Dim function for scroller as well

  • thunder175@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
      The dim function is great for night ops on my touchscreen Toughbook inside my truck, however the scroller on and other boxes are still white despite the subdued map in DIM mode. Any chance we can invert the colors of the scroller and other info boxes to a black background with white/colored text while in DIM mode?

      And can we also get a hot button to quickly go back and forth instead of point clicking in the menus?

      Tom
      KD2AVG
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
        On 10/14/2013 9:19 PM, thunder175@... wrote:
        > The dim function is great for night ops on my touchscreen Toughbook inside my truck, however the scroller on and other boxes are still white despite the subdued map in DIM mode. Any chance we can invert the colors of the scroller and other info boxes to a black background with white/colored text while in DIM mode?

        Dim only works by putting a black background behind a semi-transparent
        map. If you crank up the map opacity to 100%, you'll find it's still as
        bright as ever. For that reason, there's no "dim" for the non-map-based
        screen elements because they are fully opaque. They do, however, honor
        the Windows-configured Window Background color, so if you set up a
        custom color scheme, you can control some of those elements.

        > And can we also get a hot button to quickly go back and forth instead of point clicking in the menus?

        What's a "hot button"? Is it like anything that's already in
        APRSISCE/32 or something completely new?

      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
          I've mentioned that in the past.

          As a work around I've opened up a multitrack window, and followed "Me" with that. There's less white clutter, but you loose Speed,Scroller and Message notification.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
            I correlated that to "hot key" like "M" for me, or "P" for preferred.

            Adam
            KC2ANT

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
            From: kj4erj@...
            Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 21:29:38 -0400
            Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Dim function for scroller as well

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
              Hmmm... there should be no reason why I have to change my entire Windows scheme to support what should be a simple inversion of colors on existing boxes in the software.

              And a hot button is another term for a simple graphical button to push to quickly do a feature, in this case toggle back and forth between dim and bright modes rather than go thru the top bar menus. This would be great for touchscreen users.

              Tom
              KD2AVG

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

              > I've mentioned that in the past.
              > As a work around I've opened up a multitrack window, and followed "Me" with that. There's less white clutter, but you loose Speed,Scroller and Message notification.
              > AdamKC2ANT
              >
              > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
              > From: thunder175@...
              > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:19:50 +0000
              > Subject: [aprsisce] Dim function for scroller as well

              > The dim function is great for night ops on my touchscreen Toughbook inside my truck, however the scroller on and other boxes are still white despite the subdued map in DIM mode. Any chance we can invert the colors of the scroller and other info boxes to a black background with white/colored text while in DIM mode?
              >

              > And can we also get a hot button to quickly go back and forth instead of point clicking in the menus?
              >

              > Tom
              >
              > KD2AVG

            • Adam Mahnke
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                Have you looked at the APRSISDR thread?

                It's an android option, but as I understand it, it can be run through another program, bluestacks is sticking in my mind, that will give you all the phone/tablet features on a netbook.

                Or perhaps Lynn knows of a way for the CE version to run on a full windows platform? Sounds like it's more in line with what you're looking for.

                Adam
                KC2ANT

                PS Simple for us, can be nightmarish for programers

                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                From: thunder175@...
                Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:36:20 +0000
                Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Dim function for scroller as well

              • thunder175@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                  No I haven't checked that out. I do not wish to use an emulation program since I don't run an under powered Netbook. I run a CF-19 Toughbook in a Ram Toughdock in my truck all permanently mounted and hardwired to my radio stack and TNC.

                  Tom
                  KD2AVG

                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                  > Have you looked at the APRSISDR thread?
                  > It's an android option, but as I understand it, it can be run through another program, bluestacks is sticking in my mind, that will give you all the phone/tablet features on a netbook.
                  > Or perhaps Lynn knows of a way for the CE version to run on a full windows platform? Sounds like it's more in line with what you're looking for.
                  > AdamKC2ANT
                  > PS Simple for us, can be nightmarish for programers
                  >
                  > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: thunder175@...
                  > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:36:20 +0000
                  > Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Dim function for scroller as well

                  > Hmmm... there should be no reason why I have to change my entire Windows scheme to support what should be a simple inversion of colors on existing boxes in the software.
                  >

