Kenwood TH-D72A internal GPS output to APRSIS on laptop

  • bramz@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2014

      Hello,

      I am new to the group but wanted to share a tip related to the interface of the TH-D72A with a laptop running APRSIS/32.

      As has been shared already on this forum and in other articles, the TH-D72A is a great radio to interface with your laptop for portable/mobile operations and allows you to simultaneously run on the laptop the APRSIS port (if connected to the internet) as well as the RF input received locally by the D72.

      I wanted to thank Jerry (VE6AB) for his great pictures and help with steering me in the right direction related to this set-up (and for putting up with my e-mails).

      The issue that nearly drove me crazy, was that after the connections were set-up everything was working great with the beacons arriving from both the internet and the D72. The transmit was working as well both over the internet and through the D72, BUT....

      I could not get the internal GPS of the D72 to send the GPS data to the laptop over the PC (USB) port.

      The GPS box was checked in the Port set-up. The Baud rates matched, TM710 APRS set-up was used, the D72 TNC was off when first connecting to the computer to allow the PC to start the TNC, the GPS icon was blinking indicating a good GPS signal in the D72,  and the PC Port Output was turned on in the D72-APRS Menu 35.

      I rechecked multiple times all settings and extensively researched the forums and articles as well as followed the excellent advice provided by Jerry. So what else could be wrong.....?

      Answer:  In order for the internal GPS information to be passed out through the PC port you must also go into the D72 GPS Menu 202 and direct the GPS output to go to the PC Port along with the other data.

      Eureka!! It works beautifully.  Being a novice at the APRSIS I realize that some of you TH-D72A users may say "So, of course" but it is not mentioned anywhere else that I could find so I hope this is the right place to post it. Let me know Lynn if I posted this in the wrong place. Hopefully this will help others who run into this same problem.

      Thanks.

      Bill

      K8BDR

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2014
          Hello Lynn,

          I tripled checked and ran a test and yes I receive the APRS data from the internet and also the RF information from the D72 even if the D72 is outputing its internal GPS data to the PC.

          There are a couple of stations nearby which I receive directly and I also sent a beacon directly from my mobile and received that information just fine. It shows up in the list and also on the map. In my opinion this is a very powerful feature.

          The only potential concern that some folks may have is that obviously the list gets rather long because the internal GPS position from the D72 updates very frequently and is listed and interspersed with  the internet received stations as well as the stations received via RF from the D72. If you are not on the move with the D72 it looks like turning off the GPS while in a stationary position, once you have confirmed your location, will help keep the stream list smaller.

          Thanks Lynn for the great program. It is awesome indeed, and I enjoy learning more and more about it each day. I will share any other items I discover during my usage that are not noted on the forum or other sources. Any additional caveats relating to the D72 or D710 interface are appreciated and welcomed.

          Kindest regards,
          Bill
          K8BDR

          ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <kj4erj@...> wrote :

[...]

        • Rob Giuliano
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2014
            Are you sure the received information is over RF?
              Does the callsign from your mobile have a '*' after it?
            Remember, if you are connected to the internet, and ANY IGATE receives the RF packet, your station will receive that packet through IS, unless it receives it from RF first.

            On way to be sure is to try the mobile transmit with INTERNET OFF (on the APRSIS32), just to be sure the packet is being transfered from the HT to the computer through the USB/serial interface.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 25, 2014
              I'm going to bump an old thread rather than start a new one here.  I got an older netbook and loaded APRSIS on it to work with my TH-D72.  I've had a few questions in setting it up, and unfortunately couldn't find a definitive soup-to-nuts document on doing it.  Among my unanswered questions:

              1. Is it possible to get this GPS data over the wire to the laptop without losing the other data?  I'll do some further experimenting this morning.
              2. Can APRSIS transmit encoded/compressed GPS data in the packets?
              3. What GPS-related settings in the APRSIS software should I be tweaking for NMEA, APRSIS and Port settings?  I've run the software for a couple years on my D710, stationary, with a hardcoded GPS location.  So GPS is new to me here.
              4. I came across this page, and wonder what I should do with it.  For my port, I selected the D710, and it seems to play more or less fine.  But is there any advantage in using the TH-D72 XML?  Which file in particular do I edit?  I assume it's the one XML file in the directory of the APRSIS executable.  I chopped out my RF port definition, and put this one in, careful to preserve the same position.  But the next time I launched the app, it complained about a malformed config and reloaded a backup.  My fault, or a fault in the provided XML?  Some explanatory text of what to do, or whether it confers any advantage over using the base D710 config, would be great: TH-D72 - APRSISCE/32 The future of Amateur Radio APRS

              73, KD0KZE / Paul
            • Rob Giuliano
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 25, 2014
                I can help with some aspects, but not all:
                4. There is only 1 XML that Lynn uses for all settings.
                   >Side: wish he'd break it up some, but this works
                The portion of the port settings that needs changing are ONLY the
                  <OpenCmd> {command here} </OpenCmd>
                and
                  <CloseCmd> {command here} </CloseCmd>
                The rest of the settings are yours, and some may need to match other setting in your XML.  This could cause the complaint.

