TM-D710 I-gate settings in KWD710 ( APRS )

  • dovidpfeiff
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2014
      GM DR OM Lynn and all other OM's

      Am using a TM-D710 as basestation , and have APRSIS32 set up in RF-port type :  KWD710 ( APRS )  .

      Everything works fine , but I would like to set up the station as an I-gate , to make it possible for weak stations in Afrika and the southern parts of Asia , to get registered on the ariss site .     Am quite new in APRS , rather than experimenting myself and causing  possible QRM , I would be eager to hear from the experts what are the proper I-gate settings for my station for the intended ISS use .

      Tnx in advance de  Dovid     4Z4DP
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 20, 2014
        On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM, <pd7dp@...> wrote:

        > Am quite new in APRS , rather than experimenting myself and
        > causing possible QRM , I would be eager to hear from the experts
        > what are the proper I-gate settings for my station for the intended ISS use .

        Attach a radio listening to the appropriate frequency. APRSISCE/32 was
        designed as an internet based APRS application, so if it is connected
        to the internet, it automatically acts as an i-gate when you add an RF
        port.

        On your RF port, you'll probably want to set it up so you don't
        transmit there. Most satellite i-gates just listen. You would not want
        unattended transmissions going out 24/7 on the uplink frequency.

      • sbd64000
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 20, 2014
          There is a WIKI page on the subject of setting up for ISS operation
          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops
          The 2 big no's are unattended transmitting and gating of other station through the ISS. There is not a beacon manually option. So un tick beaconing on the RF port when not attending.

          Steve
          G6UIM
          Who is still without a phone line
        • dovidpfeiff
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 20, 2014
            Tnx for the tip James , but do I have to configure TCP by setting up this port ?

            Also , the uplink frequency is the same as the downlink frequency , it's 145.825 MHz for both !

            When I set up the current port-type , I choose the setting Comn-serial-port , perhaps there it went wrong ?

            73  de Dovid
          • Adam Mahnke
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 20, 2014
              If you have APRSIS32 working with the radio, and the computer is connected to the internet, then it should be acting as an igate out of the box so to speak.

              Please check Enables -> IS Enabled and -> Internet

              Adam
              KC2ANT

              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 20, 2014
                The D710 is similar to the D72 I believe, I am new using a D72 but you need to load the Kenwood virtual serial port driver and then set APRSIS32 to use that com port. You might need to edit the APRSIS32.xml config file with some commands to switch modes etc on the radio. info on the WIKI for that.

                Yes the ISS is a digipeater so uplink and downlink are on the same frequency 145.825MHz
                I did post a link to a WIKI page I wrote on how to setup APRSIS32 for ISS and NO-44 use.

                Steve
                G6UIM
              • dovidpfeiff
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 23, 2014
                  GE DR OM Steve & Adam ,

                  The port to connect with the Kenwood is OK , and if it should work out of the box so to say , it might be that the I-gate is working  , yeah !

                  Will check again the settings though . . .

                  Was only afraid to cause unnecessary QRM , and thought it wouldn't harm to ask people who know more about the subject than me  .   Tnx a lot , really nice to see that there is a lot of positive Ham-spirit in the APRS community , also tnx to Lynn  the author of the program !

                  Hope to work you all one day on HF or 6m if the conditions are there !

                  73 de Dovid       4Z4DP