APRS maps for UK emergency use?

  • bobsayers2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014
      Hi, All,

      I'm just getting to grips with APRS again  -  last time I used it there was only DOS software available ....

      I would particularly like to use it in the future for RAYNET and other voluntary emergency-response applications. Can I pick the brains of those of you in the UK who use APRS in this role regarding mapping?

      Is an OS mapping option available? Do those of you using non-OS mapping for emergency applications find it adequate?

      Regards,

      Bob, G8IYK

      Sent from Samsung Mobile

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014

        What kind of maps are you looking for? That is a bit rhetorical since I know you are asking what people are using.

        APRSIS32 will work with the OpenStreetMap tiles. See http://www.openstreetmap.org/ for the default.

        There are other tiles available. Check out: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets.

        I know many of these are for the USA but there are options once you define your need.

        Best regards,

        Fred N7FMH

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014

            If you wonder about the name the maps were originally produce for defence of the country hence Ordinance Survey

            http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/about/overview/history.html

            The Map System uses Grid Squares similar if I recall to the American System. Just with different datums.

            I believe I sent Lynn info, pretty sure I have some lua code somewhere for converting to and from GPS co ordinates.

            So Lynn could if he wished add grid  square overlays to the OSM maps without too much effort.

            Steve Daniels

            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

            On 2/7/2014 3:29 PM, Fred Hillhouse Jr wrote:

            I know many of these are for the USA but there are options once you define your need.

              Is an OS mapping option available? Do those of you using non-OS mapping for emergency applications find it adequate?

            He kinda did, but you have to speak "British" to understand his statement.  As I understand it, OS = Ordnance Survey which is some sort of government-sponsored map that can be acquired in various levels of detail.  I'm not aware of any OS maps available in OSM tile format, however.

            Eventually I still hope to support the old UI-View method of scanned maps with lat/lon defined for the corners, but haven't made that a priority yet.

          • Fred Hillhouse Jr
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014

              Ah yes, OS. I remember now.

              There is a method in which to make your own maps and tile them but it can be challenging. I haven’t relearned how to do it again since my machine crashed. I have to find the various pieces of software I was using at the time.

              Best regards,

              Fred N7FMH

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014

                Is there an online source for these maps in any format?

                Best regards,

                Fred N7FMH

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014

                  I was poking at their online map. They use something similar to OSM but enough different. Tiles are 250x250 so of course the references are wacky. J

                  But on a first glance, they don’t appear much better than OSM. I didn’t dig too deeply though.

                  Best regards,

                  Fred N7FMH

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014

                    OS Maps are not free

                    UK SAR uses OS grid reference numbers. all that’s needed I think is to be able to get the grid reference from the map, much like you can of Maidenhead.

                    Grid Square overlay would be handy also.

                    If I recall pretty much all countries use similar systems, so the basic math is the same it’s just a question of varying datums

                    Just a question of if Lynn wants do anything.

                    Will find the data. If required.

                    I do by the way have the UK at 1:50,000 scale it’s about 2.4GB of data