google earth

  • n0zoa
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014

      i couldnt find anything in a search, sorry if its already been talked about, but how can i put google earth map on map. i already have the APRS layer ion muy google earth, but would like to have it on this map

    • Fred Hillhouse Jr
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014

        It is not possible. Sorry!

        Best regards,

        Fred N7FMH

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
          Google's terms of use preclude me from using it as a map source.  This is also true for most of the on-line map providers.

          On 4/28/2014 1:47 PM, Fred Hillhouse Jr wrote:

          It is not possible. Sorry!

          Best regards,

          Fred N7FMH

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014

            Not only that they will block you for breaking them. I used an APRS app for a Symbian mobile, and selecting Google maps came back with tiles with something like blocked because of unauthorised use.

            That said I don’t know if anyone has contacted Google and asked if APRS use could be an exception, as in the scheme of things we are a very small band of people.

            Steve

            G6UIM

            i couldnt find anything in a search, sorry if its already been talked about, but how can i put google earth map on map. i already have the APRS layer ion muy google earth, but would like to have it on this map

          • Brandon Jackson KJ4NBB

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014

                The terms state that no caching is allowed. It would make Google tiles unavailable while offline.

                Best regards,

                Fred N7FMH

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014

                  If I recall it also says not for use in mobile navigation devices. So even your own API key would not circumvent that.

                  But they might if approached allow a low user, free system to do it, such as APRS

                  I think the terms are really aimed at stopping commercial users, from profiting from the free maps.

                  So unless someone wants to go to the effort, of writing up a proposal for Google to exempt APRS and/or APRSIS32 from the terms, it’s not going to happen.

                  Steve G6UIM