Club talk

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2014

      Have been asked to do a talk about APRS, I can talk the hind legs off a donkey on that.

      I think though that some members of the audience will be interested in SAR, something I can talk about, but not had first hand experience.

      So anyone who can give me info on the does and don’t from experience would be good.

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

    • David

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2014

          Thanks the club member that asked me is a RAYNET person, our UK Amateur Radio Emergency group.

          I can talk about events, but Search and Rescue is not something I have done, and hopefully won’t do.

          Will mention APRStt although APRSIS32 does not yet support that,

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2014

              Your email address triggered yahoo’s spam filters, just so you are aware it might well trigger junk mail filters. Just so you realise. Bit much like the dodgy search engines.

              Up for any help I can get on the SAR front. As I expect to get asked, so the usual questions that get asked and the answers to them would be great.

              Post them here and when enough come in will put a WIKI page up.

              This is a general APRS Chat but obviously, using APRSIS32 for the demo. And explaining things like APRStt which would obviously be useful.

              Dire Wolf soft modem supports it, and has the ability to pass that through to another app.

              I can cover much else it’s just the SAR I can speak about it, but real world scenarios would be handy

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2014
                From a SAR standpoint, the biggest benefit is more than just tracking which is obvious and helpful for the incident commander.  The precision of the coordinates, the elimination of human error in reporting and recording of coordinates, and the standardization of coordinates are huge as confusion by all parties is significantly reduced.

                We missed a helicopter extraction when either my coordinates were incorrectly reported by me (most likely) or incorrectly recorded by operations.  Operations thought we were closer to the proposed LZ than we actually were but the inability to get there in time had us miss extraction as the helo was low on fuel. The consequence was a 5 hour hike back UP the mountain in the cold and snow after we had been moving for hours.  Worked out okay in our case but it could have made a difficult situation worse if conditions for the rescuers worsened.  This seems obvious, but when you personally experience something like this, the significance really sets in.

                Drawbacks include extra weight as a dedicated radio or band is needed and/or additional power requirements for continual transmission.  Also there are no part 90 radios with built in TNC's that I know of (like the Kenwood TH-D72) which makes it difficult for SAR groups that operate on both commercial and HAM frequencies.

                So that often requires two radios if you want to simultaneously transmit APRS packets and monitor and transmit on multiple frequencies.  There are more benefits to be realized as more groups adopt APRS.  But trackers like the Byonics MT AIO would need to be utilized for inexperienced APRS users for reliable use.  Will list less obvious benefits if I come up with them in time.

                Paul Clifton
                KF7WEZ

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2014
                  Paul,

                  There has been some talk of boefang radios and TT4 tncs but I haven't played with it much. Dual band ops is tedious at best with them but they are part 90 compliant IIRC.

                  I'd think that dedicated AIO trackers would be best for inexperienced folks. It works well for our special event stuff, but 99% of that isn't in the wilderness so pack weight isn't normally an issue.

                   Sorry to hijack the thread

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 21, 2014

                    I used a Quasheng HT with the TT4 and even though it only has 5 watts was pretty reliable with the local APRS Igate. Took a fair bit of fiddling to get the levels set up and had to use an external antenna.

                    Tommy

[...]

                    No virus found in this message.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 21, 2014

                      As the thread was hijacked I will hijack it myself.

                      I think a discussion of SAR is interesting to most here, we all like to think  that we could go out and find a lost child etc.

                      Maybe a bit about how Lynn might add things to his software to aid things might help.

                      For perhaps APRStt. Softmodem Dire Wolfe supports this. APRStt is not yet supported in APRSIS32.

                      To be fair to Lynn , it’s a hobby of his, and who can complain if he has better things to do at times.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 21, 2014

                        On 1/21/2014 7:46 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:
                        To be fair to Lynn , it’s a hobby of his, and who can complain if he has better things to do at times.\

                        Not sure if it's "better", but I'm working to extricate myself from my current distraction to get back to more active development.  I'm still tracking the discussions with interest, however!

                      • Adam Mahnke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 21, 2014
                          One must always consider Family, $$ work, and then hobbies. I'm sure that we all understand that sometimes Radio just has to be left aside from time to time.

                          Adam
                          KC2ANT

                          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                          From: kj4erj@...