Feature Request - Distance Measurement

  • chuckbland
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2014
      I recall a feature in UI-View where you clicked on one location, then moved to a second, drawing a line as you went and measuring the distance between the points.

      This would be useful in our bike events to determine who is closer to a location where help is needed.

      Any chance of having something like this by April 4th?

      Chuck - NA6BR
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2014
        On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM, <cclaytonbland@...> wrote:

        > I recall a feature in UI-View where you clicked on one location, then
        > moved to a second, drawing a line as you went and measuring the
        > distance between the points.

        Uh-oh, you started off this request in a bad way... you mentioned you
        saw it in UI-View! Lynn hates to copy ideas! :)

        > This would be useful in our bike events to determine who is closer
        > to a location where help is needed.
        >
        > Any chance of having something like this by April 4th?

        There is something kind of like this in place already.

        Right click on the map, and a menu will pop up.
        The last entry will be a set of coordinates.
        Move down to the coordinates and a submenu will open up.
        Select Set Destination, and the spot you pointed at will become a destination.
        On screen under your message notifier box, you'll find a box with a
        distance and bearing.
        That distance and bearing is from your location to the destination as
        the crow flies.

        This is only good for figuring out how far it is from your location to
        another location, but if you move your station to the location where
        help is needed, you can then measure to the nearest responders and
        figure out who's the closest.

        Of course, if you move your station, you may end up transmitting your
        location as being at the location requiring assistance unless you
        disable beaconing, or make sure you don't transmit by some other
        means.

        It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it will work. I use
        aprs.fi a lot at work just because it gives me access to Google Maps,
        and it has the measurement tool. I'd use Google Maps, but there's no
        measurement tool.

      • John Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2014

          Actually, mentioning aprs.fi, if you zoom into your area, then click on the link for Google Earth KML on the right hand side, it will open up a live feed in Earth and with Earth, you have available, a  measurement tool.

          73
          John

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2014
            On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM, John Wilson <kc4lzn@...> wrote:

            > Actually, mentioning aprs.fi, if you zoom into your area, then click on the
            > link for Google Earth KML on the right hand side, it will open up a live feed
            > in Earth and with Earth, you have available, a measurement tool.

            But that doesn't give you anything more than the measurement tool
            available in aprs.fi, and both of these do nothing for making
            measurements in APRSISCE/32, which was the original feature request.

            APRSISCE/32 despite it's roots as an application tied by an umbilical
            cord to the internet, can be used independently of an internet
            connection, and a distance measurement tool would be a useful addition
            for a trivial coding addition. Adding the ability to measure distance
            between two arbitrary points within the program is a better use of
            resources than having to run Google Earth with an internet connection
            to do the same function.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
              When I need to measure a distance, or better yet, find the closest resource to a point, here's what I do:

              1) Center the map on the point of interest.

              2) Zoom until resources show up in the circle.

              3) Choose the one "closest" the center - Done.

              Or if you want to know a distance, use the following procedure:

              1) Center the map on one of the points.

              2) Zoom until the other point of interest is as close to the circle as possible.

              3) The scale in the lower left, just below the +/- zoom bar, is the radius of the circle in your distance units of measure.

              4) For a more accurate distance, you can scale the window until the second point lies exactly on the circle instead of approximating a proportion of the scale vs the circle radius.

              On 2/4/2014 8:19 PM, cclaytonbland@... wrote:
              I recall a feature in UI-View where you clicked on one location, then moved to a second, drawing a line as you went and measuring the distance between the points.

              This would be useful in our bike events to determine who is closer to a location where help is needed.

              Any chance of having something like this by April 4th?

              Chuck - NA6BR

            • Greg Depew
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
                Can't you also center the map at the area needing help and click on the station/resource needed and it shows distance from center and distance from me in the info box?
                Greg KB3KBR

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
                  Yes, that works also. Great point!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
                    On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                    >> On 2/5/2014 6:42 AM, Greg Depew wrote:
                    >> Can't you also center the map at the area needing help and
                    >> click on the station/resource needed and it shows distance
                    >> from center and distance from me in the info box?
                    >
                    > Yes, that works also. Great point!

                    Describe the process... I can't figure out what you are doing.
                    Clicking on a station does not provide distance from center. Maybe I
                    don't have an info box turned on.

                    All I can do is what I described previously, which is right-clicking,
                    selecting the lat/long, and set as destination. All that does is tells
                    you distance from your station to the destination.

                    The original request was to be able to select two arbitrary points,
                    and get the distance between the two.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
                      Center your map screen where you need it, then zoom out enough to see your station/resource, click on the station, then click on the call sign at the top and an info box will popup with the distance from center and distance from me.

                      Greg KB3KBR

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
                        On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Greg Depew <goatherder_4891@...> wrote:

                        > Center your map screen where you need it, then zoom out enough to
                        > see your station/resource, click on the station, then click on the call
                        > sign at the top and an info box will popup with the distance from center
                        > and distance from me.

                        Aha! I've seen that screen before! That indeed does allow you to
                        determine distances from the center of the screen to a station. I
                        RE-LEARNT something pseudo-new today!

                        You can't determine a distance to a location without a station in this
                        manner, but you can create an object at the desired location, and then
                        click on the object and get a distance to center.

                        There is a work around to get what was asked for!

                        Now to try and get that procedure to stick in the grey matter!