APRS Article

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 6, 2014

      After events today I decided to get an article together about APRS.

      The aim is to start at a beginners level, as in what is APRS what can it do etc. Then move onto how does it work (Beginners), followed by various more advanced sections, such as setting up digipeaters, igates, how to use APRS on balloons via satellites. And probably really advanced etc.

      Anyone interested in helping out?

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

    • David

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6, 2014

          Any help is welcome Dave will try and set something up a bit better than wikidot for doing it

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Not sure how much I could be of help with.... But I'll try to help where I can

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 6, 2014, at 4:33 PM, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

          After events today I decided to get an article together about APRS.

          The aim is to start at a beginners level, as in what is APRS what can it do etc. Then move onto how does it work (Beginners), followed by various more advanced sections, such as setting up digipeaters, igates, how to use APRS on balloons via satellites. And probably really advanced etc.

          Anyone interested in helping out?

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        • Jeffrey P. Harrington

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 6, 2014

              That would be helpful

              I am not great at writing articles so hopefully a few people will help out. Am hoping to get a beginners to advanced series sorted.

              The intention is to get it published in Magazines in the UK and elsewhere to promote APRS and of course APRSIS32. Get people interested in the mode as being more than watching a map.

              And cover it’s various uses and how to setup various things like digipeaters and igates etc.

              Any and all help welcome, if it gets published then credit will go to those who contributed

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 6, 2014
                I'm a newby on this program and after I installed it I haven't been able to get any maps to display. I have downloaded several OMS format maps, but I still can't get anything to display. What am I doing wrong. I don't have a GPS attached at the moment either, would that have anything to do with it?

                Thanks
                Tom
                N9CXI
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 6, 2014
                  You do not have to have a GPS connected for APRSISCE/32 to function, but
                  you do need to have an active Internet connection.

                  Have you followed the instructions at
                  http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup? Especially the part where
                  you MUST unzip the program into a newly created directory. You cannot
                  simply double-click the .ZIP and then double-click the .EXE. That won't
                  work and will cause maps to not display.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 6, 2014
                    On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM, TRON <tron40@...> wrote:

                    > I'm a newby on this program and after I installed it I haven't been
                    > able to get any maps to display.

                    Your first problem is that APRSISCE/32 does not need to be
                    installed... just download the zip file, unzip the program file, and
                    run it...

                    > I have downloaded several OMS format maps, but I still can't get
                    > anything to display.

                    You don't need to download any maps. When you run the program and
                    follow the directions, the program will pull in the maps for you
                    automatically.

                    > What am I doing wrong.

                    Try starting from the beginning and unzipping the file to the proper
                    location* on your hard drive, and running the program. Have you
                    watched Julian's video?

                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

                    > I don't have a GPS attached at the moment either, would that have
                    > anything to do with it?

                    Nope, the program doesn't need a GPS to work. You simply point at the
                    map and click on where you want to put your station.

                    * Newer versions of Windows try to keep you safe by making it harder
                    to run programs. Depending upon which version of Windows you are
                    running, you may have limitations on where you can unzip the program
                    and have access to it.
                  • Adam Mahnke
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 6, 2014
                      Steve,

                       Happy to help any way I can. More used to writing 911 center policy than operations manuals though.

                      Let me know what I can help with

                       Adam
                      KC2ANT

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 7, 2014
                        Steve:

                        I do a lot of event tracking here on Long Island.

                        I have a collection of trackers based on the TT3+. (5 to be exact), that
                        I use for tracking events.
                        I found the best way is to use dedicated radios of the 25 watt + class,
                        preferrably older radios like the
                        Kenwood TS7400A, TM2530, TM2550 Which can be found at flea markets for a
                        song, because
                        people are dumping them for 'more featured' radios. These make excellent
                        trackers for mobiles
                        and the connectors are a lot easier to deal with than radios with rj-11
                        & rj-45 mic connectors.

                        Also for close in event tracking of people on foot, the venerable ICOM
                        IC-2AT works extremely
                        well with a simple pack of 8 AA batteries on a fanny pack with the
                        shadow person .
                        Easiest way to track VIPs.

                        Served agencies like seeing the map on a wall or computer screen. It's
                        information they can use.

