Weird

  • Don Poaps
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
      Greetings

      I have the cross hair located right at my QTH in New Westminister. va7dgp-1. When I load up APRS.fi. My locations is off towards Abbotsford, BC

      Something not being picked up or pumped into the Internet.

      Don va7 dgp

      --
      Don Poaps
      New Westminster, BC

    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
        http://aprs.fi/info/?call=VA7DGP-1

        It would appear that you have some position ambiguity going on.

        Precision reduced at transmitter by 4 digits, position resolution approximately 69.0 miles.

        Do you have a GPS hooked up? Is it enabled? if you don't, make sure it's disabled. If you do make sure it's enabled and has a good lock.

        Also check Configure->Beacon->Precision for a "Normal" setting.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
          http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VA7DGP-1&limit=300&view=normal

          I don't even see a posit for that station in the raw packets.

          http://aprs.fi/info/VA7DGP-1

          says the last posit was "2013-10-02 11:12:03 PDT local time at Vancouver, Canada [?]" and " Precision reduced at transmitter by 4 digits, position resolution approximately 69.0 miles."

          So you need to double-check your Configure / Beacon / Precision setting.

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
            No GPS. Fixed. All my APRS are fixed except for my Kenwood HT.

            Don va7dgp

            Will check when I get home tonight

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

              From: va7dgp@...
              Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 08:05:55 -0700

              Greetings

              I have the cross hair located right at my QTH in New Westminister. va7dgp-1. When I load up APRS.fi. My locations is off towards Abbotsford, BC

              Something not being picked up or pumped into the Internet.

              Don va7 dgp

              --
              Don Poaps
              New Westminster, BC
              VA7DGP
              Satern Member
              Vector Member
              Surrey Amateur Radio

              Recent Activity:

              --
              Don Poaps
              New Westminster, BC

              Don Poaps
              New Westminster, BC
              VA7DGP
              Satern Member
              Vector Member
              Surrey Amateur Radio

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                There's still no posit packets showing up.  What do you have checked on the Configure / Ports / APRS-IS?  And do you have Enables / Beaconing Enabled checked?

                VA7DGP-1 is answering messages, and it also appears that its RF port is working as it has heard 8 direct and 23 local stations (?IGATE response).  Interesting that two of the direct stations are "NONE" and "SSI".  Even "SRRY39"?

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                        Now I see some posits at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VA7DGP-1&limit=25&view=normal

                        However, you probably want to uncheck Configure / Status's GridSquare in the Status Report box.  If you're transmitting posits, then including the GridSquare in your status report simply confuses some APRS clients into bouncing you between the approximate location of the GridSquare (typically the center of the rectangle) and your more detailed position from the posit.  It's like telling someone you're in a given city and then giving them the address and then telling them city and then giving the address ad nauseum.

                        Only you know which setting you might have changed to get the posits to come out.  Enabling the Paccom KISS (TNC) should not have been it, unless you're now gating your own posits being heard from a digipeater and not necessarily injecting them to the APRS-IS directly.

                        Bring up and enable the Transmit trace log if you're curious as to what's going where.

                        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                          Don VA7DGP wrote...

                          > I have the cross hair located right at my QTH in New Westminister.
                          > [SIC] va7dgp-1. When I load up APRS.fi. My locations is off towards
                          > Abbotsford, BC Something not being picked up or pumped into the
                          > Internet.

                          http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VA7DGP*&limit=1000&view=normal

                          VA7DGP-1 is mostly beaconing telemetry. However, I see a grid square
                          sent a few minutes ago in a "best DX report" CN89me. I wasn't seeing
                          you on RF. I added DGP-1 to my filter and got you to send a position
                          report. Now I can see you via TCPIP, plotted somewhere within that
                          grid square, which does take in New Westminster.

                          Looking on aprs.fi, at first I didn't at first see any recent position
                          reports from VA7DGP-1. When did you see yourself out by Abbotsford?
                          Since I forced a beacon from you, I have seen a couple of position
                          reports containing a lat/long, about half an hour apart. The lat/long
                          puts you are your usual home QTH. The grid square of course just
                          puts you somewhere in the grid square. However, it wasn't way up
                          the valley at Abbotsford. Whatever was happening to place you at
                          Abbotsford didn't apparently make it to the APRS-IS.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          www.ui-view.org
                        • Don Poaps
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                            APRS.fi showed my call out by Chilliwack, Abbotsford area. I have modified info per Lynn. I think its beaconing ok now.

                            Don va7dgp

                            Don VA7DGP wrote...

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                              Don VA7DGP wrote…

                              APRS.fi showed my call out by Chilliwack, Abbotsford area. I have modified info per Lynn. I think its beaconing ok now.

                              I don't know why aprs.fi was doing that. I could understand that if you were beaconing a grid square of CN89 but not CN89me.

