KPC-3 with aprsisce problem locking into kiss mode

  • va3nsc
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
      Heres the prob folks, I have a KPC-3 I am trying to set up to work with aprsisce. For some reason it wont stay locked into kiss mode. I have used pacterm to put it into kiss mode as follows..cmd intface it comes up as newuser so I cmd intface kiss then enter,it shows in kiss mode so I cmd reset.  Fire up aprsisce and the tnc works fine,but if I turn the tnc off and back on again,refire the program it will not connect. I check pacterm again and intface is in terminal mode..any ideas on how to keep it locked into kiss mode? Dave
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
        Put a new battery in your KPC-3.  It sounds like it is resetting to factory defaults every time you power it down.

        Try setting some other setting (like MYCALL), turn it off, wait a bit, turn it on and see if you MYCALL has also disappeared.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
            Someone else (Jeremy can't remember the call sign) used this for the port config with a 9612.

            <!--RFPort[0]-->
            <RFPort Name="KAM">
            <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
            <Device>COM4:9600,N,8,1</Device>
            <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>XFLOW ON!!0</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF!!0</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>INT KISS!!0</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>RESET!!0</OpenCmd>
            <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
            <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>
            <CloseCmd>TC 1!TS 1</CloseCmd>
            <CloseCmd>TN 2,0!TN 2,0</CloseCmd>
            <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>
            <Enabled>1</Enabled>
            <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
            <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
            <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
            <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
            <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
            <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
            <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
            <BulletinObjectEnabled>0</BulletinObjectEnabled>
            <DXEnabled>0</DXEnabled>
            <DXPath></DXPath>
            <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
            <MessagePath></MessagePath>
            <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
            <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
            <!--DigiXform-->
            </RFPort>
            <!--RFPort[0]-->

            I know that I managed to lock my 9612 into KISS but I don't remember how I did it.

            Adam
            KC2ANT

            PS Yes I know the KPC3+ is a different model, but I've found a lot of the commands to be the same/similar for programming.

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                  Great catch Patrick!  You are correct that one of the two following <CloseCmd>s will knock a KPC-3 out of KISS mode:

                  <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
                  <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>

                  Dave, If you have these in your APRSIS32.XML file, and you want your KPC-3 to stay in KISS mode when APRSISCE/32 isn't running, then you need to remove them or replace them with the following No-Op.

                  <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

                  The other <CloseCmd>s listed below are Kenwood-specific commands that probably shouldn't be firing at anyone's KPC-3 device!

                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  From: kj4erj@...
                  Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59 -0400

                  Put a new battery in your KPC-3.  It sounds like it is resetting to factory defaults every time you power it down.

                  Try setting some other setting (like MYCALL), turn it off, wait a bit, turn it on and see if you MYCALL has also disappeared.

                  On 10/30/2013 9:26 AM, va3nsc@... wrote:
                  Heres the prob folks, I have a KPC-3 I am trying to set up to work with aprsisce. For some reason it wont stay locked into kiss mode. I have used pacterm to put it into kiss mode as follows..cmd intface it comes up as newuser so I cmd intface kiss then enter,it shows in kiss mode so I cmd reset.  Fire up aprsisce and the tnc works fine,but if I turn the tnc off and back on again,refire the program it will not connect. I check pacterm again and intface is in terminal mode..any ideas on how to keep it locked into kiss mode? Dave

                • Larry Ellsworth - K6KUS
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                    I think the command to put it into kiss mode is "kiss on" then there is another command to make it stay in kiss mode. I just can't for the life of me remember what it is. But there is a command that set's it to keep the kiss mode on even after reboot. It's some command that set's it to a perm prameter that will survive power off or reboot.
                    Larry Ellsworth
                              K6KUS
                        Irlp Node 7413
                    Echolink Node 524805
                      Allstar Link 27775

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 9:27 AM

                    Great catch
                    Patrick!  You are correct
                    that one of the two following <CloseCmd>s will
                    knock a KPC-3
                    out of KISS mode:

                    <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>

                    <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>

                    Dave, If you have these in your APRSIS32.XML file, and
                    you want
                    your KPC-3 to stay in KISS mode when APRSISCE/32
                    isn't running,
                    then you need to remove them or replace them with the
                    following
                    No-Op.

