What did I break? Dev

  • Greg Depew
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 27, 2013
      Ok I can't figure out what I did, but I changed one of my instances to the dev version and deleted a few of my status comments in the xml with the program closed and now after bringing the program up I have the first beacon as suspended with the menu option, after I pick my first beacon I can't change my position. I can center on a different station and when I hit tx it doesn't ask me if I would like to move to center. And the option to move me here in the right click menu is greyed out. What did I break?? And can I get it back without a complete delete of the xml? Thanks
      Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 27, 2013
        You will only be asked about moving ME if you're zoomed in really close.

        As for the no beacon at start up, I suspect you have Configure / Beacon / After Transmit checked.  From http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-beacon

        After Transmit - In a semi-mobile (not fixed) GPS-less installation, it may be desirable to not transmit a position beacon on initial startup until the last known position can be confirmed and possibly corrected. If this option is checked, APRSISCE/32 will not transmit a position beacon until the Transmit menu option has been manually activated. Given that the Transmit option allows the user to move "ME" to the center of the screen, this allows the actual current position to be verified and/or changed before any position beacons are sent.

        On 10/27/2013 8:21 PM, Greg Depew wrote:
        Ok I can't figure out what I did, but I changed one of my instances to the dev version and deleted a few of my status comments in the xml with the program closed and now after bringing the program up I have the first beacon as suspended with the menu option, after I pick my first beacon I can't change my position. I can center on a different station and when I hit tx it doesn't ask me if I would like to move to center. And the option to move me here in the right click menu is greyed out. What did I break?? And can I get it back without a complete delete of the xml? Thanks
        Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
            aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Greg Depew
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 27, 2013
          I confirm I have beacon after transmit checked on purpose, however after I make my first beacon I can no longer change my position neither with drag and tx or right click move me here.

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 27, 2013
            Try zooming in a lot further or disable the GPS if you have it enabled.

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 27, 2013
              Ok that got it. I have to be zoom 14 or higher. I think it is different in the current release that you don't have to be zoomed in so far and I was used to that.

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 28, 2013
                Ok now here's a feature request. How about the zoom number somewhere in the area of the not all message so that you know you're zoomed far enough?

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                  I always thought a zoom number would be useful.

                  Best regards,
                  Fred N7FMH

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                    Double-click empty map space. The zoom number in on the first line in
                    addition to being buried somewhere in the tile file name.

                    [MyOSM] z:4 x:1-5 y:5-7
                    x:3 y:6 Tile is due to be rendered. Last rendered at Fri Dec 31 18:00:00
                    1999
                    D:/OSMTiles/MyOSM/04/3/6.png
                    Create:2012-10-21T23:12:06.433
                    Write:2012-10-21T23:12:06.433
                    Access:2012-10-21T23:12:06.433

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                      From the release notes:

                      Added zoom number in center of slider (breaks if/when I do fractional
                      zooms). (Greg KB3KBR, Fred N7FMH)

                      The zoom number turns green (it might be hard to read) when you're
                      zoomed in close enough to "Move ME". (Greg KB3KBR)

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                        Standardized subject for (Dev: ...)

                        From the release notes:

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                          I do that but ...

                          Best regards,
                          Fred N7FMH

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                            Thanks for the new feature!!!

                            Best regards,
                            Fred N7FMH

                            Double-click empty map space. The zoom number in on the first line in
                            addition to being buried somewhere in the tile file name.

                            [MyOSM] z:4 x:1-5 y:5-7
                            x:3 y:6 Tile is due to be rendered. Last rendered at Fri Dec 31 18:00:00
                            1999
                            D:/OSMTiles/MyOSM/04/3/6.png
                            Create:2012-10-21T23:12:06.433
                            Write:2012-10-21T23:12:06.433
                            Access:2012-10-21T23:12:06.433

                            On 10/29/2013 2:12 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                            > I always thought a zoom number would be useful.
                            >
                            > Best regards,
                            > Fred N7FMH

                          • Greg Depew
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                              Yes thank you!!

                              Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                                Lynn,

                                I just sent you a message on HF and your station sent about 8 ACKS back
                                in one transmission.

                                Denis
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 30, 2013
                                  On 10/29/2013 5:53 PM, Denis wrote:
                                  I just sent you a message on HF and your station sent about 8 ACKS back
                                  in one transmission.

                                  Yes, and thanks for bringing that to my attention.  My KJ4ERJ-2 instance is an interesting test platform for 30m HF APRS.  Here's the deal...

                                  The APRS spec says that clients should send an ack for each copy of a message that is received.  There is no specification for duplicates, and in fact, when you think about it, just because a client has already acked a given message doesn't mean that the sender received the ack, so if the message is received again, even though it is already known, it's likely a retry and therefore a new ack should be sent to satisfy the originator.

                                  The spec (somewhere) further recommends that a double-ack be fired on message reception on RF.   This "improves" the chances that the ack is received by the sending station.

                                  APRSISCE/32 is coded to do all of the above.  Acks are triggered for every reception of a message, regardless if it was received and acked before, and a second ck is fired on RF ports (RF-Only on the second one).

                                  Enter KJ4ERJ-2, my 30m HF APRS test instance.  I have it configured with the following ports.

                                  DireWolf - via TCP/IP and an AGW-type port
                                  DireWolf KISS - via TCP/IP and a KISS-type port
                                  UZ7HO's SoundModem which is running both channels offset +/- 25hz (1675 and 1725 configured)

                                  Both DireWolf and UZ7HO are talking to the same "SoundCard" which is actually a SignaLink USB connected to a single iCom 706 tuned to 10.147.60 USB.

