Network Interfacing

  • Anthony (N2KI)
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2014
      Does APRSIS currently support connecting to the software via a LAN?  For example, I have APRSIS running on my server.  I would like to remotely access the program via my LAN and see the map on another computer via the LAN.

      This would be a nice addition if it is possible,

      Regards,

      Anthony (N2KI)

    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2014
        Run VNC or Desktop Sharing for such a function.

        You can run APRSIS32 as a "local server" and anything it receives will be sent to another instance, but if you want to see the map that APRSIS32 sees on one machine, viewed on another VNC or Desktop Sharing provide the means for doing that.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2014
          Rob,

          I'm sorry I do not know what VNC is.

          Regards,

          Anthony (N2KI)

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
              First:
              VNC - Virtual Network Connection.

              Try looking at TightVNC (one of the most popular) at http://www.tightvnc.com/.
              It allows you to "take control of" the desktop of another machine, and see it on your screen.
              Windows has a Desktop Sharing application also (which I think allows for sound as well).

              As for the local server, first, I think you need the development version of APRSIS32:

              Then, it is just a specific port type "IS-SERVER":
                 I use port 8196 (as an example)

              Last, is the second APRSIS32 app running from another machine and configure the IS port to point to the "main" APRSIS32 instance
                >Configure >Ports >APRS-IS <Device button>
                   IP or DNS:  <IP of "MAIN">
                        Port:  8196             (what you used on your IS-Server" settings

              Robert Giuliano
              KB8RCO

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
                Rob,

                Exactly what I am after.  I use Teamviewer to  do the VNC stuff.  Sorry, I didn't know the abbreviation. I will download the developer version.  Thanks for the help.

                Regards,

                Anthony (N2KI)

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
                  Good Luck

                  Robert Giuliano
                  KB8RCO

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014

                    Hi Anthony,

                    I use Teamviewer as well. Nice program. I don’t use it to view my APRSIS32 instance though.

                    APRSIS32 can be set up to be a server. This means another instance of APRSIS32 ON the same or different PC can be connected to it. This other instance (or APRS client) can be on the same PC or on another PC on the same LAN. You can read a little more about it here:

                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/is-server-port

                    If you have a single radio port connected to your primary instance, this is a good way to see the data on both instances.

                    If you use a separate PC, you won’t have to have tiles collected for each machine if you don’t want to. The tile folders on the primary machine could be shared. On a second PC, map the shared directory to a drive and now they can both use the same tiles.

                    Have fun!

                    Best regards,

                    Fred N7FMH

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014

                      I was just reminded Remote Desktop is also an option.

                      While type this, I am using Teamviewer for an offsite PC and remote desktop to a local PC. J

                      Best regards,

                      Fred N7FMH