APRSis32 and Kam Plus

  • jlafe
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013

      I have been using UI-View for many years and am looking at APRSIS32 as a replacement.  I am having trouble getting APRSIS32 to talk to my kam plus.  Under UI-View, the way I got it to talk to my kam plus was by choosing host mode which then ran a kantronics script that initialized the kam.  With aprsis32, I tried setting up a kiss port with the proper parameters but I don't seem to be able to make the program talk to the tnc.  What am I doing wrong? Has anyone got aprsis32 working with a kam plus?

      Thanks for any help;

      Joe

      VA3JLF

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013
        On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM, <joe@...> wrote:

        > I am having trouble getting APRSIS32 to talk to my kam plus.
        > Under UI-View, the way I got it to talk to my kam plus was by
        > choosing host mode which then ran a kantronics script that
        > initialized the kam.

        Don't put the TNC into HOST mode.

        > With aprsis32, I tried setting up a kiss port with the proper parameters
        > but I don't seem to be able to make the program talk to the tnc.
        > What am I doing wrong? Has anyone got aprsis32 working with a kam plus?

        The simple answer as with attempting to get a connection to a KISS TNC
        working is to put the TNC into KISS mode, and set up a port on the
        proper communications port with Simply KISS. You're done.

        You say you've set up the KISS port parameters properly in
        APRSISCE/32, so all you need to do is put the TNC in KISS mode.

        Of course if you don't have the KISS port set up properly, you may
        still have problems.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013
          And for TNCs locked into KISS mode, make sure you use a Simply(KISS)
          type port and not just KISS as the latter is designed for Kenwood radios
          and will drop most TNCs out of KISS mode due to the provided
          <CloseCmd>s. Simply(KISS) provides no-operation <Open/CloseCmd>s and so
          preserves whatever configuration you have set in the TNC.

          On 12/3/2013 10:24 AM, James Ewen wrote:
          > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM, <joe@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I am having trouble getting APRSIS32 to talk to my kam plus.
          >> Under UI-View, the way I got it to talk to my kam plus was by
          >> choosing host mode which then ran a kantronics script that
          >> initialized the kam.
          > Don't put the TNC into HOST mode.
          >
          >> With aprsis32, I tried setting up a kiss port with the proper parameters
          >> but I don't seem to be able to make the program talk to the tnc.
          >> What am I doing wrong? Has anyone got aprsis32 working with a kam plus?
          > The simple answer as with attempting to get a connection to a KISS TNC
          > working is to put the TNC into KISS mode, and set up a port on the
          > proper communications port with Simply KISS. You're done.
          >
          > You say you've set up the KISS port parameters properly in
          > APRSISCE/32, so all you need to do is put the TNC in KISS mode.
          >
          > Of course if you don't have the KISS port set up properly, you may
          > still have problems.

        • Joseph LaFerla
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013
            Thanks to all who replied.  Following advice, I set up a simply kiss port and reset the kam as well.  It now works.  Evidently, the kam was not fully into kiss mode or not properly into kiss mode.  All seems to be working fine now.

            Joe
            VA3JLF

            Sent from Windows Mail