Fwd: [OSM-talk] Free OSM tile services?

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2014
      Anyone using CloudMade as a map source might want to research this.  If you do check into it, please report back here so we can get the Wiki updated.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2014

        These might be viable alternatives:

        http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Available+WMS+and+WFS+servers

        http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/AvailableWMSServices

        http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/6345/list-of-available-online-wms-services-weather-land-data-place-names

        http://www.spatineo.com/

        Thank You,

        Brian N2KGC

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2014
          So, Because I struggle with this unless someone lays it out exactly what I need to enter, I figured I'd mess with it, and now am providing it for Wiki/general Info

          CycleMap
          Server: b.tile.thunderforest.com

          Landscape
          Server: c.tile.thunderforest.com

          Outdoors
          Server: a.tile.thunderforest.com

          Adam
          KC2ANT
        • Fred Hillhouse Jr
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2014

            Thanks Adam!

            I have actually been using them for some time now. J

            I will add a bit more information for those that might like more trivia.

            From the Thunderforest website:

            http://[abc].tile.thunderforest.com/landscape/${z}/${x}/${y}.png

            The APRSISCE/32 server info will be one of the following because there are 3 servers.

            a.tile.thunderforest.com

            b.tile.thunderforest.com

            c.tile.thunderforest.com

            I usually based which one I pick on my clock. I look at the seconds and if it is in the first 20 seconds, I pick ‘a’. If it is between 21 and 40 seconds I pick ‘b’. And of course 41 to 60 means I pick ‘c’. This in theory should spread the load among a group of users using the same tile set. Often tile servers are replicated. Some have only 2, while some have 3 or 4.

            The APRSISCE/32 URL info will be:

            /landscape/%z/%x/%y.png

            The maximum zoom is 18 since they are not rendered beyond that.

            Best regards,

            Fred N7FMH

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2014
                I dug into the links someone else posted.

                Thunderforest.com I think is the main site

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2014

                  I never found a site that actually uses the tiles with the exception of the CycleMap set. Those are used on the OSM site last knew.

                  Landscape is basically the same as Cyclemap but without a focus on bicycling. Outdoor is also similar.

                  The easiest way I found to evaluate it is to add them to your APRSISCE/32 instance, pan around and if I don’t like it, delete. Of course I never really delete. I leave ti for possible future reference.

                  If you like, I can do a screen shot if you have an area you are interested in.

                  Best regards,

                  Fred N7FMH

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 13, 2014
                    I can confirm that, I use the Thunderforest tiles and you can see what they look like on

                    Colin M0XSD.

                    Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:21 PM

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 13, 2014

                      I didn’t find a way to zoom in/out or pan.

                      Best regards,

                      Fred N7FMH

                      Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:21 PM