GPS units

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2014

      Well my experience With the adafruit breakout GPS module has been good. Took it a couple of minutes from cold start, to work out where it was, that from new.

      It does much the same after a power cycle, I have no battery attached to it

      Will run from 3.3 or 5V  serial output is 3.3V so you might need to use an interface if using TTL levels.

      Obviously I am using it for my RPI projects, but it’s good to feed other things with a bit of interface work.

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2014
        I have used several of the SparkFun GPS modules.
        None for Timer Service, but plan on possibly doing that soon.

        What a combo: GPS data and Time standard from the same device!
        Could be useful!

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2014

          Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth , to find the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.

          Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V. Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.

          Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the battery backup.

          Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the normal NMEA sentences.

          Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is good enough.

          But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!

          When it’s working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.

          I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware acceleration if I recall.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 27, 2014
              Don't know if you've seen this:
              http://www.talkunafraid.co.uk/2012/12/the-ntpi-accurate-time-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-venus638flpx/

              I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
              really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

              I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
              GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
              occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
              and I suspect that may be the cause.

              More later - have to go to an appointment.

              Gary Sanders
              W0BY

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 27, 2014
                I need to test in a better way to be absolutely sure. And I will port
                forward my router so people can see for themselves.
                My current setup provides GPS location to any device or software capable of
                receiving location and time data from a GPSD system. APRSIS32 is capable of
                that.
                NTP time for access from any device. Using the PPS in kernel mode rather
                than user mode.
                Also a samba install to allow monitoring from a windows pc.
                And SNMP for remote monitoring as this is intended as a headless system.

                Currently showing a bit of jitter on the GPS time as expected, but zero
                jitter on the PPS.

                I can create an image of the SD card. And torrent if people are interested.

                Steve Daniels
                Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                Torbay Freecycle Owner

                I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
                really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

                I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
                GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
                occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
                and I suspect that may be the cause.

                More later - have to go to an appointment.

                Gary Sanders
                W0BY

                On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                > Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth, to find
                > the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
                >
                > Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
                > Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
                >
                > Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
                > battery backup.
                >
                > Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
                > normal NMEA sentences.
                >
                > Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
                > good enough.
                >
                > But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
                > more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
                >
                > When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
                > added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
                >
                > I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
                > graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
                > acceleration if I recall.
                >
                > Steve Daniels

                ------------------------------------

                Yahoo Groups Links
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 28, 2014

                  Those wanting to try GPSD or even my NTP server can do, the IP address is 91.84.215.75 it’s a static address.

                  Obviously only for testing as GPSD will give my location, and you would be better of using a proper time server.

                  My NTP system is really to try and get a reasonable time on a non internet connected system, such as Field day.

                  If you are attaching a GPS to a pi you might as well do as much as possible with it.

                  As you can see PPS jitter is good GPS time data not so good. Obviously a bit of work to do. For comparison I am linked to a UK ntp pool hence the other info.

                  The GPS is not designed for time reference but does have a PPS output.

                  Lynn is you want to connect to GPSD for testing please do it should be running 24/7 APRSIS32 uses it just fine

                  Steve Daniels

                  Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                  Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                  I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
                  really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

                  I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
                  GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
                  occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
                  and I suspect that may be the cause.

                  More later - have to go to an appointment.

                  Gary Sanders
                  W0BY

                  On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                  > Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth , to find
                  > the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
                  >
                  > Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
                  > Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
                  >
                  > Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
                  > battery backup.
                  >
                  > Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
                  > normal NMEA sentences.
                  >
                  > Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
                  > good enough.
                  >
                  > But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
                  > more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
                  >
                  > When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
                  > added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
                  >
                  > I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
                  > graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
                  > acceleration if I recall.
                  >
                  > Steve Daniels

                  ------------------------------------

                  Yahoo Groups Links

                • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 29, 2014

                    What is the port? I am trying it this morning and I am not located yet.

                    What are you doing at field day that requires the accuracy from NTP? I would think the GPS would provide a satisfactory time stamp.

                    Fred N7FMH

                    I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
                    really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

                    I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
                    GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
                    occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
                    and I suspect that may be the cause.

                    More later - have to go to an appointment.

                    Gary Sanders
                    W0BY

                    On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                    > Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth , to find
                    > the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
                    >
                    > Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
                    > Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
                    >
                    > Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
                    > battery backup.
                    >
                    > Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
                    > normal NMEA sentences.
                    >
                    > Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
                    > good enough.
                    >
                    > But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
                    > more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
                    >
                    > When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
                    > added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
                    >
                    > I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
                    > graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
                    > acceleration if I recall.
                    >
                    > Steve Daniels

                    ------------------------------------

                    Yahoo Groups Links

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29, 2014

                      Standard GPSD port of 2947 should work unless I have messed up the router settings

                      Not doing anything that requires the accuracy. But as the GPS has a PPS output I thought I might just as well use it

                      Steve Daniels

                      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                      What is the port? I am trying it this morning and I am not located yet.

                      What are you doing at field day that requires the accuracy from NTP? I would think the GPS would provide a satisfactory time stamp.

                      Fred N7FMH

                      I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
                      really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

                      I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
                      GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
                      occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
                      and I suspect that may be the cause.

                      More later - have to go to an appointment.

                      Gary Sanders
                      W0BY

                      On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                      > Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth , to find
                      > the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
                      >
                      > Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
                      > Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
                      >
                      > Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
                      > battery backup.
                      >
                      > Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
                      > normal NMEA sentences.
                      >
                      > Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
                      > good enough.
                      >
                      > But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
                      > more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
                      >
                      > When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
                      > added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
                      >
                      > I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
                      > graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
                      > acceleration if I recall.
                      >
                      > Steve Daniels

                      ------------------------------------

                      Yahoo Groups Links

                    • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 29, 2014

                        The port fixed the lack of signal! Thanks!

                        I installed GPSd on my RPi yesterday. I haven’t tried running it yet since I still have to connect the GPS. I am going to use a regular serial GPS and use an FTDI dual port USB to RS232 (USB-COM232-PLUS2).

                        Best regards,

                        Fred N7FMH

                        What is the port? I am trying it this morning and I am not located yet.

                        What are you doing at field day that requires the accuracy from NTP? I would think the GPS would provide a satisfactory time stamp.

                        Fred N7FMH

                        I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
                        really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

                        I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
                        GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
                        occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
                        and I suspect that may be the cause.

                        More later - have to go to an appointment.

                        Gary Sanders
                        W0BY

                        On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                        > Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth , to find
                        > the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
                        >
                        > Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
                        > Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
                        >
                        > Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
                        > battery backup.
                        >
                        > Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
                        > normal NMEA sentences.
                        >
                        > Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
                        > good enough.
                        >
                        > But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
                        > more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
                        >
                        > When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
                        > added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
                        >
                        > I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
                        > graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
                        > acceleration if I recall.
                        >
                        > Steve Daniels

                        Yahoo Groups Links