RE: [aprsisce] Igate

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
      If you're connected to the internet, and have APRS-IS enabled, and have a valid passcode, and server entered, then you're all set if you didn't mess too much with the RF port settings.

      Judging from the responses, it looks like you're good to go
      2013-12-03 21:01:24 EST: KC2ANT-10>VA3JLF: ?aprsp
      2013-12-03 21:01:41 EST: KC2ANT-10>VA3JLF: ?aprsh*
      2013-12-03 21:01:42 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: Heard[1/7]:AB2MS-1(3) K2GXT(1) KB2VLP-5(3) KG2M-1(2) N2SPI-1(2)
      2013-12-03 21:01:42 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: Heard[2/7]:VA2EM-14(4) VA2REH-3(3) VA3BAL-4(3) VA3BIT-9(5)
      2013-12-03 21:01:42 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: Heard[3/7]:VA3JLF-1(1) VA3JTR VA3LHM-9(2) VA3PEC VA3THB-9(1)
      2013-12-03 21:01:42 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: Heard[4/7]:VE2CDT(3) VE2RVL-9(5) VE2SNP-9(4) VE3DVQ(2) VE3EP
      2013-12-03 21:01:42 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: Heard[5/7]:VE3EP-1 VE3FLO(3) VE3IWJ(2) VE3MHZ(1) VE3THG-7(1)
      2013-12-03 21:01:42 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: Heard[6/7]:VE3UIX-1(3) VE3UIX-2(3) VE3YUF-5 VE3ZAP(2) W2CXM-4(3)
      2013-12-03 21:01:42 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: Heard[7/7]:W2EOC(2) W2XH-1(2)
      2013-12-03 21:01:49 EST: KC2ANT-10>VA3JLF: ?IGate
      2013-12-03 21:01:50 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: IGate[1/2] LOC_CNT=21 DIR_CNT=7 RF_CNT=35
      2013-12-03 21:01:50 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: IGate[2/2] VA3JLF[Simply(KISS)] Bi-Directional+
      2013-12-03 21:01:50 EST: VA3JLF>KC2ANT-10: DX=9*VE3YUF-5(36mi@282°)

      http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=VA3JLF

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: joe@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 01:53:39 +0000
      Subject: [aprsisce] Igate

      Hi

      I am trying to set myself up as an igate, like I was under UIview but I cannot seem to find the place to set it up.  I have enabled APRS-IS port and have internet access enabled.  Is this all or are there some other settings? I could not find the information in the wiki documentation.

       Thanks again.

      Joe
      VA3JLF

      Sent from Windows Mail

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
        On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

        > If you're connected to the internet, and have APRS-IS enabled, and have
        > a valid passcode, and server entered, then you're all set if you didn't mess
        > too much with the RF port settings.

        Adam, you made that last little bit too short!

        To make APRSISCE/32 into an i-gate, you have to add an RF port to it,
        and put a radio on the RF port.

        APRSISCE/32 is a little different than all the other APRS programs...

        In the other APRS programs, you start with a program that talks to the
        RF ports and then add in the internet connectivity/i-gate function.

        In APRSISCE/32, you start with a program that talks to the APRS-IS on
        the internet, and then you add in an RF port to talk to the real
        world. Once you get an RF port in place, the i-gate part kind of falls
        into place.

        This is all due to the genesis of the program... as the name suggests,
        APRSISCE/32 started life as a program to snoop on the APRS-IS stream
        on a cellphone.

        As Adam's snooping shows... you are up and running! Congratulations!

      • Joseph LaFerla
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
          Thanks Adam and James.  I am glad I put this thing together well for now.  I will be looking over the additional options and features over the next while.  It’s quite the program!

          Joe
          VA3JLF

          Sent from Windows Mail

          > If you're connected to the internet, and have APRS-IS enabled, and have
          > a valid passcode, and server entered, then you're all set if you didn't mess
          > too much with the RF port settings.

          Adam, you made that last little bit too short!

          To make APRSISCE/32 into an i-gate, you have to add an RF port to it,
          and put a radio on the RF port.

          APRSISCE/32 is a little different than all the other APRS programs...

          In the other APRS programs, you start with a program that talks to the
          RF ports and then add in the internet connectivity/i-gate function.

          In APRSISCE/32, you start with a program that talks to the APRS-IS on
          the internet, and then you add in an RF port to talk to the real
          world. Once you get an RF port in place, the i-gate part kind of falls
          into place.