                                  So for every packet received, KJ4ERJ-2 receives up to FOUR copies of it, provided that it was decoded by both DireWolf and both channels of UZ7HO.  Some packets are slightly off frequency and are only decoded by one channel of UZ7HO, so I only get three copies of those packets.  And others, for various reasons that I'm still observing, are only decoded by DireWolf or only by UZ7HO, one or both ports.

                                  But back to the point of this posting...  Couple receiving four copies of an incoming message with the double-ack and put it all in a near instantaneous time frame and you have 8 acks being transmitted in a single burst.  These are all sent via the first (25hz low) channel of UZ7HO since I have both DireWolf ports Receive-Only because I don't have any COMM ports to hand it for PTT and I haven't seen how to configure DireWolf for VOX which is what the SignaLink USB looks like.  UZ7HO handles transmitting through the SignaLink with aplomb.

                                  So, to "fix" this non-bug (since it is WAD - Working As Designed and only occurs on multiple ports on a single frequency) redundancy requires the following:

                                  1) Send acks only on the port from which a message was received along with APRS-IS (if messaging is enabled).  This requires that APRSISCE/32 internally track the reception port.  Acks are currently issued after all incoming has merged into a single packet flow and they no longer "know" which port they came from, only if it was RF or -IS.  Also, APRSISCE/32 doesn't currently have the internal ability to target outbound packets (like acks) to a specific RF port.  It can do -IS vs RF, but not target a specific RF port.  This is all due to my naivity when implementing RF ports, I never imagined multiple ports into a single APRSISCE/32 instance and still recommend against it for most installations, hence this poll http://tinyurl.com/l82p273 (see below).

                                  2) Support individual configuration and enable flags for multi-port devices like stereo SignalLinks.  Without this, acks are not able to go out the "second" port of a SignaLink.

                                  I've got this all in mind, but am currently trying to stabilize APRSISCE/32 development loose ends so that I can release a new stable, general release.  Once that gets out the door, I can rip into the internals to try to do some of this stuff.

                                  But I was truly amazed last night at how smoothly the QSO flowed with HF/RF only!  (See http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=KJ4ERJ-2 from 10/29 17:49 through 23:18)  Thanks for that opportunity., outside of when my radio locked in transmit for more seconds that I was expecting due to the ack burst(s)!  You should have seen my mouse ripping around the screen trying to figure out what locked up.  My finger was actually on the 706's power switch when PTT finally released on its own.  I just got the radio back from repair (blown finals, SWR-sensing diodes, and the stupid pad corrosion causing it to not power up (http://www.n1eq.com/tech/page_03.html)), so I really didn't want to do something stupid within the first week of operation!

                                  Most RF installations (hopefully) aren't running multiple ports to a single radio, so they won't suffer from the packet multiplication effect on message reception.  Now that I'm aware of the "feature", I'll try to remember to disable the DireWolf ports to reduce the duplications when in a QSO.  I normally keep them all enabled to compare the decode capabilities of the various soundcard soft TNCs.

                                  Lynn (D) - K4JERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                  PS.  On 2m RF-only, you'll see similar behavior if your station receives an incoming message and shortly thereafter a digipeated copy of the message.  Double-acks will be sent for each reception, but 1200 baud is so much faster than 300 baud that the behavior has not been noticed, or at least, not reported.

                                  PPS.  The Poll mentioned above (http://tinyurl.com/l82p273) was:

                                  How many concurrently active RF ports do you use per APRSISCE/32 instance?
                                  ldeffenb

                                  55 Votes

                                  August 3, 2012

                                  Never end
                                  Zero. I use APRSISCE/32 on the APRS-IS only.
                                  11% (6)
                                  One. I only have one radio/TNC/interface.
                                  55% (30)
                                  One. I run separate instances for each radio/TNC/interface/frequency.
                                  24% (13)
                                  Two or more, and I'm anxious for cross-port repeating too!
                                  11% (6)
                                  RF? APRS does RF? I thought it was Internet based.
                                  0% (0)
                                  Other - Details sent to the group.
                                  0% (0

                                • Bob Burns W9BU
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 30, 2013
                                    At 03:19 PM 10/29/2013, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                                    >The zoom number turns green (it might be hard to read) when you're
                                    >zoomed in close enough to "Move ME". (Greg KB3KBR)

                                    Thanks, Lynn. That would have saved me some concern a few months ago.
                                    I knew I was doing something wrong, but couldn't deduce what it was.

                                    Bob...
                                  • n5dtx
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 30, 2013

                                      Very interesting Lynn, all kinds of great experiments come to mind with your post.  I am currently running my 30m HF instance with two separate antennas that feed two instances of UZ7HO Soundmodem into APRSIS32.   The original antenna looks north/south, and in July I added the second antenna that looks east/west.

                                      You Florida and California guys were rarely ever read here before I added the second antenna, but I had plenty of Canada and Central America/Mexico.  With the addition of the second antenna, I now read the east/west coasts regularly and I have even received several hits from France, Germany, Spain, and a few folks sailing in the Atlantic.

                                      I have some inherent latencies somewhere in my setup that I have not been able to overcome.  I read RF direct approximately 10 to 20 times more HF stations than I ever gate to APRSIS. I don't really see it as a problem as those stations get gated elsewhere, but I tend to be the gate of last resort if they are not heard anywhere else.  As of this writing, APRS.FI is showing that I have gated KJ4ERJ-2 five times this month, but you are in my rf direct log well over 100 times since you brought your 30m station back online.

                                      I have always configured my APRSIS32 paths to stay on permanently to visualize the traffic and it has been a real kick to see the additional east/west traffic since adding the second antenna July.

                                      Graham

                                      N5DTX