just let me know.

            • Rob Giuliano
              Message 6 of 19 , May 12, 2014
                The DK2 is NOT a TNC, but a sound card interface.  It can hear the audio, but you have to tell it how to decode the audio and how to send it to the computer so the computer knows what to do with it.

                If you don't want to use the built in TNC, then you need to use a sound card TNC (DireWolf, SV2AGW, or UZ7HO are the most popular).

                THEN you can setup APRSIS32 to inteface with the compatable port from those interfaces (TCP/IP port).  More info here:
                If I read his note correctly, Adam is using the built in TNC, so the DK2 wouldn't be "in the loop".

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 19 , May 12, 2014
                • 1 Attachment
                • 1 KB

                On 5/12/2014 8:58 AM, jay_2904@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                So my question is, how do I tell if APRSIS32 is receiving packets from my TS2000 or the internet?  Is there a log trace I can watch to see if the packets are coming in via IS (Internet Service) or RF?

                If you see an asterisk (*) on packets in the scrolling portion of the display, you're getting them from RF.  You can also double-click the thin vertical bar just to the right of the map and it will show you the count of stations received "R via RF (D Direct L Local)" along with lots of other stuff.

                The View / RF submenu should also have numbers in the () like (from my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate):

              • Bob Burns W9BU
                Message 8 of 19 , May 12, 2014
                  On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM, jay_2904@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  I should have mentioned that I'm using the TS2000 on the 2m band and using the inbuilt TNC - hence why the CON light is flashing when the radio sends the packets to the PC.  And yep, I'm using a MicroHam Digi Keyer 2 (DK2) as the interface between the TS2000 and the PC - the DK2 plugs into the PC via a USB plug and interfaces with the radio = full CAT control, plus the DK2 has two sound cards built in.

                  The Digi Keyer has the capability of keying the radio and that's fine for digital modes where the audio is being routed through the Digi Keyer to the sound card in your computer. In this case, the software on your computer decides to transmit, so it sends a command to the Digi Keyer which causes the Digi Keyer to close a relay or solid-state switch which is tied to the PTT input on the mic or accessory jack on the radio. In other words, the keying interface is external to the radio and in your Digi Keyer.

                  The internal TNC needs to be able to key the radio, too, and it should be able to do that through its internal connections. In other words, when the software that is accessing the TNC (in your case, APRSISCE/32) commands the TNC to beacon, the TNC will construct a packet and tell the radio to transmit. In other words, the keying interface is internal to the radio and contained within the internal TNC.

                  If it were me, I'd connect to the internal TNC using a terminal program (TeraTerm, HyperTerm, etc.) so I could talk to the TNC directly. The TNC uses a simple command line interface and the TNC commands are described in the TS-2000 manual. MYCALL will let you assign your callsign, BTEXT will let you construct a string of text to beacon, and BEACON should cause the TNC to key the radio and send your BTEXT. One note, the internal TNC probably will not transmit if the squelch is open.

                  If all that works, then I think you're back to digging into your APRSISCE/32 configuration. Since the TS-2000 internal TNC is the same as the TM-D700 TNC without the APRS features, then anything that APRSISCE/32 can do with the D700 in Packet mode should work on the TS-2000.

                  Bob...

                • Adam Mahnke
                  Message 9 of 19 , May 12, 2014
                    You're adding way to many pieces to the puzzle, therefore there are a lot of things to go wrong.

                    The soundcard interface requires a software TNC, I wouldn't recommend that, it's just something else to go wrong.

                    Internal TNC, Serial Cable to the PC, APRSIS32 that's all you need.

                    Adam
                    KC2ANT

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 10 of 19 , May 13, 2014

                      G'day Adam,

                      Sorry, in my attempt to give a lot of information to try and solve the problem, I think I confused the problem by giving too much information!

                      Simply put - that's how I have it set up - Internal TNC of TS2000 - connected to the PC via DK2 interface (like a RS323 cable) - APRSIS32 software.

                      APRSIS32 is talking to the TS2000 because the beacon function is keying the radio and transmitting.

                      The TS2000 is talking to the PC as the Packet CON light lights up to say it's connected every time the inbuilt TNC in the TS2000 receives a APRS signal and forwards it to the PC.

                      BUT, from what I can see, APRSIS32 isn't showing any of the APRS signal/packets that have been forwarded to the PC from the inbuilt TNC...

                      And if I look at the menu item View>RF>Local it reads '0' even though I can see the inbuilt TNC is sending lots packets to the pc :(

                      This might be a bit of a tough one, I might try and find someone local that can come and see it in action.

                      Cheers

                      Message 11 of 19 , May 13, 2014
                        Enables / View Logs / Port(<YourPortName>) and then Enable it.  Let it run for a while and see what it can tell  you.  You might even want to disable and re-enable the port after having the Trace Log Enabled.

                        Once it's run for a while and you see anything confusing in the log, copy it and paste it into an e-mail here and we'll get some interpretation of what it's saying.

                        BTW, what is the callsign-SSID of APRSISCE/32 that we're talking about?

                        Message 12 of 19 , May 13, 2014
                          You say the radio transmits, but does it really transmit audio or just go into transmit mode?