                BTW, I did a quick comparison and didn't see any difference between the D72 opena nd closed commands and the D710.  It appears you were using the right configuration all the time.

                I don't have a D72, so can't help with getting the GPS info "out the wire".

                Good Luck!
                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 25, 2014
                  On 12/25/2014 10:29 AM, pfbram@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                  I'm going to bump an old thread rather than start a new one here.  I got an older netbook and loaded APRSIS on it to work with my TH-D72.  I've had a few questions in setting it up, and unfortunately couldn't find a definitive soup-to-nuts document on doing it.  Among my unanswered questions:

                  1. Is it possible to get this GPS data over the wire to the laptop without losing the other data?  I'll do some further experimenting this morning.

                  As far as I've read in the D72 Yahoo group, there is no way to get the internal GPS data to interleave with decoded APRS packets using the D72.  Sorry.

                  2. Can APRSIS transmit encoded/compressed GPS data in the packets?

                  Configure / Beacon / Compressed.  But you'll need a source of GPS data into APRSISCE/32 or a fixed location (center, zoom in, and hit Transmit confirming your intention to Move ME to Center).

                  3. What GPS-related settings in the APRSIS software should I be tweaking for NMEA, APRSIS and Port settings?  I've run the software for a couple years on my D710, stationary, with a hardcoded GPS location.  So GPS is new to me here.

                  Unless you're setting up a direct GPS connection to APRSISCE/32, there's nothing you need to do here.  The Configure / Port / NMEA is for a dedicated NMEA-providing GPS connection.  Configure / Ports / APRS-IS is only for the APRS-IS network connection.  Configure / Port / <YourRFPort> has a check-box for GPS/NMEA, but that's only for TNC ports that provide a passthrough.  In this latter case, once the RF port is configured with GPS/NMEA checked, you'd be able to check Enable / GPS Enabled to begin using this feed, but AFAIK that's not possible with the D72.  I do use that on my D700 however, which is fed by a Nuvi 350 and an Argent GTRANS cable.

                  4. I came across this page, and wonder what I should do with it.  For my port, I selected the D710, and it seems to play more or less fine.  But is there any advantage in using the TH-D72 XML?  Which file in particular do I edit?  I assume it's the one XML file in the directory of the APRSIS executable.  I chopped out my RF port definition, and put this one in, careful to preserve the same position.  But the next time I launched the app, it complained about a malformed config and reloaded a backup.  My fault, or a fault in the provided XML?  Some explanatory text of what to do, or whether it confers any advantage over using the base D710 config, would be great: TH-D72 - APRSISCE/32 The future of Amateur Radio APRS

                  You probably missed an XML delimiter or had a bad copy/paste.  If you want, you can e-mail me your APRSIS32.XML file (yes, the one in the directory with APRSIS32.EXE) and I'll put the port in for you.  Just remember that APRSIS32 must always be closed when manually manipulating the XML file as it is completely re-written when the client exits.

                  73, KD0KZE / Paul

                • Paul Bramscher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 31, 2014
                    On 12/25/2014 10:56 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@...
                    [aprsisce] wrote:

                    > As far as I've read in the D72 Yahoo group, there is no way to get the
                    > internal GPS data to interleave with decoded APRS packets using the
                    > D72. Sorry.

                    I believe I got it working today. I've had some time off from the
                    rat-race lately, so I could actually do something interesting.

                    What I did -- Created ports for APRSIS, NMEA and TH-D72. Both the NMEA
                    and TH-D72 ports (in my case) are aimed at COM3, 9600 8/N/1. And under
                    Enables I have GPS Enabled.

                    What I notice in the upper-left port status pane is that GPS
                    occasionally "loses fix" (rarely, less than 1-5% of the time), but
                    regains it almost immediately. I'm not sure if that's normal behavior,
                    poor signals inside my stucco home, or because I'm working two "software
                    ports" competing on the same physical COM3 connection. In any case, it
                    doesn't appear to be a problem.

                    Braving -10 windchill, I put a magmount on my Jeep and drove around the
                    block with the laptop and TH-D72. My icon on the map properly moved
                    around, and I was able to fire off some beacons with the software which
                    got RX'd and I-Gated by other stations. (My HT inside my home just
                    doesn't put out enough power to reach the nearby I-Gates.)

                    > You probably missed an XML delimiter or had a bad copy/paste. If you
                    > want, you can e-mail me your APRSIS32.XML file (yes, the one in the
                    > directory with APRSIS32.EXE) and I'll put the port in for you. Just
                    > remember that APRSIS32 must always be closed when manually manipulating
                    > the XML file as it is completely re-written when the client exits.

                    Thanks -- I'll do a little more tinkering this weekend. I thought I'd
                    copied that XML verbatim, but neglected to change the COM port setting
                    to my situation, which may have caused issues also. I'll email my XML,
                    though I may be in business now.

                    73, KD0KZE / Paul
                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2
                      Yes, my TH-D72A works perfectly with APRSIS software. The only thing I have to do, if the TH isn't connected, is turn off the GPS function within the software. Haven't had any problems yet, the Kenwood is a great HT