I don't understand this...

  • ltdoc
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 19, 2013
      There are two of us having a problem.  A friend set up APRSIS for transmitting on RF and it's working.  He/we wanted to see what would happen if I set up a TM-V710 at home for APRS and to test a few things with his system.  I've had the '710 working on APRS a number of times with no problems, but tonight he couldn't get a signal from me at all.  I used from low to high power, still only a marginal signal with his setup.  Using voice we can both receive each other just fine.  But, no APRS signal from me to him.  Him to me works fine.  Even tried frequencies other than 144.390, and nothing.  He could hear the signal, using 'AGW' software and the 'waterfall' the signal was 'miss-shapped'.  It would show up in a terminal program but wasn't being sent to the APRSIS program (or UI-View either).  I think we've tried everything imaginable with no luck.  Anyone have any ideas?
       - 'Doc
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2013
        You might add some detail on the 2 setups, especially hardware - since no computer app is decoding properly.

        TNCs -> both AGW, or soething else?
            Are you trying to use multiple "streams"? - APRSISce/32 ony transmits on first stream.

        Signal appearing as "Misshaped" can be a lot of things.  Distortion from audio levels or RF getting into the AF are examples.
        Since the information is going in one direction OKAY, you can probably rule out ON-Air baud rate.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 20, 2013

          What is the callsign-SSID of the TM-V710 (I think you probably meant D710 actually?)?

          Does anything else decode his transmitted signals?

          Can you screen cap his signal on the waterfall and post it here?

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 20, 2013

            There are several 'issues' in all this so I'll try to simplify things a bit.

            Setup consists of a receiver (TM-281) feeding the AGW program and the soundcard.  I'm using both UI-View and APRS32 to display the received information, which is RF only.  This has all worked fine till the last day or two, when my friend set up his station for RF RX and TX.  (He's about 2 miles from me so doubt if his signal is exactly 'swamping' my receiver.)

            ---
            One problem is that to try to 'help' my friend I've made some of the settings changes he's made to see what's going on.  I doubt if I've re-set those changes correctly so think I'll just uninstall and start over from scratch.  That brings up another question, do I need to get 'authorization' for that new install??
            ---
            There were/are other issues in all this mainly with interference/antenna problems/etc.  Those are being eliminated.
            So...?
             - 'Doc

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 20, 2013
              Can you please just answer the simple question of what is the friend's callsign-SSID on the D710 so that we can determine if anyone else is decoding it?

              You don't need to uninstall APRSIS32, just close the client, delete the APRSIS32.XML file, and restart the client.  All configuration values are inside the XML file.

              But before you do that, is AGW/UI-View seeing anything since you made your settings changes?  If not, then the issue likely isn't with APRSIS32, but with AGW or your receiving.  Until/unless AGW actually decodes something, then nothing will see it.  One high possibility is that you've bumped the volume between the radio and the soundcard input causing AGW to no longer be able to decode.  Unless, of course, you're using a fixed-level output from the TM-281.

              PS.  I'm playing with auto-insert signatures so please pardon my top/bottom sigs from earlier!  Yes, for all these years I've been manually typing the signature on each message!

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 20, 2013
                It doesn't appear the TM-281 has a fixed audio out on the MIC jack or any data jack.
                Another "decode killer" I ran into was that someone turned on CTCSS decode while moving the radio.  No tone, no decode!

                As Lynn said, the XML holds everything.  It only "makes backups" under 2 conditions:
                  Last "clean-loading" version is held as -SAFE, but overwritten with the "next -SAFE"
                  Version Updates - save EXE and XML with date.

                Future, you may want to keep a copy of your "working XML" under a different name before experimenting.
                I usually make a backup when I make changes, more to keep in case I want multiple configurations than a backup.

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 20, 2013

                  My friend's call id KF5IRG.

                  I've looked at the AGW program's setup, it's correct.

                  The receiver's (TM-281) volume control is at the correct level.  I wish there was a 'data' jack on the '281, but it's strictly audio output.  I've substituted another receiver with the same results so I doubt if it's the receiver's problem.

                  I have the '710, not my friend to clear that up.  Until just recently (2 days?) is has done exactly what it's supposed to do, don't really think there's a problem there.

