Need Help

  • johndvorack
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 23, 2014
      I am fairly new to APRS..I have the APRSIS32 program, and I can get my radio and TNC to transmit.My question is, How do you connect to a station?  I have tried

      several times, and it will not transmit.....

      Thanks for any help..

      John  KD8BIN

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 23, 2014

          Well depending on how long John has been into radio, connected could mean he thinks APRS is the same as Packet, Where you connected to another station.

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 23, 2014
              On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM, <johndvorack@...> wrote:

              > My question is, How do you connect to a station? I have tried
              > several times, and it will not transmit.....

              The simple answer is "You can't."

              APRS is built on top of the AX.25 Protocol, and uses UI (Unnumbered
              Information) Frames to send and receive data. As such, there is no
              "connected" state in the APRS world.

              In the APRS world, you send and forget packets... kind of like
              throwing a note in a bottle into the ocean, rather than placing a
              telephone call. There is no acknowledgement of receipt, there is no
              way of knowing for sure if anyone received your information.

              Now, of course if you hear a digipeater forward your packet, you can
              infer from that that the digipeater heard your packet.

              Also, the messaging portion of APRS does a type of handshaking, where
              you get a response back from the recipient acknowledging receipt of
              the message. This still is not a connected protocol, but rather a send
              and respond transaction via UI frames.

              Now if you are asking something totally different, you might have to
              ask a more robust question...

              Your query was a little obtuse because you stated you could get your
              radio and TNC to transmit, but immediately followed that up with a
              statement about not getting "it" to transmit. What might "it" be? You
              can't have it both ways...

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 23, 2014
                On 1/23/2014 5:35 PM, johndvorack@... wrote:

                > , and it will not transmit.....

                Maybe http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

              • johndvorack
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 24, 2014

                  Hi Lynn:

                  I am running APRS as a home station. I would like to send messages to other stations that I see on the display.  For example, my local APRS station is W8HHF, and I would like to send a message to a repeater in another city whose APRS station is W8JES.  I am beaconing OK as I see my station on the APRS findu site... I just can't seem to send a message....

                  Also when I bring up the message window, I check the RF box and click send....nothing happens..my TNC does not transmit.....

                  I hope this explains my situation....

                  Thanks,

                  John  KD8BIN

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
                    On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM, <johndvorack@...> wrote:

                    > I am running APRS as a home station.

                    Under what callsign?

                    > I would like to send messages to other stations that I see on the display.

                    Easy enough, go to Messages, select Send Message, and enter the
                    callsign of the station to send a message to. A dialog box will open
                    up, and you can type messages as desired.

                    > For example, my local APRS station is W8HHF,

                    You should get that station operational and connected to RF or the
                    APRS-IS then...

                    > and I would like to send a message to a repeater in another city
                    > whose APRS station is W8JES.

                    Repeaters don't communicate. They are pieces of hardware used to
                    automatically resend voice communication. Now, W8JES is an APRS
                    station running UI-View, and is advertising itself as an i-gate and
                    digipeater, yet is situated so poorly that it has to use a WIDE1-1 hop
                    request to get help from a local home station acting as a fill-in to
                    be heard by another WIDE area digipeater. You would be able to send a
                    message to that station as it is on APRS. You should also get
                    acknowledgement messages back letting you know the message was
                    received.

                    > I am beaconing OK as I see my station on the APRS findu site...

                    Really? Because when I search for W8HHF, I get a station not found response.

                    http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?w8hhf

                    Sorry, no position known for W8HHF

                    No position report for W8HHF has been heard in the last 10 days. There
                    may be a problem with the spelling of the callsign, the station may
                    not be on the air, or in an area without radio coverage. If you are
                    not the owner of the station, you should contact the station operator
                    for help.

                    You might also try a lookup of W8HHF on qrz.com, which gives license
                    information for all US and many foreign radio amateurs.

                    aprs.fi shows us that W8HHF was last heard 217 days ago.

                    http://aprs.fi/W8HHF*

                    callsign age comment
                    W8HHF 217d 15h10m TMRA Field Day Site
                    W8HHF B 4m52s 440 Voice 442.750 +5.00 MHz
                    W8HHF-B 4m33s 440 Voice 442.750 +5.00 MHz
                    W8HHF-15 11m21s Toledo-OH-nsrWideDigi-IGate

                    > I just can't seem to send a message....