                  > And a hot button is another term for a simple graphical button to push to quickly do a feature, in this case toggle back and forth between dim and bright modes rather than go thru the top bar menus. This would be great for touchscreen users.
                  >

                  > Tom
                  >
                  > KD2AVG
                  >

                  > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@> wrote:
                  >

                  > > I've mentioned that in the past.
                  >
                  > > As a work around I've opened up a multitrack window, and followed "Me" with that. There's less white clutter, but you loose Speed,Scroller and Message notification.
                  >
                  > > AdamKC2ANT
                  >

                  > > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > > From: thunder175@
                  >
                  > > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:19:50 +0000
                  >
                  > > Subject: [aprsisce] Dim function for scroller as well

                  > > The dim function is great for night ops on my touchscreen Toughbook inside my truck, however the scroller on and other boxes are still white despite the subdued map in DIM mode. Any chance we can invert the colors of the scroller and other info boxes to a black background with white/colored text while in DIM mode?
                  >

                  > > And can we also get a hot button to quickly go back and forth instead of point clicking in the menus?
                  >

                  > > Tom
                  >

                  > > KD2AVG

                • Adam Mahnke
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                    Fair enough, was just throwing out options.

                    Wow, wasn't expecting to see a 2 call in San Diego. Warmer than 2 land right now.

                    Adam
                    KC2ANT

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                    From: thunder175@...
                    Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:42:30 +0000

                  • thunder175@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                      A lot warmer indeed! Job keeps me moving pretty regularly, but I originally got my license in upstate New York.

                      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                      > Fair enough, was just throwing out options.
                      > Wow, wasn't expecting to see a 2 call in San Diego. Warmer than 2 land right now.
                      > AdamKC2ANT
                      >
                      > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: thunder175@...
                      > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:42:30 +0000
                      > Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Dim function for scroller as well

                      > No I haven't checked that out. I do not wish to use an emulation program since I don't run an under powered Netbook. I run a CF-19 Toughbook in a Ram Toughdock in my truck all permanently mounted and hardwired to my radio stack and TNC.
                      >

                      > Tom
                      >
                      > KD2AVG
                      >

                      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Have you looked at the APRSISDR thread?
                      >
                      > > It's an android option, but as I understand it, it can be run through another program, bluestacks is sticking in my mind, that will give you all the phone/tablet features on a netbook.
                      >
                      > > Or perhaps Lynn knows of a way for the CE version to run on a full windows platform? Sounds like it's more in line with what you're looking for.
                      >
                      > > AdamKC2ANT
                      >
                      > > PS Simple for us, can be nightmarish for programers
                      >

                      > > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > > From: thunder175@
                      >
                      > > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:36:20 +0000
                      >
                      > > Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Dim function for scroller as well

                      > > Hmmm... there should be no reason why I have to change my entire Windows scheme to support what should be a simple inversion of colors on existing boxes in the software.
                      >

                      > > And a hot button is another term for a simple graphical button to push to quickly do a feature, in this case toggle back and forth between dim and bright modes rather than go thru the top bar menus. This would be great for touchscreen users.
                      >

                      > > Tom
                      >

                      > > KD2AVG
                      >

                      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > > I've mentioned that in the past.
                      >

                      > > > As a work around I've opened up a multitrack window, and followed "Me" with that. There's less white clutter, but you loose Speed,Scroller and Message notification.
                      >

                      > > > AdamKC2ANT
                      >

                      > > > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                      >

                      > > > From: thunder175@
                      >

                      > > > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:19:50 +0000
                      >

                      > > > Subject: [aprsisce] Dim function for scroller as well

                      > > > The dim function is great for night ops on my touchscreen Toughbook inside my truck, however the scroller on and other boxes are still white despite the subdued map in DIM mode. Any chance we can invert the colors of the scroller and other info boxes to a black background with white/colored text while in DIM mode?

                      > > > And can we also get a hot button to quickly go back and forth instead of point clicking in the menus?

                      > > > Tom
                      >

                      > > > KD2AVG

                    • Adam Mahnke
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 14, 2013
                        Fair enough. I actually got my ticket while I was at 29 Palms on active duty, but my home of record was NY so I got a 2 call.  You've got me looking around my stomping grounds while I was living in Riverside area and commuting to Long Beach. So glad I'm not doing that any more.

                        Adam

                        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                        From: thunder175@...
                        Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 01:54:54 +0000

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                          On 10/14/2013 9:36 PM, thunder175@... wrote:
                          Hmmm... there should be no reason why I have to change my entire Windows scheme to support what should be a simple inversion of colors on existing boxes in the software.

                          Well, I could say that "there should be no reason why I have to change APRSISCE/32 to support what can be done via another mechanism", but that doesn't really get us anywhere, does it?  Even though the justification is that if you're using Windows in a dim environment, just dimming down APRSISCE/32 isn't doing you any good if you happen to minimize the application to do something in Windows proper, so you really should be using a dimmer Windows theme to get the effect in other applications as well, but then, you're likely only running APRSISCE/32 at night because you find it so useful.

                          And "simple inversion" isn't really what you want, even thought that's what your words say.  You'd very quickly realize that a bright white speed number on a jet-black background looks really really bad at night (and even during the day).  And the packet scroller already uses reversed colors, background color, and text color to indicate things (see http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scroller), so I'm not going to open a support can-of-worms by saying "you're scroller may be backwards if you're running a Dim map".

                          What I hear your true request to be is to dim down the other screen elements when the map is running in Screen / Brightness / Dim so that the glare will be less jarring.  And your idea of reversing the video was one approach to do so that I already know won't work.  As to simple, consider the following:

                          1) I need to work out a colorizing approach that will actually dim the brightness without changing the information content.  I'm considering an RGB to HSV or HSL color space conversion (http://tinyurl.com/mxgmb9k), cut the brightness/lightness value in half, and convert back to RGB for use in Win32.  But I've got no experience there and have to do some experimentation.

                          2) Once I have a technique iteratively worked out and am satisfied with it, I need to roll it into the screen elements.  You mentioned the scroller and "other info boxes", but you've not addressed the total issue.  There's quite a few subtleties on the display that you probably haven't noticed, but certainly would see if I took your simple "white (which is too bright) text on a black background" approach.  Consider the three tiny color bars at the bottom of the "APRS-IS OK" pane or the red/green bars of the zoom slider and to the right of the map and even the auto-answer activity timer that puts a bar at the bottom of the message pane.  If I didn't come up with a way to dim an arbitrary color, these would be glaring at you out of the dim screen and it would be worse than it is now.

                          3) And "other info boxes" may be more than you know.  I doubt if there's any user out there that keeps all of the screen elements turned on, but there's a bunch of them ().  I have to apply whatever I come up with to each of them in turn.  Nothing in the Win32 API "draws itself" without source code to back it up.  Yes, there are some frameworks that provide themes to do things in common, but inevitably applications using these frameworks are (IMHO) bloated and performance ineffective.  If I took that approach, I'd be fighting performance issues far more than I do now.

                          4) And the biggest hurdle I see in the realm of dimming the non-map (read: non-semi-transparent) portions of the APRSISCE/32 screen are the symbols themselves, even those on the map proper.  APRSISCE/32 considers the stations to be the primary reason for existing and they are always (well, not when aging out) drawn at full color.  If I manage to dim down the rest of the screen, you'll have this bar of symbols on the scroller and sprinkles all over the map winking at you like the brightest start in the sky.  Glaring and garish come to mind.

                          5) Oh, and I just remembered the other map components that already use varying opacity settings like Overlays (GPX and POS), Weather alert areas (critical and shape-file based), RDF objects (cones and circles) and PHG circles.  And add in the red boxes around stations with frequency specification issues (and Bob's highlights in the future http://www.aprs.org/symbols.html).  Oh wait, there's also track lines, altitude-driven footprint circles, and ambiguity indicator (purple box/circle).  Once everything else is dim these also need to be addressed.

                          As I mentioned before, the map dim feature was requested a long time ago (BTW, did you know you can get sunrise/set times in ME's station info popup?), and has been percolating since then.  I discovered a way to dim a semi-transparent map by accident while working on my Android port (Android defaults to black background whereas Windows in the default theme defaults to white and I spent a few hours trying to figure out why my 50% map looked different on the two platforms).  So the map dimming was as "easy" as you imply the remainder "should" be.  But I haven't yet received any divine inspiration on how to do everything listed above "easily".  I'm still waiting for it.

                          As Adam so correctly put it: "Simple for us, can be nightmarish for programers"

                          And a hot button is another term for a simple graphical button to push to quickly do a feature, in this case toggle back and forth between dim and bright modes rather than go thru the top bar menus. This would be great for touchscreen users.

                          This is what I thought you meant, but didn't want to leap to any premature conclusions.  James likes to rant (in a good way) about my "non-standard interfaces" and here we have a user asking for an on-screen button like automotive GPSs provide.  I appreciate your request, and in fact, it's already implemented that way in the Android port, but then, MOAI/Android makes it easier and Win32 doesn't.  Buttons on top of displays, unless they're dialogs already, is a non-standard interface.  And I'm very stingy with my screen-estate, remembering the CE part of APRSISCE/32 which targets (successfully, IMHO) 320x240 screens.  I really resist putting more things covering the map.

                          Eventually there may be a way to bring up a set of menu-type buttons for quick access to selected functions (no James, they probably won't be user-selectable, at least not in the first incarnation), but that's some time further down the pike.  But who knows, if I ever resolve a suitable car mount for my WebDT 366, it could come sooner than later!  (Vote the new poll: http://tinyurl.com/l238gpp)

                          And I'll give you a bit of homework.  If/when I get around to a button overlay on the map, how would you propose triggering it to appear and disappear?  Requirement: it cannot change any touch/tap/mouse actions that already perform some other function so as to retain backward compatibility (which James's double-click to zoom violates).

                          PS.  Here's a sneak peek at the button menu overlay on APRSISMO (which will eventually get a new name):

                          Notice how ugly it is without label overlap avoidance?   And yes, this is a screen capture from Windows.  APRSISMO is a multi-platform port, but will not supplant APRSISCE/32 due to severe performance limitations.  Why you might ask?  The hidden cost of cross-platform frameworks and interpreted language development environments (MOAI/lua).

                          Oh, and notice the lack of a menu bar.  That's not an Android way of doing things.  I still haven't figured out how to get the richness of the APRSISCE/32 functionality without the convenience of drop-down cascading menus and the accuracy of a mouse-based (as opposed to fat finger) pointing device.  A click target pretty much needs to be at least 1/4" square to be semi-reliably touchable.  Forget clicking a "point" on the map with any degree of precision!  Ug.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                            (Added missing URL in point # 3)

                            3) And "other info boxes" may be more than you know.  I doubt if there's any user out there that keeps all of the screen elements turned on, but there's a bunch of them (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:screen-elements).  I have to apply whatever I come up with to each of them in turn.  Nothing in the Win32 API "draws itself" without source code to back it up.  Yes, there are some frameworks that provide themes to do things in common, but inevitably applications using these frameworks are (IMHO) bloated and performance ineffective.  If I took that approach, I'd be fighting performance issues far more than I do now.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                              On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                              <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                              > And a hot button is another term for a simple graphical button to push
                              > to quickly do a feature, in this case toggle back and forth between dim
                              > and bright modes rather than go thru the top bar menus. This would be
                              > great for touchscreen users.
                              >
                              > This is what I thought you meant, but didn't want to leap to any premature
                              > conclusions. James likes to rant (in a good way) about my "non-standard
                              > interfaces" and here we have a user asking for an on-screen button like
                              > automotive GPSs provide. Buttons on top of displays, unless they're dialogs
                              > already, is a non-standard interface. And I'm very stingy with my screen-estate,

                              So tell me what term you use to describe these various "things":

                              If I double click on the message notifier box, a messaging window opens.
                              If I double click on the GPS box, I get asked if I want to disable the GPS.
                              If I double click on the time/date box, I get a CPU Trace log.
                              If I double click on the lat/long box, I get an objects dialog.
                              If I double click on the HDOP box, I get a HDOP dialog.
                              If I double click on the range box, strange things happen!
                              If I double click on the connection status box, a port status box opens up.

                              So there already are spots on the screen that you can click on, and
                              have actions happen.

                              They may not be what you consider to be buttons, but when I can click
                              on something and have an action take place, I consider it a button...

                              For me, there's some screen real estate that is not being used
                              efficiently. I could see the connection status box being more
                              efficient. Rather that using verbose text, I would create smaller
                              icons or boxes to identify each connection. Xastir and SARTrack use a
                              similar approach. There are a number of boxes for things like APRS-IS
                              connection, TNC connection, etc, with background colours that denote
                              status. Red is down, green is active, and yellow is unknown, or
                              actively being configured. (Of course Lynn would make red up, and
                              green down...) I would then make each of those areas into a button to
                              enable/disable the port by clicking on it. Double clicking would bring
                              up the configuration dialog box.

                              > And I'll give you a bit of homework. If/when I get around to a button overlay
                              > on the map, how would you propose triggering it to appear and disappear?

                              Just like you do right now. I can make the
                              labels/battery/altitude/lat/long/crosshairs/red dot/speed/etc appear
                              and disappear by going to CONFIGURE|SCREEN and selecting the desired
                              information, and then enabling or disabling the appropriate
                              information display.

                              > Requirement: it cannot change any touch/tap/mouse actions that already
                              > perform some other function so as to retain backward compatibility
                              > (which James's double-click to zoom violates).

                              So what, we have to live with your bad choice of making a double click
                              on the map open a diagnostics window forever???
                              (Yeah, I'm being nasty here, but all in good fun!)

                              Hopefully some of this gets past the "It's all crap!" filter! :)

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                                Hi Tom,

                                On our two laptops and on my tablet, there is a screen brightness control. I found they work pretty well. the entire screen dims.
                                The laptops use the ALT and a function key. The tablet has a couple of applications that control the brightness.

                                Best regards,
                                Fred N7FMH

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                                  On 10/15/2013 2:26 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                                  > So tell me what term you use to describe these various "things":
                                  >
                                  > If I double click on the message notifier box, a messaging window opens.
                                  > If I double click on the GPS box, I get asked if I want to disable the GPS.
                                  > If I double click on the time/date box, I get a CPU Trace log.
                                  > If I double click on the lat/long box, I get an objects dialog.
                                  > If I double click on the HDOP box, I get a HDOP dialog.
                                  > If I double click on the range box, strange things happen!
                                  > If I double click on the connection status box, a port status box opens up.
                                  >
                                  > So there already are spots on the screen that you can click on, and
                                  > have actions happen.

                                  Everything you list above brings an action that is associated with what
                                  you double-clicked. And double clicking empty map space brings up map
                                  status. I don't see the inconsistency. (But I DO get your point).

                                  > If I double click on the range box, strange things happen!

                                  Double-clicking the range box alternates between restoring your
                                  Preferred view and centering on ME. I don't think that's particularly
                                  strange.

                                  >> And I'll give you a bit of homework. If/when I get around to a button overlay
                                  >> on the map, how would you propose triggering it to appear and disappear?
                                  > Just like you do right now. I can make the
                                  > labels/battery/altitude/lat/long/crosshairs/red dot/speed/etc appear
                                  > and disappear by going to CONFIGURE|SCREEN and selecting the desired
                                  > information, and then enabling or disabling the appropriate
                                  > information display.

                                  I should have said appear and disappear DYNAMICALLY so as to not waste
                                  the screen estate to a single function button. You'll note that all of
                                  the other clickable areas (the word "button" means something very
                                  specific to GUI programmers) normally convey useful information in
                                  addition to providing more when they are clicked (sometimes) and
                                  double-clicked (most often).

                                  PS. Oh, and you missed double-clicking on the zoom indicator in the
                                  middle white-space between the + on top and the - on the bottom. At an
                                  event I recently attended, the APRSISCE/32 operators didn't know that
                                  would directly zoom to that point of the indicator without having to go
                                  through the intervening levels.

                                  PPS. I had to go double-check what objects you were getting from the
                                  lat/lon box double-click. Those are internal windows object counts that
                                  I use to ensure that I'm not leaking any resources. That and the
                                  date/time double-click are truly only diagnostics, but I couldn't think
                                  of anything more generally useful to hook in there.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                                    On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                    <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                                    >> So there already are spots on the screen that you can click on, and
                                    >> have actions happen.
                                    >
                                    > Everything you list above brings an action that is associated with what
                                    > you double-clicked. And double clicking empty map space brings up map
                                    > status. I don't see the inconsistency. (But I DO get your point).

                                    So what do you call those spots? Enquiring minds want to know.

                                    >> If I double click on the range box, strange things happen!
                                    >
                                    > Double-clicking the range box alternates between restoring your
                                    > Preferred view and centering on ME. I don't think that's particularly
                                    > strange.

                                    Ah, that might have been what it was doing... I was panned away into
                                    BC, and when I clicked, I ended up zoomed in back near my house. When
                                    I clicked again, the view shifted a little bit, but not much.
                                    Subsequent clicks just kept the map bouncing back and forth between
                                    two spots less than a mile apart.

                                    > I should have said appear and disappear DYNAMICALLY so as to not waste
                                    > the screen estate to a single function button. You'll note that all of
                                    > the other clickable areas (the word "button" means something very
                                    > specific to GUI programmers) normally convey useful information in
                                    > addition to providing more when they are clicked (sometimes) and
                                    > double-clicked (most often).

                                    I don't need dynamically appearing buttons... how would a button know
                                    whether it was needed or not? There are a few very common tasks that
                                    could be made faster by having clickable areas associated. Why is
                                    there a zoom bar on screen? Because it is faster than going to
                                    SCREEN|ZOOM|IN or SCREEN|ZOOM|OUT.

                                    > PS. Oh, and you missed double-clicking on the zoom indicator in the
                                    > middle white-space between the + on top and the - on the bottom. At an
                                    > event I recently attended, the APRSISCE/32 operators didn't know that
                                    > would directly zoom to that point of the indicator without having to go
                                    > through the intervening levels.

                                    Nah, I ignored that one because it is one of the most intuitive
                                    "buttons" on the display...

                                    > PPS. I had to go double-check what objects you were getting from the
                                    > lat/lon box double-click. Those are internal windows object counts that
                                    > I use to ensure that I'm not leaking any resources. That and the
                                    > date/time double-click are truly only diagnostics, but I couldn't think
                                    > of anything more generally useful to hook in there.

                                    Oh we could come up with many more useful shortcuts rather than
                                    diagnostics pop-ups!

                                  • kc8sfq
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 15, 2013
                                      Hi Lynn,
                                      I haven't posted in a while, but read regularly and still running the client (almost) daily.

                                      While we're discussing the Lat/Long box, I saw a recent emergency management posting that suggested that the emergency management sector will soon be switching over to UTM's. I used those in the AF and am real comfortable with that system.

                                      Is there a place on the to-do list for some way to display UTM's in place of Lat/Long. Maybe a "hot button" (or even a cold one, Just look me up on APRS.FI for the cruise missile targeting data <grin>)

                                      73, KC8SFQ, Ron
                                      ++++++++++++++++++++

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 16, 2013
                                        Gotcha, thats what I do now. The CF-19 has hardware brightness control buttons on the exterior that I use now for night ops. However I was just looking for another software solution, hence the post.

                                        Reasoning is because even at its dimmest setting, the eye is naturally drawn to the white boxes since they are brighter than the surrounding map display which is appropriately dimmed. If the user could dim, invert, or set his own colors for the surrounding display it might help alleviate the eyes natural tendency to drift away from center of the map.

                                        I even swapped one of my overhead map lights with a nice red LED bulb to flood the interior with a nice red light. Again, great for night ops when out in the mountains!

                                        Tom
                                        KD2AVG

                                      • thunder175@sbcglobal.net
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 16, 2013
                                          Lynn,

                                          Thank you for the reply. Plenty of good nuggets of info to digest for a while. If you can figure out a way to seamlessly integrate into the program without having to commit major manhours to coding it then that would be great. Its not a feature I can't live without, so if it gets added in the future then great, if not I will use workarounds.

                                          Thanks again!

                                          Tom
                                          KD2AVG