                    <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

                    The other <CloseCmd>s listed below are
                    Kenwood-specific
                    commands that probably shouldn't be firing at
                    anyone's KPC-3
                    device!

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows
                    Mobile and
                    Win32

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                    From: kj4erj@...

                    Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                    -0400

                    Subject: Re: [aprsisce] KPC-3 with
                    aprsisce
                    problem locking into kiss mode

                    Put a new battery in your
                    KPC-3.  It
                    sounds like it is resetting
                    to factory
                    defaults every time you
                    power it down.

                    Try setting some other
                    setting (like
                    MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                    bit, turn
                    it on and see if you MYCALL
                    has also
                    disappeared.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                    of APRSISCE
                    for Windows Mobile and
                    Win32

                    On
                    10/30/2013 9:26
                    AM, va3nsc@...
                    wrote:

                    Heres the prob
                    folks, I have
                    a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                    up to work
                    with aprsisce. For some
                    reason it wont
                    stay locked into kiss mode.
                    I have used
                    pacterm to put it into kiss
                    mode as
                    follows..cmd intface it
                    comes up as
                    newuser so I cmd intface
                    kiss then
                    enter,it shows in kiss mode
                    so I cmd
                    reset.  Fire up
                    aprsisce and the tnc
                    works fine,but if I turn the
                    tnc off and
                    back on again,refire the
                    program it will
                    not connect. I check pacterm
                    again and
                    intface is in terminal
                    mode..any ideas
                    on how to keep it locked
                    into kiss mode?
                    Dave
                  • va3nsc

                        From: kj4erj@...

                        Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                        -0400

                        aprsisce
                        problem locking into kiss mode

                        Put a new battery in your
                        KPC-3.  It
                        sounds like it is resetting
                        to factory
                        defaults every time you
                        power it down.

                        Try setting some other
                        setting (like
                        MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                        bit, turn
                        it on and see if you MYCALL
                        has also
                        disappeared.

                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                        of APRSISCE
                        for Windows Mobile and
                        Win32

                        On
                        10/30/2013 9:26
                        AM, va3nsc@...
                        wrote:

                        Heres the prob
                        folks, I have
                        a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                        up to work
                        with aprsisce. For some
                        reason it wont
                        stay locked into kiss mode.
                        I have used
                        pacterm to put it into kiss
                        mode as
                        follows..cmd intface it
                        comes up as
                        newuser so I cmd intface
                        kiss then
                        enter,it shows in kiss mode
                        so I cmd
                        reset.  Fire up
                        aprsisce and the tnc
                        works fine,but if I turn the
                        tnc off and
                        back on again,refire the
                        program it will
                        not connect. I check pacterm
                        again and
                        intface is in terminal
                        mode..any ideas
                        on how to keep it locked
                        into kiss mode?
                        Dave
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                          Have you connected to the TNC with a terminal application, (e.g., PuTTY or TeraTerm)?

                          Once the TNC is in KISS, you will still see data but it will have interesting characters in the data stream. you should still see some relevant data but not all of it.

                          If you cycle the power to the TNC, are the results the same?

                          If yes, then you can create a SimplyKISS port in APRSIS32 and be done.

                          If not, then you will need a KISS port with commands to put the TNC into KISS and take it back out.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred N7FMH

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                            See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-kpc-3 and pick up an entire known-to-have-worked set of <Open/CloseCmd>s from there.

                            Once you have those in place, check Enables / Logging / File Enabled and Enables / Logging / Port(<YourPortName>) and then disable, wait, and re-enable the port then wait for some packets to come in.  The Port(<YourPortName>) should contain some diagnostics that should show the interaction with the TNC.

                            These commands will put the TNC into and out of KISS mode whenever the port is enabled/disabled or APRSISCE/32 is executed/closed.  The only thing that locking the TNC into KISS mode does is to ensure that if the TNC drops power or otherwise resets while APRSISCE/32 is running, the port will continue working.  With switching it into and out of KISS mode, a TNC reset will drop it out of KISS and APRSISCE/32 will quit getting packets until the port or program is bounced.

                            This is no worse than using the internal TNC in a Kenwood radio in KISS mode because those radios don't even provide a way to lock into KISS.  If the TNC or radio resets, you need to disable/enable the port in APRSISCE/32 to get it back into KISS mode for operations.

                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                            From: kj4erj@...

