Can't get D700 mobile to beacon with GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver

  • tdichiara@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2013
      Gentlemen,

      I have tried to run the D700 mobile with a GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver plugged into the radio stero jack for that purpose. I can get it to work with UI-View 32 used a shared port setup. But have been unable to get it working with the APRSISCE/32 program. I have tried using the port setup for the D700 and can receive stations but when I go mobile it will not use the GPS input and the beacon location does not change. I checked the GPS box and have the radio connection on 9600 bps with the RF set to 1200 bps. Nothing works! Do I need to make a NMEA port also? I just am out of ideas. If anyone is running the program with a D700 and GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver please let me know how you have set it up.

      Thanks,
      Tom AC5MR
    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2013
        IIRC Lynn said that the D700 doesn't support GPS passthrough in packet mode, which is what APRSIS32 does with the D700. As I understand it the D700 has to be in packet mode, and APRSIS32 requires a separate NMEA source.

        Lynn will have to answer in more depth when he gets back home about his set up. I'm still messing about with mine when I have time (which isn't much), but it's not in my primary vehicle so it's very low priority for me.

        According to the release notes http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/2012-05-25-07:50 & http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/2012-02-29-02:29 There is supposed to be a D700 Receive only with GPS mode.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2013
          Thanks Adam, I thought that might be the case. So I am wondering if I can us another second USP to serial adaptor connected to the GPS and configure it as an NMEA port to receive the GPS data then beacon from the D700 port setup?

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

          > IIRC Lynn said that the D700 doesn't support GPS passthrough in packet mode, which is what APRSIS32 does with the D700. As I understand it the D700 has to be in packet mode, and APRSIS32 requires a separate NMEA source.
          > Lynn will have to answer in more depth when he gets back home about his set up. I'm still messing about with mine when I have time (which isn't much), but it's not in my primary vehicle so it's very low priority for me.
          > http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-d700
          > According to the release notes http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/2012-05-25-07:50 & http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/2012-02-29-02:29 There is supposed to be a D700 Receive only with GPS mode.
          > AdamKC2ANT
          > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          > From: tdichiara@...
          > Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:07:01 +0000
          > Subject: [aprsisce] Can't get D700 mobile to beacon with GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver

          > Gentlemen,
          >

          > I have tried to run the D700 mobile with a GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver plugged into the radio stero jack for that purpose. I can get it to work with UI-View 32 used a shared port setup. But have been unable to get it working with the APRSISCE/32 program. I have tried using the port setup for the D700 and can receive stations but when I go mobile it will not use the GPS input and the beacon location does not change. I checked the GPS box and have the radio connection on 9600 bps with the RF set to 1200 bps. Nothing works! Do I need to make a NMEA port also? I just am out of ideas. If anyone is running the program with a D700 and GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver please let me know how you have set it up.
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Tom AC5MR

        • Jeff Dugas (Mobile)
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2013
            I used to own a D700, before I acquired my D710.

            I *believe* I remember that the D700 supported GPS pass through on the 9-pin serial port. I'm straining brain cells here, but I seem to recall the command you have to send to the radio on the serial port to enable this function:

            AI 1 turns on GPS pass through
            AI 0 turns it off.

            If you search the D700 Group message archive, there should be some information ...

            Here's what I dug up upon a cursory Google search on a related issue.

            http://lists.xastir.org/pipermail/xastir/2004-June/005327.html

            73,
            Jeff
            N5TEV

            tdichiara@... wrote:

            >Thanks Adam, I thought that might be the case. So I am wondering if I can us another second USP to serial adaptor connected to the GPS and configure it as an NMEA port to receive the GPS data then beacon from the D700 port setup?
            >
            >--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> IIRC Lynn said that the D700 doesn't support GPS passthrough in packet mode, which is what APRSIS32 does with the D700. As I understand it the D700 has to be in packet mode, and APRSIS32 requires a separate NMEA source.
            >> Lynn will have to answer in more depth when he gets back home about his set up. I'm still messing about with mine when I have time (which isn't much), but it's not in my primary vehicle so it's very low priority for me.
            >> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-d700
            >> According to the release notes http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/2012-05-25-07:50 & http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/2012-02-29-02:29 There is supposed to be a D700 Receive only with GPS mode.
            >> AdamKC2ANT
            >> To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
            >> From: tdichiara@...
            >> Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:07:01 +0000
            >> Subject: [aprsisce] Can't get D700 mobile to beacon with GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver

            >> Gentlemen,
            >>

            >> I have tried to run the D700 mobile with a GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver plugged into the radio stero jack for that purpose. I can get it to work with UI-View 32 used a shared port setup. But have been unable to get it working with the APRSISCE/32 program. I have tried using the port setup for the D700 and can receive stations but when I go mobile it will not use the GPS input and the beacon location does not change. I checked the GPS box and have the radio connection on 9600 bps with the RF set to 1200 bps. Nothing works! Do I need to make a NMEA port also? I just am out of ideas. If anyone is running the program with a D700 and GARMIN GPS 18x PC Receiver please let me know how you have set it up.
            >>

            >> Thanks,
            >>
            >> Tom AC5MR
            >>

            >------------------------------------
            >
            >Yahoo Groups Links

          • kb9rku
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2013
              Here is a link to my copy of the D700 PC commands I posted to the group quite awhile back
              hope it helps

              KB9RKU
              Kurt Clausen
              Mobile Station KB9RKU-3

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2013
                Kurt, under the UI-View program D700 file I see the string you are talking about. It has ^C then AI 1!AI 1 so I have asked Lynn where to put that in the RF port section of his program. Thanks for your help.
                Tom AC5MR