Path Observation

  • chuckbland
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2014
      I have View set to show only stations with my Shriek.

      I have Paths set with only "RF Only" and "Me" checked.

      It is interesting that the program still paints paths for all the traffic it sees. I get the lines that zig-zag through points were digis and the originating stations should be, but aren't shown.

      I would think if it isn't making it through the View filter, it's path would not need to be painted either.

      Is this how it is supposed to work?

      Chuck

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2014
        Two attachments.

        Chuck

        Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2014
          You have "ME" check in the Paths display.  This means that you'll be seeing paths for the most recent packet received by ME which is your IGate.  It doesn't matter if the source station or intermediate digipeaters are visible, as long as ME is checked, you'll see those.

          If you bring up Enables / View Logs / Port(YourRFPort) and enable it and watch the lines vs the received packets, I think they'll correlate.  Of course, you will need to know the approximate locations of the local digipeaters to know if they match up or not.

          Also, if you check Screen / Labels / Callsign, then you'll see labels on the intervening points.  But what I can't figure out is why you're not seeing the symbols of the digipeaters and originating station.  What version are you running (About will show you) and is it Development or the (very old) General release?

          On 3/26/2014 6:30 PM, cclaytonbland@... wrote:
          Two attachments.

          Chuck

        • chuckbland
          Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26, 2014
            ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <kj4erj@...> wrote :

            Also, if you check Screen / Labels / Callsign, then you'll see labels on the intervening points.
            [Chuck] Yes, that does work. But with View/All disabled and View/Shriek/!K6ARC! enabled, I would expect to only see paths for packets bearing my shreik.... and right now there aren't any because all the gear is off.

            But what I can't figure out is why you're not seeing the symbols of the digipeaters and originating station.
            [Chuck] This is the heart of my original question. With the only stations supposed to be visible are the ones with my shriek !K6ARC!, why are these paths to the stations blocked by the filter showing at all? Or is path display not affected by the other filters? I would hope that the only paths that would be displayed would be the ones for packets that make is through the View filter. Am I wrong about this?

            What version are you running (About will show you) and is it Development or the (very old) General release?
            [Chuck] :-) Nope..... not gonna get me on this one again. That was last week's lesson. All my machines are running the development version now. And I did check to make sure.

            [Chuck]
            Message 6 of 7 , Mar 27, 2014
              On 3/27/2014 2:06 AM, cclaytonbland@... wrote:

              > ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <kj4erj@...> wrote :
              > But what I can't figure out is why you're not seeing the symbols of
              > the digipeaters and originating station.
              > [Chuck] This is the heart of my original question. With the only
              > stations supposed to be visible are the ones with my shriek !K6ARC!,
              > why are these paths to the stations blocked by the filter showing at
              > all? Or is path display not affected by the other filters? I would
              > hope that the only paths that would be displayed would be the ones for
              > packets that make is through the View filter. Am I wrong about this?

              That's the ME option. You're seeing the path of the last packet
              received via RF by your own station. But if you uncheck ME, you won't
              get anything at all, ever. I believe you're after Network (Links) which
              should then only show the network paths for any station that is
              displayed on your screen, which would be the ones with your !shriek!.

              Message 7 of 7 , Mar 27, 2014
                On 3/27/2014 7:00 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                > On 3/27/2014 2:06 AM, cclaytonbland@... wrote:
                >>
                >> ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <kj4erj@...> wrote :
                >> But what I can't figure out is why you're not seeing the symbols of
                >> the digipeaters and originating station.
                >> [Chuck] This is the heart of my original question. With the only
                >> stations supposed to be visible are the ones with my shriek !K6ARC!,
                >> why are these paths to the stations blocked by the filter showing at
                >> all? Or is path display not affected by the other filters? I would
                >> hope that the only paths that would be displayed would be the ones for
                >> packets that make is through the View filter. Am I wrong about this?
                >>
                > That's the ME option. You're seeing the path of the last packet
                > received via RF by your own station. But if you uncheck ME, you won't
                > get anything at all, ever. I believe you're after Network (Links) which
                > should then only show the network paths for any station that is
                > displayed on your screen, which would be the ones with your !shriek!.

                Oh, and Station (Pkt) you probably also want to check which would then
                show the path the displayed station's last packet took.

                Station (Pkt) shows the path of a displayed station's last packet.
                Network shows paths that went THROUGH a displayed station.
                ME shows the last packet received by your own station.
                RF Only constrains the packet display to show only those received via
                RF, not via the APRS-IS.

                At least, I think that's how they play together! I'd actually have to
                crack open the code to make sure.

                Want to see a crazy APRS-IS-based display? Select Station + Network +
                All + Flash and then do a View / None followed by View / Paths (to make
                sure that's the only view option set). It's most interesting with a
                full feed that's been active for a while so that all stations are known,
                but you should end up seeing stations popping in and out with lines as
                each packet is processed.

                If you connect to the non-filtered RF feed server (ldeffenb.dnsalias.net
                port 6366), you can get a good idea of where the RF is active, at least
                in ares with an APRSISCE/32 IGate feeding non-filtered packets through.
                But please remember that my server only handles 16 incoming connections,
                so don't keep it up forever.