                            Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                            -0400

                            aprsisce
                            problem locking into kiss mode

                            Put a new battery in your
                            KPC-3.  It
                            sounds like it is resetting
                            to factory
                            defaults every time you
                            power it down.

                            Try setting some other
                            setting (like
                            MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                            bit, turn
                            it on and see if you MYCALL
                            has also
                            disappeared.

                            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                            of APRSISCE
                            for Windows Mobile and
                            Win32

                            On
                            10/30/2013 9:26
                            AM, va3nsc@...
                            wrote:

                            Heres the prob
                            folks, I have
                            a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                            up to work
                            with aprsisce. For some
                            reason it wont
                            stay locked into kiss mode.
                            I have used
                            pacterm to put it into kiss
                            mode as
                            follows..cmd intface it
                            comes up as
                            newuser so I cmd intface
                            kiss then
                            enter,it shows in kiss mode
                            so I cmd
                            reset.  Fire up
                            aprsisce and the tnc
                            works fine,but if I turn the
                            tnc off and
                            back on again,refire the
                            program it will
                            not connect. I check pacterm
                            again and
                            intface is in terminal
                            mode..any ideas
                            on how to keep it locked
                            into kiss mode?
                            Dave

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                              On the KPC3+, to enter KISS, Type IN KISS (short for INTFACE KISS). This can be done in NEWUSER mode.

                              It is the same in my KPC v5.0 manual as well. It does mention that after setting the mode, a soft reset (power cycle) must be performed. To me this means it will continue to be in KISS after power up.

                              Best regards,
                              Fred N7FMH

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                                If you are using OPEN and CLOSE commands, you are defeating the purpose.
                                Your initial post said you want it to remain in KISS mode across resets.
                                As Fred said -
                                   If you want it to remain in KISS between "reboots", use Simple(KISS) - BLANK Open and Close
                                   If you want to "put the TNC in KISS mode on start of APRS, then you need the commands in the OPEN and CLOSE.

                                KEEP in KISS:
                                1. open APRSISce/32 and delete port (must be DISABLED)
                                2. Create new "Simple(KISS) port for KPC3
                                3. Disable NEW KPC3 port (probably won't connect anyway)
                                4. Open terminal program and connect to KPC3
                                5. ISSUE commands to place TNC in KISS mode
                                     cmd: INT KISS<enter>
                                     cmd: reset<enter>
                                6.  Check received data for KISS format CO {HEX CODE} CO
                                7. Close terminal program

                                Robert Giuliano
                                KB8RCO

                                Once you have those in place, check Enables / Logging / File Enabled and Enables / Logging / Port(<YourPortName>) and then disable, wait, and re-enable the port then wait for some packets to come in.  The Port(<YourPortName>) should contain some diagnostics that should show the interaction with the TNC.

                                These commands will put the TNC into and out of KISS mode whenever the port is enabled/disabled or APRSISCE/32 is executed/closed.  The only thing that locking the TNC into KISS mode does is to ensure that if the TNC drops power or otherwise resets while APRSISCE/32 is running, the port will continue working.  With switching it into and out of KISS mode, a TNC reset will drop it out of KISS and APRSISCE/32 will quit getting packets until the port or program is bounced.

                                This is no worse than using the internal TNC in a Kenwood radio in KISS mode because those radios don&apos;t even provide a way to lock into KISS.  If the TNC or radio resets, you need to disable/enable the port in APRSISCE/32 to get it back into KISS mode for operations.

                                On 10/30/2013 12:35 PM, va3nsc@... wrote:
                                Thats what I thought Larry thanks for the input...this has me baffled
                                Dave

                                I think the command to put it into kiss mode is "kiss on" then there is another command to make it stay in kiss mode. I just can&apos;t for the life of me remember what it is. But there is a command that set&apos;s it to keep the kiss mode on even after reboot. It&apos;s some command that set&apos;s it to a perm prameter that will survive power off or reboot.

                                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 9:27 AM

                                Great catch
                                Patrick!  You are correct
                                that one of the two following <CloseCmd>s will
                                knock a KPC-3
                                out of KISS mode:

                                <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>

                                <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>

                                Dave, If you have these in your APRSIS32.XML file, and
                                you want
                                your KPC-3 to stay in KISS mode when APRSISCE/32
                                isn&apos;t running,
                                then you need to remove them or replace them with the
                                following
                                No-Op.