          This is all due to the genesis of the program... as the name suggests,
          APRSISCE/32 started life as a program to snoop on the APRS-IS stream
          on a cellphone.

          As Adam's snooping shows... you are up and running! Congratulations!

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
            Joe VA3HF wrote…

            > I am trying to set myself up as an igate…

            You are already gating traffic, but you should try and get in touch with VE3EP-9 and alert him about his very high beacon rate… every 24 seconds.

            http://aprs.fi/info/VE3EP-9
            http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3EP-9

            Given that he is often heard direct or via just one digi hop, the three hop path is probably too long too.

            73 Keith VE7GDH
            www.ui-view.org
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
              On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
              > Joe VA3HF wrote…
              >
              >> I am trying to set myself up as an igate…
              >
              > You are already gating traffic, but you should try and get in touch with VE3EP-9
              > and alert him about his very high beacon rate… every 24 seconds.
              >
              > http://aprs.fi/info/VE3EP-9
              > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3EP-9
              >
              > Given that he is often heard direct or via just one digi hop, the three hop
              > path is probably too long too.

              Uh-oh... you've opened the flood gate, and now we're looking at you
              and your area! :)

              Be prepared for the "Hey, what the heck do you guys think you're doing
              over there!" commentary!

              Saltspring Island is a pretty lonely place... people who live there
              spend a lot of time trolling around looking for nasty people not
              playing APRS nicely!

              (BTW, I'm not picking a fight with Keith... we've spent a lot of time
              picking nits together all over the planet!)

            • Tony VE6MVP
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
                At 08:50 PM 2013-12-03, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                but you should try and get in touch with VE3EP-9 and alert him about his very high beacon rate… every 24 seconnds.

                http://aprs.fi/info/VE3EP-9
                http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3EP-9

                Given that he is often heard direct or via just one digi hop, the three hop path is probably too long too.

                And he has two devices sharing the same call sign and SSID.    A Kenwood I would think and an TinyTrak 3+.

                Tony
              • Timothy Bonnell
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2013
                  Hello,
                  I followed the steps to make w9ntn-2 an igate but it isn't showing up as an igate.
                  My d710 is setup as w9ntn-1 and aprsis32 is setup as w9ntn-2 is this ok or should I change them? Thanks for your assistance.
                  73
                  Timothy Bonnell

                  Timothy Bonnell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2013
                    Where are you looking that isn't showing W9NTN-2 as an IGate? It looks
                    to me like it is:

                    > 12:20:25> ?IGATE
                    > 12:20:26< IGate[1/2] MSG_CNT=62 LOC_CNT=8 DIR_CNT=3 RF_CNT=9
                    > < IGate[2/2] aprs[KWD710(APRS)] Bi-Directional+
                    > < DX=2*KA9QPN-15(31mi@89°)

                    I assume the D710 is the RF port for W9NTN-2? And you're using a
                    KWD710(APRS) port type which precludes digipeating as it doesn't support
                    transmitting a used path component, but it should work ok for an IGate.

                    However, if this is a fixed installation, you might want to consider
                    using a KISS port on the 710 as this provides more capability with the
                    tradeoff that you won't see any APRS activity on the D710's face.

                    Also, it looks like you've got beaconing turned off for some reason?
                    Check http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=W9NTN-2 for your raw packets. But your
                    D710 is beaconing fine according to
                    http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=W9NTN-1&limit=50&view=normal, even though
                    it's a bit frequent for a fixed station, IMHO. You might wonder why an
                    IGate would care about it's own position, but it allows packet path maps
                    to be generated when all the involved stations have a known location.

                    On 12/5/2013 12:10 PM, Timothy Bonnell wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    > I followed the steps to make w9ntn-2 an igate but it isn't showing up as an igate.
                    > My d710 is setup as w9ntn-1 and aprsis32 is setup as w9ntn-2 is this ok or should I change them? Thanks for your assistance.
                    > 73
                    > Timothy Bonnell
                    >
                    > Timothy Bonnell

                    > Yahoo Groups Links

                  • Timothy Bonnell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2013
                      Lynn,
                      The reason I have them separate is that if power goes out I have the D710 on back up power but not the computer yet.  As far as the igate not showing when I click on the station icon it shows lcldigi and digi and no igate. Other stations I click on show the number of igate packets that they have forwarded.
                      Thanks,
                      Timothy Bonnell