Looking for US County Data

  • Tim Gennett
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2014
      Can anyone suggest a source for geometry data for US Counties?  I'm trying to put together some overlays showing county boundaries.

      I found once source at:

      https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1spDIxVlkZNje3s503ke5G3lXTVVHm3F-RXR5Wpo

      but there are not a lot of vertices for most counties.  When a county is rectangular, the resulting boundary looks pretty good.  But, otherwise, not so much, like when a boundary follows a river.

      Tim K9WX
    • Mike Miller
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2014
        Could you use NWS shapefiles?
        <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata/>

        Mike kc9doa

        On 3 Feb 2014 at 19:12, Tim Gennett wrote:

        > Can anyone suggest a source for geometry data for US Counties?
        > I'm trying
        > to put together some overlays showing county boundaries.
        >
        > I found once source at:
        >
        > https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1spDIxVlkZ
        > Nje3s503ke5G3lXTVVHm3F-RXR5Wpo
        >
        > but there are not a lot of vertices for most counties. When a
        > county is
        > rectangular, the resulting boundary looks pretty good. But,
        > otherwise, not
        > so much, like when a boundary follows a river.
        >
        > Tim K9WX

      • Keith McCready
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2014
        • Brian Webster
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2014

            What format do you want the files?

            Thank You,

            Brian N2KGC

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014
              Thanks, Brian.  I need to end up with a kml file that uses decimal degrees.

              Here is an example of the overlay that results from the Google database I referenced in my original post.  You will need to pan to the west a bit to see the area in question.  This is an overlay for Warren County, Indiana. The southeastern border of the county is the Wabash River but the small number of vertices (17) in the Google database makes this edge of the county just a rough approximation.  So, ideally, I am looking for a database having more vertices and in decimal degrees.

              http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&kml=http%3A%2F%2Fk9wx.net%2Fdownloads%2FWarren.kml&call=a%2FK9WX-1&timerange=3600&tail=3600

              Tim K9WX

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014
                Thanks, Mike (and Keith, in a second post suggesting a USGS database).  I suspect those files have the level of granularity I want.  But, I have not worked with shapefiles and need to end up with a kml file in decimal degrees.  How might I convert the data from a shapefile to decimal degrees?

                Tim K9WX

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014
                  On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Tim Gennett <k9wx@...> wrote:

                  > I suspect those files have the level of granularity I want. But, I have not worked
                  > with shapefiles and need to end up with a kml file in decimal degrees. How
                  > might I convert the data from a shapefile to decimal degrees?

                  Go to Google and search for shapefile to kml converter.

                  Here's one of about 8300 results.

                  http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/locations/umd/documents/OverviewofKMLconversionprograms.pdf

                • Brian Webster
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014

                    Tim,

                                    I will send you a version of the lower 48 to your private email. Don’t think an attachment will go through the list.

                    Thanks, Mike (and Keith, in a second post suggesting a USGS database).  I suspect those files have the level of granularity I want.  But, I have not worked with shapefiles and need to end up with a kml file in decimal degrees.  How might I convert the data from a shapefile to decimal degrees?

                    Tim K9WX

                    On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Mike Miller <lists@...> wrote:

                    Could you use NWS shapefiles?
                    <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata/>

                    Mike kc9doa

                    On 3 Feb 2014 at 19:12, Tim Gennett wrote:

                    > Can anyone suggest a source for geometry data for US Counties?
                    > I'm trying
                    > to put together some overlays showing county boundaries.
                    >
                    > I found once source at:
                    >
                    > https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1spDIxVlkZ
                    > Nje3s503ke5G3lXTVVHm3F-RXR5Wpo
                    >
                    > but there are not a lot of vertices for most counties. When a
                    > county is
                    > rectangular, the resulting boundary looks pretty good. But,
                    > otherwise, not
                    > so much, like when a boundary follows a river.
                    >
                    > Tim K9WX

                  • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014

                      An attachment will pass through. J

                      Best regards,

                      Fred N7FMH

                                      I will send you a version of the lower 48 to your private email. Don’t think an attachment will go through the list.

                      Thanks, Mike (and Keith, in a second post suggesting a USGS database).  I suspect those files have the level of granularity I want.  But, I have not worked with shapefiles and need to end up with a kml file in decimal degrees.  How might I convert the data from a shapefile to decimal degrees?

                      Tim K9WX

                      On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Mike Miller <lists@...> wrote:

                      Could you use NWS shapefiles?
                      <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata/>

                      Mike kc9doa

                      On 3 Feb 2014 at 19:12, Tim Gennett wrote:

                      > Can anyone suggest a source for geometry data for US Counties?
                      > I'm trying
                      > to put together some overlays showing county boundaries.
                      >
                      > I found once source at:
                      >
                      > https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1spDIxVlkZ
                      > Nje3s503ke5G3lXTVVHm3F-RXR5Wpo
                      >
                      > but there are not a lot of vertices for most counties. When a
                      > county is
                      > rectangular, the resulting boundary looks pretty good. But,
                      > otherwise, not
                      > so much, like when a boundary follows a river.
                      >
                      > Tim K9WX

                    • Brian Webster
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014
                      • 1 Attachment
                      • 1.1 MB

                      Then for anyone else’s benefit here it is.

                      Thank You,

                      Brian N2KGC

                      Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014
                        The attachment didn't make it.

                        Mike kc9doa

                        Message 12 of 12 , Feb 4, 2014
                          Made it here. There's a link to it at the bottom of the message.

                          http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23796734/78998666/name/US%20Counties%2Ekmz