                                <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

                                The other <CloseCmd>s listed below are
                                Kenwood-specific
                                commands that probably shouldn&apos;t be firing at
                                anyone&apos;s KPC-3
                                device!

                                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows
                                Mobile and
                                Win32

                                Doesn&apos;t

                                wrote:

                                Thats how its set Adam,I have some other
                                tnc&apos;s here I will
                                try another and see if it does the same thing
                                with
                                them...thanks for responding. Dave

                                ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com,
                                mailto:kc2ant@... wrote:

                                Someone else (Jeremy
                                can&apos;t remember the
[...]

                                but I don&apos;t
                                remember how I did
                                it.

                                Adam
                                KC2ANT

                                PS Yes I know
                                the KPC3+ is a different model,
                                but I&apos;ve found

                                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                                From: kj4erj@...

                                Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                                -0400

                                aprsisce
                                problem locking into kiss mode

                                Put a new battery in your
                                KPC-3.  It
                                sounds like it is resetting
                                to factory
                                defaults every time you
                                power it down.

                                Try setting some other
                                setting (like
                                MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                                bit, turn
                                it on and see if you MYCALL
                                has also
                                disappeared.

                                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                                of APRSISCE
                                for Windows Mobile and
                                Win32

                                On
                                10/30/2013 9:26
                                AM, va3nsc@...
                                wrote:

                                Heres the prob
                                folks, I have
                                a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                                up to work
                                with aprsisce. For some
                                reason it wont
                                stay locked into kiss mode.
                                I have used
                                pacterm to put it into kiss
                                mode as
                                follows..cmd intface it
                                comes up as
                                newuser so I cmd intface
                                kiss then
                                enter,it shows in kiss mode
                                so I cmd
                                reset.  Fire up
                                aprsisce and the tnc
                                works fine,but if I turn the
                                tnc off and
                                back on again,refire the
                                program it will
                                not connect. I check pacterm
                                again and
                                intface is in terminal
                                mode..any ideas
                                on how to keep it locked
                                into kiss mode?
                                Dave

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                                  I would add a few steps between 6 and 7:

                                  With the terminal emulator still open and connected:

                                  6.2.  Turn off the KPC-3
                                  6.3  Wait a bit
                                  6.4  Turn on the KPC-3
                                  6.5  Wait until you see some KISS-type packets coming in.

                                  If you end up in Cmd: mode after 6.4, then you've definitely got TNC issues and APRSISCE/32's <Open/CloseCmd>s are completely uninvolved since you only had the terminal emulator talking to the TNC for the entire sequence.

                                  As was alluded to, KISS packets into a terminal emulator will be a burst of non-readable characters followed by a humanly readable payload (unless the packet was a Mic-E).  If you see fully readable packets, then the TNC isn't in KISS mode.  If you don't see anything, then the TNC isn't receiving or decoding anything.  You should see bursts of non-readables interspersed with readable APRS packet payloads.

                                  Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 9:27 AM

                                  wrote:

                                  Thats how its set Adam,I have some other
                                  tnc&apos;s here I will
                                  try another and see if it does the same thing
                                  with
                                  them...thanks for responding. Dave

                                  ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com,
                                  mailto:kc2ant@... wrote:

                                  Someone else (Jeremy
                                  can&apos;t remember the

                                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: kj4erj@...

                                  Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                                  -0400

                                  aprsisce
                                  problem locking into kiss mode

                                  Put a new battery in your
                                  KPC-3.  It
                                  sounds like it is resetting
                                  to factory
                                  defaults every time you
                                  power it down.

                                  Try setting some other
                                  setting (like
                                  MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                                  bit, turn
                                  it on and see if you MYCALL
                                  has also
                                  disappeared.