                          I see 2 possibilities:
                          1. The DK2 is not passing "Non-CAT" data back and forth to the computer.
                          2. Radio COMM port is still in CAT mode
                             Less likely since the radio indicates PKT mode.

                          1> Are you trying to use the DK2 "CAT interface" as a generic computer serial port for the internal TNC to computer connection?
                             I am not sure it is designed to be used in that manner, at least from the manual.
                             I have the USB 3, and the only reference is as a CAT interface.  I've never tried to use it as a siple COMM port like you're doing.

                          Have you connected through a terminal program on your pc to check if decoded packets are being feed through?  My guess, it isn't even passing anything back to the computer [RF(0)] when checked as the MK2 is expecting CAT commands and responses.

                          Now try sending and see if the information actually gets pass through and sent out as a packet.

                          Do you have another RS232 port to try it with?

                          Robert Giuliano
                          KB8RCO

                          Message 13 of 19 , May 18, 2014

                            Thanks Rob for the reply, and all that have helped regarding this.

                            Rob, it appears you were spot on!  I emailed Microham and asked them as it appeared that the packets were stopping at the MicroHam interface and not being passed on to the PC.

                            This is the brief email reply I got from MicroHam.

                            "microHAM's products *are not designed to support an application* (the internal TNC) operating on the transceiver.  microHAM Router *DOES NOT* support the internal TNC function of the TS-2000 as those commands are not part of the Kenwood command set (pg 115-141) and do not appear to be available when computer control (Router/Digikeyer II) is connected."

                            The good news is it wasn't a set up error on my behalf, but it seems I'll have to use a different way of setting up APRS with the TS2000.  I 'think' I read somewhere there's a software program that can act like a TNC/modem, I just need to feed it with the audio out of the TS2000?  I'll look into it further.

                            73

                            Jayson

                          • Rob Giuliano
                            Message 14 of 19 , May 18, 2014
                              Actually several:
                                SV2AGW
                                UZ7HO
                                Dire Wolf
                              I think I mentioned them in a previous post - maybe for something else.

                              Remember to check the APRSIS32 WIKI on ports as these come in on TCP, not a COMM port.

                              Robert Giuliano
                              KB8RCO

                              Message 15 of 19 , May 18, 2014
                                Or, as has been suggested numerous times, just use the TNC built into the radio. It works quite well.

                                No need to complicate the issue. Get rid of all the extra garbage.

                                From: "jay_2904@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                                Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: 18 May 2014 18:12:11 -0700
                                To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                                ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 16 of 19 , May 18, 2014
                                  On 5/18/2014 9:12 PM, jay_2904@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                  > The good news is it wasn't a set up error on my behalf, but it seems
                                  > I'll have to use a different way of setting up APRS with the TS2000. I
                                  > 'think' I read somewhere there's a software program that can act like a
                                  > TNC/modem, I just need to feed it with the audio out of the TS2000?

                                  Why not just use the internal TNC? There's no need for a software TNC
                                  when you have a perfectly good hardware TNC inside your radio.

                                  However, upon consulting the TS-2000 manual, I see the problem. The
                                  radio is designed so that computer control of the radio and access to
                                  the internal TNC both go through the same COM port on the back of the
                                  radio. That's unfortunate. Your DigiKeyer2 needs to use the radio's COM
                                  port in order to control the radio. But, you also need the COM port to
                                  access the internal TNC.

                                  One solution would be to get an old-fashioned A-B switch with DB-9
                                  connectors. Connect the DigiKeyer2 to the A port; connect your
                                  computer's serial port to the B port; connect the radio's COM port to
                                  the C or common port of the A-B switch. When you want to have the
                                  DigiKeyer2 control the radio, select switch position A. When you want to
                                  do packet or APRS using the internal TNC, select switch position B.

                                  Bob...
                                • Mike Miller
                                  Message 17 of 19 , May 18, 2014
                                    As the OP said, you can't use rig control and the TNC at the
                                    same time. I use UZ7HO and Paclink for Winlink and UISS for digi
                                    through the ISS. These use my psk audio interface and it is
                                    faster for me than reconfiguring for using the TNC.

                                    73
                                    Mike kc9doa

                                    On 19 May 2014 at 1:29, ve6srv@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                    > Or, as has been suggested numerous times, just use the TNC
                                    > built into the radio. It works quite well.
                                    >
                                    > No need to complicate the issue. Get rid of all the extra
                                    > garbage.

                                  • jay_2904
                                    Message 18 of 19 , May 19, 2014

                                      Thanks Rob, I'll check the software out that you mentioned.

                                      To answer other questions about not using the MicroHam interface at all, I only use APRS when there are balloon launches, and the MicroHam interface runs a lot of other parts of my station and it would be a right pain in the backside to disconnect it when I use APRS.  It'd much easier and faster to simply install/configure one piece of software and then double click on it, but thank you for the thoughts and ideas.

                                    • kb8rco@yahoo.com
                                      Message 19 of 19 , May 19, 2014

                                        But he already has the interface connected - MicoHAM DigiKeyer 2 (I think it was)

                                        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android