Path lines

  • Greg Depew
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
      Lynn and group, I have a question about path lines. Right now the balloon ATHER4-1 is up and is being copied directly by my rx only igate KB3KBR-5, but both the path lines in my full feed -15 do not show in either the multi tracks of the balloon or my igate nor in the main window. I have the times set to all and everything but rf only checked. Am I missing something? Thanks.
      Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
        Why do you have three IGates running against (I suspect) a single agw instance?  That's got to muddy the waters, especially since you didn't say which station you're trying to look a the paths on.

        Is what I see from here.  What Times option do you have selected?  The shot above is with Times of Long or 30 minutes.

        On 10/16/2013 6:59 PM, Greg Depew wrote:
        Lynn and group, I have a question about path lines. Right now the balloon ATHER4-1 is up and is being copied directly by my rx only igate KB3KBR-5, but both the path lines in my full feed -15 do not show in either the multi tracks of the balloon or my igate nor in the main window. I have the times set to all and everything but rf only checked. Am I missing something? Thanks.
        Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
            aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
          And if I change it to the following settings, I get this:

          PS.  I put a !KB3KBR! comment on each of your stations' nicknames so that I could get the balloon and all of your stations visible.  The other stations are shown because they were heard direct or first by one of  your IGates.
        • Greg Depew
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
          • Greg Depew
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 17, 2013
              -1 and 15 are on the same computer, and all 3 share the same radio. I'm in an rf hole so I can't really hear anything. The path lines in question are from looking at -15 mutitracking -5 which at this time is a rx only igate at my dads. I confirmed by ?dx and ?aprsh that it was indeed hearing the balloon. -15 was not showing the path lines between -5 and the balloon.
              Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 17, 2013
                Ah, NOW I think I get what was going on. Let's see if I have this right:

                -5 was receiving the balloon directly via RF and gating to the APRS-IS

                -15 was also receiving the balloon on the same radio (thanks to AGW),
                but was also receiving an APRS-IS feed

                -15 didn't show any paths between the balloon and -5. This is to be
                expected as -15 only knows what -5 is receiving via the APRS-IS. And if
                -5 wasn't the first station to gate any of the packets, then no paths
                would show.

                If you want -15 to show RF paths for -5 without the APRS-IS dupe filter
                messing you up, then you need to set up a Local Server port on -5 and
                connect to it from -15. That way -15 will see everything that -5 sees
                from RF with the appropriate ,qAR construct because the Local Server
                function in APRSISCE/32 doesn't do any dupe filtering.

                Since -15 is connected to the same radio as -5, it'd be far easier just
                to look at the paths from the balloon to the local -15 since they'll
                reflect the same paths as seen by -5 on its own local screen.

                This is yet another instance where you cannot use the APRS-IS to
                evaluate what's happening in the RF world.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 17, 2013
                  No -5 is a separate igate about 10 mi away from 1 and 15 running XP. 1 and 15 are on the same computer running win7. 13 is on my win8 machine. 1, 15, and 13 all connect to the same agw on the win7 machine. 5 was receiving directly and was first a couple of times to get it to the IS as per APRS.FI. 1,15 and 13 only heard it direct a few times and only 13 gated it. And the paths of both the balloon and 5 did not show between the two.
                  Hope that clears things abit.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 17, 2013
                    Another interesting feature of the APRS-IS is that not all connected
                    clients will see the same packet if it is gated from multiple points
                    near simultaneously. This is due to the distributed nature of the
                    APRS-IS dupe filter and the way packets are propagated through the
                    network. So, even if aprs.fi showed a few packets gated by -5, that
                    doesn't mean that -15 would have seen the same gate information on the
                    same packet. This is especially true of HABs as they are concurrently
                    hitting numerous IGates with every single packet. About the only time
                    you see a digipeated HAB packet on the APRS-IS is when the packet lives
                    long enough to be delivered 30 seconds later than the first copy of the
                    packet. This is exacerbated by KPC-3+ IGates running in KISS mode.

                    If you have a chance to do this again, do a Control-G on -15 and enter a
                    filter of e/KB3KBR-5. The resulting filter test window will show all
                    packets that end with qAR,KB3KBR-5 delivered via the APRS-IS each of
                    which should be reflected in the APRSISCE/32 path display provided
                    you've got those settings all done correctly.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 17, 2013
                      Ok. I will do that! Now all I need is another balloon! I wonder if I do a control-g and enter a e/(balloon callsign) if that will show every path line as well?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 17, 2013
                        e/ is the entry filter and selects packets based on their point of entry
                        to the APRS-IS.

                        If you want to get all packets for the balloon, you'd use b/<balloon-SSID>.

                        But the Control-G doesn't affect the path lines, it only shows you the
                        packets being received by the instance within which you do it. And it
                        doesn't circumvent the APRS-IS dupe filter either. It's just a way to
                        show whether or not your -15 instance is receiving any packets gated by
                        -5 to know whether or not path lines should appear.

                        And the Control-G doesn't extend your APRS-IS filter, but further
                        filters the feed into the Filter Test trace log. If the balloon is
                        outside your range and isn't forced by any other filter term, then you
                        won't get the packets and won't see the packets.

                        Because HABs can be pretty far away, you might want to add e/KB3KBR-5 to
                        -15's Configure / General / Add Filter to ensure that you get all
                        packets gated by -5 from the APRS-IS. This will pass the packets (but
                        only those first gated by -5) to you regardless of whether or not they
                        match any of your other filters.

                        You know, remote access to the machine on which -5 is running is still a
                        whole lot more reliable for seeing all of the paths for packets received
                        by that instance!