                        In areas where the terrain varies greatly, I made some portable digis
                        using an ICOM IC-2AT, a 35
                        watt brick amp, and a 35 amp/hr gel cell in a lockable case, chained to
                        a sign post with a former
                        military fiberglass mast 'bungeed' to the sign post up 25 feet. works
                        great.

                        I recently wrote the specs for the SUFFOLK COUNTY HALF MARATHON.
                        I can send them to you as an example if you like.

                        Very 73,
                        Lance / KA2EJD
                        [AR]
                      • Rob Giuliano
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 7, 2014
                          Winter here in Michigan is my busy season, but I would be willing to help anywhere I can!

                          Robert Giuliano
                          KB8RCO

                          After events today I decided to get an article together about APRS.
                          The aim is to start at a beginners level, as in what is APRS what can it do etc. Then move onto how does it work (Beginners), followed by various more advanced sections, such as setting up digipeaters, igates, how to use APRS on balloons via satellites. And probably really advanced etc.
                          Anyone interested in helping out?

                          Steve Daniels
                          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                          Torbay Freecycle  Owner
                          APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

                        • Joseph LaFerla

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 8, 2014

                              I will try and get some collaborative document writing system sorted; most of the things I have found are over complicated. Worst case will you my wikidot account.

                              Thanks for all the offers of help

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 8, 2014
                                Much as it pains me to say this, have you looked at Google drive?

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 8, 2014

                                  Well I was looking for something that would do version tracking and also stop 2 people editing at the same time.

                                  I can host something open source. Google drive docs might do the job.

                                  Although this is about APRS and APRSIS32 I think it’s perhaps starting to clutter the group, perhaps take it to the aprsis32cafe? Yahoo group

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 9, 2014

                                    Have created a Google drive area which hopefully those interested have access to.

                                    Let me know off list if you  want to join in, Those with specialist knowledge are welcome, such as SAR, Balloons, Weather etc

                                    Am hoping that we can make this a compressive as possible, building from beginner up to advanced

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 9, 2014
                                      Howdy gang,

                                      I just caught up after a bit of skiing !!! Ye Ha think snow...

                                      One thing I would like to see in the article is the APRS LINK to the winlink
                                      system brought up. I use it check my winlink messages as it alerts me that
                                      I have a winlink message. I check to make sure it is under the 700 bytes and
                                      then read it via aprs or go to telnet, vhf packet, or HF SCS Pactor III to
                                      read the long messages.

                                      I will be testing it to send a NTSD message today using the NTSD format in
                                      the subject line so the winlink station I send it to will pick it up and put
                                      I on the NTSD system and forward. I asked for a return response so I will
                                      update after the test.

                                      Just my two cents worth as most of our EMCOMM situations in Montana over the
                                      last years have been localized. All of our APRS Digi's are on battery
                                      backup. I shut down my IGATE here for our 8 hour exercise last year and the
                                      Igate in Dillon and Missoula Montana linked me nicely into the internet so I
                                      could send and receive winlink messages for health and welfare very nicely.

                                      As you can tell I am an advocate of EMCOMM APRS Link.

                                      Just my two sense worth from this end as I have enjoyed APRS for about 14
                                      years when there was only two of us on the air in Montana. Its growth has
                                      been just wonderful to watch..

                                      Cheers Bill Erhardt K7MT Helena, Mt
                                      http://www.k7mt.com

                                      Jan 1968 the Pueblo AGER-2 was captured by North Koreans. I worked with
                                      several of the folks who were aboard the Pueblo in my 20 plus year Navy
                                      career. Just a note to remember these folks. Bill CTRC Retired USN
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 9, 2014

                                        In order to facilitate discussion of the APRS Article Project I have created a yahoo group. If you set it to individual emails it will act much like an email group.

                                        This is a private group so you need to be approved. This is only to keep it on topic for those interested in helping out.

                                        The actual docs are going to be on google drive and only available to those actively contributing in whatever capacity, until such time as the project is nearly complete.

                                        This again is really to keep things focused. The aim being to start with to get the project published in magazines

                                        If we get published and any money is paid then I propose that money goes to a suitable cause.

                                        Anyway for those already helping and for those that might like to the group is