                    Have you tried following the instructions for setting up APRSISCE/32?
                    Watch the video and follow the instructions. It will get you up and
                    operational.

                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

                    > Also when I bring up the message window, I check the RF box and
                    > click send....nothing happens..my TNC does not transmit.....

                    That's because you do not have your station configured properly. There
                    is no indication that W8HHF is operational, either on RF or IS. Get
                    that sorted out by following the above set up instructions, and you'll
                    find not only is your station showing up online and on RF, but you
                    will also be able to send messages to other APRS operators.

                    > I hope this explains my situation....
                    >
                    > John KD8BIN

                    There is an APRS station KD8BIN which is running APRSISCE/32... might
                    that be your station?

                    There's evidence that that station has been switching between
                    APRSISCE/32 and UI-View.

                    That station is alternating between sending precise location reports,
                    4133.71N/08337.84W and maidenhead gridsquares, EN81en. This can be
                    done, but it can end up making the station location bounce around
                    between the precise location, and a randomized location in the
                    reported imprecise gridsquare.

                    KD8BIN is also using WIDE1-1 as an intial hop request, but analysis of
                    the packets passed to the APRS-IS stream show that the station can
                    easily be heard by the local digi/i-gate. WIDE1-1 could be removed
                    from the outgoing path, lessening congestion on the local APRS
                    network.

                    KD8BIN does not appear to be operational currently as it hasn't been
                    heard from in a number of hours. I tried sending a message, and get no
                    response, so that is probably the case.

                    So, are we looking to correct a problem with KD8BIN, or get W8HHF up
                    and operational?

                  • johndvorack
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014

                      Thanks for the reply James.......The video you sent me did help....I believe my main problem is the fact I need a passcode, which I did send a e-mail for.

                      The W8HHF station is our local repeater for the APRS, D-Star etc.  My home station and callsign is KD8BIN.

                      So, after i get the passcode, I will see if I have luck sending messages....

                      Thanks,

                      John KD8BIN

                    • Greg Depew
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
                        The passcode has no bearing on the rf side of things. That's just a validation saying you can send to the Internet.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
                          On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM, <johndvorack@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for the reply James.......The video you sent me did help....I believe
                          > my main problem is the fact I need a passcode, which I did send a e-mail for.

                          As Greg said, the APRS-IS passcode is only to validate your packets
                          when sent to the APRS-IS servers. It has no bearing on RF
                          transmissions. It is assumed that you are legally allowed on the air
                          when you put a station on the air.

                          > The W8HHF station is our local repeater for the APRS, D-Star etc.

                          That really has no bearing on getting your station operational, other
                          than you might hear a digipeat coming back from the digipeater when
                          you send packets.

                          > My home station and callsign is KD8BIN.

                          Always a very important piece of information when asking for help. By
                          providing the EXACT CALLSIGN-SSID, it allows the rest of us to look
                          for any evidence of how your specific station may or may not be
                          operating.

                          > So, after i get the passcode, I will see if I have luck sending messages....

                          You might, but that would be because the message is going out to the
                          APRS-IS, and then gets gated back to RF and delivered to the desired
                          station.

                          There's something else going on here... It looks like your station is
                          on the air, and is sending packets out via RF.

                          I just sent your station a query, and got a response back. I sent a
                          message and got an ACK back, but both via APRS-IS only.

                          In the middle of a chat with you on APRSISCE/32 currently, but the RF
                          ONLY section doesn't seem to be working.

                          Lynn, what can be disabled to make RF messaging stop working, yet
                          position reports still go out over RF?

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014

                            Am thinking maybe on RF port setup. Beacon ticked but not messages? But I must admit have not tested what actually happens, in that scenario

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
                              On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Steve Daniels
                              <steve@...> wrote:

                              > Am thinking maybe on RF port setup. Beacon ticked but not messages?

                              That was it... I forget about those switches!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
                                Steve's got it.  Check Configure / Ports / <YourRFPortName>'s checkboxes.

                                Also, for the first set of retries, APRSISCE/32 will only send out via RF if the message destination station has been recently heard on RF.  The second set of retries goes out all suitably-enabled ports.

                                You can check the Transmit and Port(YourPortName) trace logs (enable them first) to see what's actually going out where.