Simply (KISS) Parameters

  • kc4lzn
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2013
      I've looked in the history and if I've overlooked it, my apologies.

      I'm using a TT4 in KISS mode and am setting up a port in Simply (KISS).

      Where are the parameters for this? Is it the program that determines TXDelay, Persist and such and if so, is it in the XML file? If not, is it set within the device since it doesn't do anything when it starts up? (no open or close commands).

      I ask this because I would like to adjust the TXDelay along with some other commands if this is even possible.

      73 John
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2013
        Simple(KISS) is the correct port type for the TT4.

        There are NO parameteres to set within APRSISce/32 for the TT4.  All settings should be done through the TT4 configuration application or a terminal program.  This includes TXDeley, Persist, .  . .

        Within APRSISce/32, you only need to worry about the physical port configuration:
        a) COM#, baud, Parity, Data bits, Stop bit(s)
            recommend 19200,n,8,1
        b) Bluetooth if your TT4 has that interface.
           Since you didn't mention this, I assume you are looking at "a)" above.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 20, 2013
          APRSISCE/32 lets the TNC configuration to the TNC when it comes to TXDelay, Persist, and such.  If you really must set them outside of the TNC, then you'll have to construct your own <OpenCmd>s and put them into the XML file as described at:

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:openclosecmd

          The Simply(KISS) type port supplies a single no-operation <OpenCmd> and <CloseCmd> that you can replace with whatever you want to do.

          If you're advanced enough to know that you want to adjust such esoteric parameters, then I figure you're capable of editing a file to put them into proper syntax for automatic execution.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 21, 2013
                This link provides the information on the <Open> and <Close> commands
                For the KPC-3 (non-Plus), I have found a couple of timing things that may help.
                <OpenCmd>^M~!!0</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>^C~!cmd:!2</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>CD SOFT!cmd:!1</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>XFLOW ON!cmd:!1</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF!cmd:!0</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>INT KISS!!0</OpenCmd>
                <OpenCmd>RESET!!3</OpenCmd>
                <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
                <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!cmd:!3</CloseCmd>
                Notethe number just before the "</" are the timing values I found that work.

                Key items in the above:
                  CD SOFT -> allows the TNC to determine

                The big timing issue seemed to be the RESET!!3 provides enough time for the reset to happen,

                K7MT just went through a similar thing and he used the above settings to get "on-the-air".

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 21, 2013
                    Then you really want to read up on the TT4 and how it works.
                    If I were you, I think I'd still stick to the TT4 side of things - even asking in the TT4 yahoo group about timing.  The main reason is that there really are no good "published" duration units fro the TT4.  Some are milliseconds, some seconds, some are in units of the RF baud rate, but the Firmware manual does not always tell you.

                    The key values I can think of are:

                    Just delays:
                    TXD - in bytes (7ms units).
                    QUIET - in 100 ms units

                    Channel open criteria:
                    CDMODE TONES
                    CDLEVEL - only if TONES (and maybe PIN2) it becomes a timer like QUIET

                    Standard KISS mode timing constraints:
                      PERSIST - higher longer (based on SLOTTIME and randomness)
                      SLOTTIME - see persist (but is not 'separately' listed in firmware manual)

                    Robert Giuliano
                    KB8RCO