                  Sound's like it was me changing things in the APRSIS program?  I agree!  Going to dump the 'XML' file and start over.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 20, 2013
                    But you said that UI-View wasn't showing anything any more either and that it was connected to the same AGW instance.  It sounds more like AGW is no longer decoding than it does any configuration in APRSISCE/32.

                    If you watch AGW with AGWmonitor, do  you see any packets decoded?  If not, then the issue isn't with the APRS client, but between the radio, the sound card, and AGW.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 21, 2013

                        George, KF5IRG, has made some changes lately dealing with the internet.  He doesn't use/run

                        an Igate now and there isn't one locally.  So, all of this is strictly RF.

                        'Aprs.fi' is never real time, and around here, it isn't even close most of the time (days, not seconds/minutes)

                        so isn't too useful for how APRS is used here.

                        I honestly don't know what 'cured' the problems, but they have disappeared for the moment.  I think part

                        of the 'problem' was in how the two programs, UI-View and APRSISCE, do things a little differently,

                        mostly in interpretation of things (user interface etc).

                        'Dumping' that 'XML' file seems to have 'cured' a few things, maybe that was the biggy?

                        Thanks...

                         - 'Doc

                        Separate Gripe!

                        I wish 'yahoo' would leave things alone!  As it is now, half the time I can't even get the @#$ thing to display

                        messages.  'Change' just for the sake of change is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of and

                        the forums are almost useless as is.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 21, 2013
                          Ok, I'm glad things seem to be sorted out.  If anything else comes up, feel free to post here.  The more details, especially callsign-SSIDs, the better.

                          aprs.fi is only as good as the APRS-IS which is only as good as the IGates in the area.  I see what you mean about the RF-only aspect.  Here's the area out to 127 miles from your QTH.  You could lend a lot to the network if you'd put up an IGate!

                          On 11/21/2013 7:22 AM, ltdoc@... wrote:

[...]

                          Lynn(D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
[...]

                        • Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 21, 2013
                            Doc (callsign?) wrote…

                            > 'Aprs.fi' is never real time, and around here, it isn't even close most of the time (days, not seconds/minutes)…

                            Days… are you talking about extremely delayed packets being gated, or days going by before a particular station is heard by an IGate?

                            73 Keith VE7GDH
                            www.ui-view. org
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 21, 2013
                              Doc (callsign?) wrote…

                              > 'Aprs.fi' is never real time

                              aprs.fi will display only the data that is provided to it. If you
                              don't provide data, it won't show it to you.

                              For the rest of the world, data gated from RF to the APRS-IS stream
                              can be found on aprs.fi within a second or two.

                              As with the original statement that started the thread, more
                              clarification of what you actually meant versus the little snippet of
                              partial information would allow us to comment and provide feedback
                              that may help you understand what you may be misinterpreting, or
                              misunderstanding.

                            • ltdoc
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 27, 2013

                                 James,

                                   Yes, I do have a call sign, W5LZ...

                                 - 'Doc

                                Doc (callsign?) wrote…

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 27, 2013
                                  Given a callsign, we can look at the data you are sending.