                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              www.ui-view.org

                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                2013-11-02 17:53:44 EDT: VA7DGP-1>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2ONTARIO:>CN89me/lDX: VA7LLB-9 42.0mi 104<0xb0> 21:53 4902.76N 12203.35W

                                Actually, that's one area where APRSISCE/32 is out of spec.  The GridSquare in the status report is supposed to be:

                                The Maidenhead grid locator may be 4 or 6 characters long, and must immediately follow the > Data Type Identifier.

                                Well, I got that part right, but it goes on to say:

                                All letters must be transmitted in upper case.

                                So the aprs.fi parser might be ignoring the final two lower-case letters (yes, I need to fix that regardless of how much more human-friendly I think it is).  But then again, the spec goes on to say:

                                Letters may be received in upper case or lower case.

                                But the difference between "must" and "may" means that the APRSISCE/32 packet is out of spec whereas any parser that ignores the lower case would simply not be opting for accepting lower case.

                                I'll have to bone up on my perl (I think) and take a look at libFAP to see just what it does with this.

                                PS.  But then again, it's a moot point because VA7DGP-1 has removed the (redundant and misleading) GridSquare from the status report anyway!

                                Don VA7DGP wrote…

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                  Thank You for the imput today. I must have check something and mess
                                  something up.

                                  Later

                                  Don

                                  On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                                  > 2013-11-02 17:53:44 EDT: VA7DGP-1>APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2ONTARIO:>CN89me/lDX: VA7LLB-9 42.0mi 104<0xb0> 21:53 4902.76N 12203.35W
                                  >

                                  > Actually, that's one area where APRSISCE/32 is out of spec. The GridSquare in the status report is supposed to be:
                                  >
                                  > The Maidenhead grid locator may be 4 or 6 characters long, and must immediately follow the > Data Type Identifier.

                                  <snipped>
                                  --
                                  Don Poaps
                                  New Westminster, BC
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                    No, I didn't mean that. You're beaconing posits and not beaconing
                                    GridSquares any more, so you are good. I was answering the curiosity
                                    about how you were so far out of place BEFORE you made the changes today.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                      I'll have to bone up on my perl (I think) and take a look at libFAP to see just what it does with this.

                                      http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/HESSU/Ham-APRS-FAP-1.19/ seems to be the latest online from 30-Dec-2012 and it doesn't support GridSquares in Status Reports anyway.  That doesn't mean that Hessu isn't parsing it external to the library though.

                                      But I don't think so, since even his decoded view doesn't show it whereas the decoded view after the timestamp was provided does show the parse of the timestamp.

                                      So we still don't know how aprs.fi had the station so far off, but it has it correct now, right?

                                    • Don Poaps
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                        FYI

                                        I have a ham friend in CA that is trying to setup a APRS Robust Packet Igate on 10147.3  I sent him the Link for APRSIS32. He's into Linux.

                                        Thank You again

                                        --
                                        Don Poaps
                                        New Westminster, BC

                                      • Don Poaps

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                            The person you need to track down is N1ZZZ who is marine mobile running Robust Packet on 30m using APRSIS32.  I gave it a quick search, but couldn't find the particular link where he described his setup.  But google it all together and see what you can learn.

                                            And APRSIS32 runs will under WINE!  It's all about setting port security and getting one "registry" entry built correctly.

                                            See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:linux

                                            --
                                            Don Poaps
                                            New Westminster, BC

                                          • Don Poaps
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                              I was tracking N1ZZZ /MM direct until he went quite as he dropped into the Suez Canal. After that I have not picked up a signal Robust Packet on 10147.3. Not even the east coast. He will begin to Beacon somewhere around Nov 4 once he gets into the Mediterrean Sea.
                                              I'm also running UZ7HO and AWGtracker on 2000 HZ. I have picked the ISS and various station (ie ND7AN-4) and west coast Packet stations. I have not picked up Stephen as he motors across USA. It seems that 30 m is dead.

                                              Later

                                              Don

                                              --
                                              Don Poaps
                                              New Westminster, BC

                                              Don Poaps
                                              New Westminster, BC
                                              VA7DGP
                                              Satern Member
                                              Vector Member
                                              Surrey Amateur Radio

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                                I'm using Direwolf and UZ7HO on 10.147.60 USB and am picking up stations:

                                                --
                                                Don Poaps
                                                New Westminster, BC

                                                Don Poaps
                                                New Westminster, BC
                                                VA7DGP
                                                Satern Member
                                                Vector Member
                                                Surrey Amateur Radio

                                              • Don Poaps
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                                  Your not picking stations north of w0

                                                  --
                                                  Don Poaps
                                                  New Westminster, BC

                                                • Don Poaps
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 2, 2013
                                                    I'm sorry fat fingers. Your not picking stations north of w0th Tracey, CA. I have ve7av-4, w7kj I think, ve4gls a WX station. I only picked 1 WA station all day today I'm not even getting the east coast. I only picked n1py I think the other day. That's the furthest packet station I picked up.

                                                    My station runs almost 23 hours a day.

                                                    Later

                                                    --
                                                    Don Poaps