                                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                                  of APRSISCE
                                  for Windows Mobile and
                                  Win32

                                  On
                                  10/30/2013 9:26
                                  AM, va3nsc@...
                                  wrote:

                                  Heres the prob
                                  folks, I have
                                  a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                                  up to work
                                  with aprsisce. For some
                                  reason it wont
                                  stay locked into kiss mode.
                                  I have used
                                  pacterm to put it into kiss
                                  mode as
                                  follows..cmd intface it
                                  comes up as
                                  newuser so I cmd intface
                                  kiss then
                                  enter,it shows in kiss mode
                                  so I cmd
                                  reset.  Fire up
                                  aprsisce and the tnc
                                  works fine,but if I turn the
                                  tnc off and
                                  back on again,refire the
                                  program it will
                                  not connect. I check pacterm
                                  again and
                                  intface is in terminal
                                  mode..any ideas
                                  on how to keep it locked
                                  into kiss mode?
                                  Dave

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013

                                    I thought if you set a quiet time other than 0 that APRSIS32 would cycle the port if nothing was received So if a TNC dropped out of KISS after a time it would get sent the open commands again.

                                    If not would it be hard to detect non KISS mode on a KISS port and resend the open commands?

                                    Steve Daniels

                                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                                    From: kj4erj@...

                                    Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                                    -0400

                                    aprsisce
                                    problem locking into kiss mode

                                    Put a new battery in your
                                    KPC-3.  It
                                    sounds like it is resetting
                                    to factory
                                    defaults every time you
                                    power it down.

                                    Try setting some other
                                    setting (like
                                    MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                                    bit, turn
                                    it on and see if you MYCALL
                                    has also
                                    disappeared.

                                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                                    of APRSISCE
                                    for Windows Mobile and
                                    Win32

                                    On
                                    10/30/2013 9:26
                                    AM, va3nsc@...
                                    wrote:

                                    Heres the prob
                                    folks, I have
                                    a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                                    up to work
                                    with aprsisce. For some
                                    reason it wont
                                    stay locked into kiss mode.
                                    I have used
                                    pacterm to put it into kiss
                                    mode as
                                    follows..cmd intface it
                                    comes up as
                                    newuser so I cmd intface
                                    kiss then
                                    enter,it shows in kiss mode
                                    so I cmd
                                    reset.  Fire up
                                    aprsisce and the tnc
                                    works fine,but if I turn the
                                    tnc off and
                                    back on again,refire the
                                    program it will
                                    not connect. I check pacterm
                                    again and
                                    intface is in terminal
                                    mode..any ideas
                                    on how to keep it locked
                                    into kiss mode?
                                    Dave

                                  • Rob Giuliano
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                                      That would depend on a LOT of factors.
                                      Just because "some data is coming in with out the KISS format, may not mean the port needs resetting.
                                         One such event might be if you have GPS data coming over the same port and the format of that data.
                                      Something else all together would be a "slow APRS day".
                                         Although resets due to "true inactivity" probably won't hurt much.
                                      Robert Giuliano
                                      KB8RCO

                                      APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

                                      Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 9:27 AM

                                      wrote:

                                      Thats how its set Adam,I have some other
                                      tnc&apos;s here I will
                                      try another and see if it does the same thing
                                      with
                                      them...thanks for responding. Dave

                                      ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com,
                                      mailto:kc2ant@... wrote:

                                      Someone else (Jeremy
                                      can&apos;t remember the

                                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                                      From: kj4erj@...

                                      Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                                      -0400

                                      aprsisce
                                      problem locking into kiss mode

                                      Put a new battery in your
                                      KPC-3.  It
                                      sounds like it is resetting
                                      to factory
                                      defaults every time you
                                      power it down.

                                      Try setting some other
                                      setting (like
                                      MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                                      bit, turn
                                      it on and see if you MYCALL
                                      has also
                                      disappeared.

                                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                                      of APRSISCE
                                      for Windows Mobile and
                                      Win32

                                      On
                                      10/30/2013 9:26
                                      AM, va3nsc@...
                                      wrote:

                                      Heres the prob
                                      folks, I have
                                      a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                                      up to work
                                      with aprsisce. For some
                                      reason it wont
                                      stay locked into kiss mode.
                                      I have used
                                      pacterm to put it into kiss
                                      mode as
                                      follows..cmd intface it
                                      comes up as
                                      newuser so I cmd intface
                                      kiss then
                                      enter,it shows in kiss mode
                                      so I cmd
                                      reset.  Fire up
                                      aprsisce and the tnc
                                      works fine,but if I turn the
                                      tnc off and
                                      back on again,refire the
                                      program it will
                                      not connect. I check pacterm
                                      again and
                                      intface is in terminal
                                      mode..any ideas
                                      on how to keep it locked
                                      into kiss mode?
                                      Dave

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 30, 2013
                                        You are correct about the Quiet Time behavior, but in some areas of low APRS activity, it's pretty hard to determine a good value.  I use 300 seconds here, but I rarely go a single minute without receiving something on the port.