                                  2013-11-23 15:34:40 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HUN:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=31,DIR_CNT=10,RF_CNT=34,DX=1*KI4LOA-14(14mi@208<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 15:37:41 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLNW:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=1,DIR_CNT=0,RF_CNT=1,DX=1*W5TTL-9(20mi@206<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 15:38:25 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=0,DIR_CNT=0,RF_CNT=0,DX=1*W5TTL-9(20mi@206<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 15:45:07 UTC: W5LZ>3T5V2Y,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:'{J@l <0x1c>-/]Safe at home...maybe.=
                                  2013-11-23 15:47:53 UTC: W5LZ>3T5V2Y,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:'{J@l <0x1c>-/]Safe at home...maybe.=
                                  2013-11-23 15:50:54 UTC: W5LZ>3T5V2Y,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:'{J@l <0x1c>-/]Safe at home...maybe.=
                                  2013-11-23 15:54:00 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231553zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 15:54:12 UTC: W5LZ>3T5V2Y,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:'{J@l <0x1c>-/]Safe at home...maybe.=
                                  2013-11-23 15:55:00 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231554zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 15:56:04 UTC: W5LZ>3T5V2Y,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,KF5IRG:'{J@l <0x1c>-/]Safe at home...maybe.=
                                  2013-11-23 16:25:01 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231624zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 16:35:01 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=22,DIR_CNT=3,RF_CNT=24,DX=1*W5TTL-9(24mi@338<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 16:55:02 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231654zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 17:25:03 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231725zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 17:35:03 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=32,DIR_CNT=3,RF_CNT=37,DX=4*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 17:55:03 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231755zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 18:25:04 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231825zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 18:35:05 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=14,DIR_CNT=3,RF_CNT=14,DX=1*K5DUG-2(9mi@24<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 18:55:05 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231855zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 19:25:06 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:>231925zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 19:35:06 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TURKIYE:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=10,DIR_CNT=2,RF_CNT=11,DX=4*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 19:55:07 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:>231955zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 20:25:08 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:>232025zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 20:35:08 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=7,DIR_CNT=2,RF_CNT=8,DX=4*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 20:55:09 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:>232055zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 21:25:09 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:>232125zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 21:35:10 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=7,DIR_CNT=2,RF_CNT=8,DX=4*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 21:55:10 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:>232155zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 22:25:11 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:>232225zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 22:35:11 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=5,DIR_CNT=2,RF_CNT=6,DX=4*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-23 22:55:12 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2DENMARK:>232255zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-23 23:37:08 UTC: W5LZ>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2ARK:=3456.29N/09546.36WIMonitoring 145.370 {UIV32}
                                  2013-11-24 00:07:06 UTC: W5LZ>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2ARK:=3456.29N/09546.36WIMonitoring 145.370 {UIV32}
                                  2013-11-24 00:11:53 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=10,DIR_CNT=2,RF_CNT=10,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 00:13:23 UTC: W5LZ>3T5V2Y,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:'{J@l <0x1c>&/]IGating=
                                  2013-11-24 00:25:15 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240025zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 00:39:07 UTC: W5LZ>3T5V2Y,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:'{J@l <0x1c>-/]Safe at home...maybe.=
                                  2013-11-24 00:55:15 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240055zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 01:12:16 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=10,DIR_CNT=2,RF_CNT=12,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 01:25:16 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240125zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 01:55:17 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240155zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 02:12:18 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=11,DIR_CNT=3,RF_CNT=11,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 02:25:18 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240225zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 02:55:19 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240255zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 03:12:19 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=20,DIR_CNT=11,RF_CNT=22,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 03:25:20 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240325zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 03:55:21 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240355zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 04:12:21 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=23,DIR_CNT=15,RF_CNT=24,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 04:25:22 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240425zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 04:55:22 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240455zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 05:12:23 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=24,DIR_CNT=15,RF_CNT=25,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 05:25:23 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240525zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 05:55:24 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240555zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 06:12:25 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=19,DIR_CNT=9,RF_CNT=21,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 06:25:25 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240625zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 06:55:26 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240655zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 07:12:26 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=22,DIR_CNT=12,RF_CNT=23,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 07:25:27 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240725zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 07:55:28 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240755zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 08:12:28 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=12,DIR_CNT=10,RF_CNT=13,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 08:25:28 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240825zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 08:55:29 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240855zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 09:12:30 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=16,DIR_CNT=10,RF_CNT=16,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 09:25:30 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NUERNBG:>240925zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 09:55:31 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2IRELAND:>240955zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 10:12:31 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2IRELAND:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=25,DIR_CNT=14,RF_CNT=26,DX=1*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 12:29:02 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HUN:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=23,DIR_CNT=9,RF_CNT=27,DX=3*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!
                                  2013-11-24 12:55:36 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HUN:>241255zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 13:25:37 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HUN:>241325zAPRSISCE/32
                                  2013-11-24 13:29:07 UTC: W5LZ>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HUN:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=27,DIR_CNT=8,RF_CNT=32,DX=3*W5CUQ(7mi@0<0xb0>),R/O!

                                  We can see that the whole time you were running APRSISCE/32, you never sent a position report. With no position reports sent, you're not going to show up on aprs.fi.

                                  You can't blame the site for not displaying information you haven't provided.

                                  That's kind of like blaming a kit manufacturer for your poor soldering and assembly skills like this guy did:

                                  It is nearly impossible to believe that this guy tried to blame ham gadgets for the unit not working.