New Feature Request: Overlays (Specifically Hillshading)

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 13, 2013
      Having seen another application in action doing just this, I figure, why can't APRSISCE/32?

      We can pull in standard OSM tiles like the one below:

      http://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/14/2912/5578.png

      5578.png (256×256)

      We can also pull in tiles that contain overlay information such as the artificial light source hill shading as seen below:

      http://toolserver.org/~cmarqu/hill/14/2912/5578.png

      Combine the two, using the overlay as an Alpha Channel mask... this should be similar to the current transparency that is used in the program. We can fade to white or fade to black based on transparency settings, should we not also be able to merge the two tiles above making some areas lighter and some areas darker?

      Adding in hill shading relief detail adds another dimension (pun intended) to the map... we go from this:

      Inline image 1

      to this:

      Inline image 2

      Lynn needs more things to keep him busy this winter! :)
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 13, 2013
        Feel free to write the code, James.  Yes, anything is possible, given enough time and money.

        The Win32 API doesn't make fading and semi-transparent overlays easy.  There are other frameworks (read: overhead) that make the coding simpler, but don't deliver the raw performance that I demand from my code.

        Remember, APRSISCE/32 can run on 400MHz Windows Mobile phones and ancient Windows XP machines.  And the biggest performance complain I've heard against Xastir is the slowness of map rendering, IMHO caused by their flexible (read: adopted library, not direct coded) map layering approaches.

        Beside, I have to leave something for the other software authors to excel at!  (and to give users hard choices as to which client offers the features that they find most useful or necessary).

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2013
          "Lynn needs more things to keep him busy this winter! :)"

          James, You seem to forget he lives in Florida the land of perpetual summer.
          :)

          Best Regards,
          Fred N7FMH
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2013
            I found a way around the limitation: make my own.

            As you said, there is another application that does this. It downloads the various tiles and overlays. however, I just use it to gather tiles of interest, then overlay them into one tile using Mobile Atlas Creator. At least I am pretty sure of the name since I haven't done this for 6 months or so. I do recall having to spend a bit of time testing the process.

            I know how to fetch tiles, but I haven't figured out how to merge them yet into one. I was hoping I could pass the tiles to Mobile Atlas Creator, let it create them, then use them, but I don't believe that is possible.

            Another goal was to overlay WX and maybe convince Lynn to refresh to tiles used from the local tile repository on a timed basis. Since I haven't succeeded with merging I figured it didn't make sense to ask yet.

            Best regards,
            Fred N7FMH

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 2013
              Correct. Summer is the season that we hide indoors in the A/C. Winter
              is when we get to enjoy the outdoors! When we were home-schooling the
              kids (they're both graduated now), we schooled through the summer and
              took our breaks in the winter. One lesson we learned, however, was to
              not expect them to do book-work while driving in the Carolina
              mountains. The picket-fence lighting effect caused by the tree cover
              was really distracting. (Note: Florida doesn't have this issue as we
              don't have any "real" trees, IMHO).

              I'm watching the thermometer fall (70 at 9:00 this morning) and looking
              forward to getting on the bike and doing some leg stretching soon, but
              right now it's still too hot by evening.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 15, 2013
                On 10/15/2013 9:59 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                Another goal was to overlay WX and maybe convince Lynn to refresh to tiles used from the local tile repository on a timed basis. Since I haven't succeeded with merging I figured it didn't make sense to ask yet.

                Just FYI, I'm still looking to do the weather overlays, possibly initially in APRSISMO, but I'm still less than satisfied with the whole "fetch new tiles every 10-15 minutes" approach.  Given the slowness of some tile servers, I'd really prefer to get area data and leverage some of that drawing support in APRSISCE/32.

                I seem to recall having read about the basic colorization/area information somewhere.  I might even consider downloading one resolution of radar tiles and doing my own pixel mapping as you zoom in and out.  I just hate the thought of fetching so many different tiles at different zoom levels for such a short period of applicable use.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 15, 2013
                  I would only fetch the current zoom level. If the user zooms in or out, then stop the other zoom fetching and start at the new current level. That will likely deviate from your current fetch routine but it could save time.

                  In reality, if I am in a position to fetch tiles, then I am in a position to open a WX map so it hasn't been a real issue.