                                        I had considered attempting to detect a non-KISS mode, but I'm not convinced I could do it reliably.  There's not supposed to be any data outside the <C0>s, but I hesitate to cycle the port disable/enable and associated <Close/OpenCmd>s just because something didn't smell right.

                                        That said, I do have plans to implement a KPC-3+ reset timer feature that will do exactly that (cycle the port) every N hours to recover from the packet delay issue described at

                                        http://blog.aprs.fi/2011/03/kantronics-kpc3-considered-harmful.html

                                        From: kj4erj@...

                                        Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                                        -0400

                                        aprsisce
                                        problem locking into kiss mode

                                        Put a new battery in your
                                        KPC-3.  It
                                        sounds like it is resetting
                                        to factory
                                        defaults every time you
                                        power it down.

                                        Try setting some other
                                        setting (like
                                        MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                                        bit, turn
                                        it on and see if you MYCALL
                                        has also
                                        disappeared.

                                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                                        of APRSISCE
                                        for Windows Mobile and
                                        Win32

                                        On
                                        10/30/2013 9:26
                                        AM, va3nsc@...
                                        wrote:

                                        Heres the prob
                                        folks, I have
                                        a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                                        up to work
                                        with aprsisce. For some
                                        reason it wont
                                        stay locked into kiss mode.
                                        I have used
                                        pacterm to put it into kiss
                                        mode as
                                        follows..cmd intface it
                                        comes up as
                                        newuser so I cmd intface
                                        kiss then
                                        enter,it shows in kiss mode
                                        so I cmd
                                        reset.  Fire up
                                        aprsisce and the tnc
                                        works fine,but if I turn the
                                        tnc off and
                                        back on again,refire the
                                        program it will
                                        not connect. I check pacterm
                                        again and
                                        intface is in terminal
                                        mode..any ideas
                                        on how to keep it locked
                                        into kiss mode?
                                        Dave

                                      • va3nsc

                                          Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 9:27 AM

                                          wrote:

                                          Thats how its set Adam,I have some other
                                          tnc&apos;s here I will
                                          try another and see if it does the same thing
                                          with
                                          them...thanks for responding. Dave

                                          ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com,
                                          mailto:kc2ant@... wrote:

                                          Someone else (Jeremy
                                          can&apos;t remember the

                                          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                                          From: kj4erj@...

                                          Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:00:59
                                          -0400

                                          aprsisce
                                          problem locking into kiss mode

                                          Put a new battery in your
                                          KPC-3.  It
                                          sounds like it is resetting
                                          to factory
                                          defaults every time you
                                          power it down.

                                          Try setting some other
                                          setting (like
                                          MYCALL), turn it off, wait a
                                          bit, turn
                                          it on and see if you MYCALL
                                          has also
                                          disappeared.

                                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author
                                          of APRSISCE
                                          for Windows Mobile and
                                          Win32

                                          On
                                          10/30/2013 9:26
                                          AM, va3nsc@...
                                          wrote:

                                          Heres the prob
                                          folks, I have
                                          a KPC-3 I am trying to set
                                          up to work
                                          with aprsisce. For some
                                          reason it wont
                                          stay locked into kiss mode.
                                          I have used
                                          pacterm to put it into kiss
                                          mode as
                                          follows..cmd intface it
                                          comes up as
                                          newuser so I cmd intface
                                          kiss then
                                          enter,it shows in kiss mode
                                          so I cmd
                                          reset.  Fire up
                                          aprsisce and the tnc
                                          works fine,but if I turn the
                                          tnc off and
                                          back on again,refire the
                                          program it will
                                          not connect. I check pacterm
                                          again and
                                          intface is in terminal
                                          mode..any ideas
                                          on how to keep it locked
                                          into kiss mode?
                                          Dave

                                        • va3nsc

                                            Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 9:27 AM

                                            wrote:

                                            Thats how its set Adam,I have some other
                                            tnc&apos;s here I will
                                            try another and see if it does the same thing
                                            with
                                            them...thanks for responding. Dave

                                            ---In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com,
                                            mailto:kc2ant@... wrote: