APRSIS & IRLP

  • k6kusman
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013

      I'm kinda wunderin if the Aprsisce Can co-exist on an IRLP node puter?. I am seeing on the left side of the main window Irlp nodes showing up and am wondering why.  Any thoughts on this?
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013
        K6KUS (I think) wrote...

        > I'm kinda wunderin if the Aprsisce Can co-exist on an IRLP node puter?

        Not unless you can get an IRLP node running on Windows, or
        Lynn ports his program over to Linux.

        > I am seeing on the left side of the main window Irlp nodes showing
        > up and am wondering why. Any thoughts on this?

        For the most part, you are probably seeing IRLP nodes that are running
        the APRS status script that generates an object showing the node number,
        location, frequency and live status. Some could be static objects that
        don't show the live status. It's too bad the script wasn't standard on
        all nodes, but it's up to the node operator to install the script. To
        show up on RF, an IGate operator would have to gate it to RF.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        www.ui-view.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013
          On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM, <k6kusman@...> wrote:

          > I'm kinda wunderin if the Aprsisce Can co-exist on an IRLP node puter?.

          The answer is no. APRSISCE is designed for the Windows Mobile
          platform, and IRLP runs on Linux.

          Now, if you want to try running APRSISCE/32 (the Windows version)
          using WINE on a modified IRLP install that does more than just the
          base IRLP functions, then you probably can get it all working.

          You're going to have to be comfortable and knowledgeable with Linux
          and how get everything configured such that you can have everything
          needed for each setup working, and not conflicting with each other.
          (It's beyond my skillset and frustration level)

          > I am seeing on the left side of the main window Irlp nodes showing up and
          > am wondering why. Any thoughts on this?

          You are seeing IRLP nodes show up in APRSISCE/32, or somewhere else?
          If them are scrolling by in the station scroller, that is because you
          are hearing APRS packets describing the IRLP nodes as APRS objects.

        • k6kusman
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013

            I was wondering if there would be a way to talk Lynn into doin up a Linux port so that only one puter can run both IRLP and the aprs Igate together. I would think the Linux port would have to be text based and to create the xml file U would have to run the setup on a windowz box and copy the xml file over once all configured to make the IGate/Digi work. Since IRLP runs on the Paralell port and APRS uses the Com or USB port they should be able to live together quite nicely. But then I could be blowin smoke outa my arse and wishing for the sky!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013
              On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM, <k6kusman@...> wrote:

              > I was wondering if there would be a way to talk Lynn into doin up a Linux port
              > so that only one puter can run both IRLP and the aprs Igate together.

              There's no need to have Lynn port APRSISCE/32 to Linux if all you want
              is an i-gate on Linux.

              There are applications that do just that under Linux. There is no need
              for all of the GUI and other fluff associates with APRSISCE/32 if all
              you are looking for is an i-gate application.

            • Lee D Bengston
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013
                On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM, <k6kusman@...> wrote:

                I was wondering if there would be a way to talk Lynn into doin up a Linux port so that only one puter can run both IRLP and the aprs Igate together. I would think the Linux port would have to be text based and to create the xml file U would have to run the setup on a windowz box and copy the xml file over once all configured to make the IGate/Digi work. Since IRLP runs on the Paralell port and APRS uses the Com or USB port they should be able to live together quite nicely. But then I could be blowin smoke outa my arse and wishing for the sky!

                Lynn is already working on a new program that runs in Android, Windows, and Linux.  You'll have to be patient, though, because it doesn't do RF yet, so no IGating yet.  You can follow what is going on via the APRSISDR Yahoo group.

                Lee - K5DAT

              • Greg D
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013
                  Why the comment about needing to be text based?  APRSIS/32 runs perfectly well on Linux under Wine.  I run my iGate 24x7 on my home file/email server, an old 1.6ghz AMD something or other, with a full GUI map display, iGate, messaging, etc.  This machine is an upgrade from the previous server, a 733 mhz Pentium-III built onto a piece of T-111 plywood siding, where it also ran very well for years.  Amazing software, to be new and active, yet not require the latest bit of shiny kit to run.

                  Greg  KO6TH

                  k6kusman@... wrote:

                  I was wondering if there would be a way to talk Lynn into doin up a Linux port so that only one puter can run both IRLP and the aprs Igate together. I would think the Linux port would have to be text based and to create the xml file U would have to run the setup on a windowz box and copy the xml file over once all configured to make the IGate/Digi work. Since IRLP runs on the Paralell port and APRS uses the Com or USB port they should be able to live together quite nicely. But then I could be blowin smoke outa my arse and wishing for the sky!

                • Larry Ellsworth - K6KUS
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013
                    because irlp only runs in a Linux bos running debian. It won't run on a box using w gui for some reason. Has something to do with the sound I guess.
                    Larry Ellsworth
                              K6KUS
                        Irlp Node 7413
                    Echolink Node 524805
                      Allstar Link 27775

                    Subject: Re: [aprsisce] APRSIS & IRLP
                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 14, 2013

                        On Oct 13, 2013 2:14 PM, "James Ewen" <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                        > On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM, <k6kusman@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I was wondering if there would be a way to talk Lynn into doin up a Linux port
                        > > so that only one puter can run both IRLP and the aprs Igate together.
                        >
                        > There's no need to have Lynn port APRSISCE/32 to Linux if all you want
                        > is an i-gate on Linux.
                        >
                        > There are applications that do just that under Linux. There is no need
                        > for all of the GUI and other fluff associates with APRSISCE/32 if all
                        > you are looking for is an i-gate application.

                        If all you need is IGate software to run in Linux without a GUI, Google dixprs or aprx.

                        Lee - K5DAT

                      • Matthew Willis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 14, 2013
                          Let me clear up some incorrect assumptions.

                          1. You aren't limited to Debian.
                          The IRLP software will run on any Linux system with the proper libraries, as long as the binary-only parts have been compiled for that processor architecture. At this point, I've seen them compiled for i386 and the Raspberry Pi's ARM processor.
                          Before I upgraded my node from an old Dell dual-P3 to a Raspberry Pi, I hand-rolled my own node using CentOS 6, as I am more familiar and comfortable with Red Hat/CentOS. (meaning I didn't use the .ISO from the IRLP website)

                          2. IRLP software has nothing to do with a GUI.
                          The IRLP software has no GUI, but it has no dependency that there NOT be one. Often folks don't include one on the node as it saps resources (processor cycles, RAM, disk space, etc.) and is unnecessary for the node's operation, especially in the case of nodes located far away at a repeater site on some hill somewhere. That said, there's no reason you can't install X11 (the Linux GUI) along with the IRLP software.

                          APRSIS32/CE will run nicely on Linux under Wine. Wine requires X11. The IRLP software can be running at the same time as a daemon (aka "service" in Windows-land).

                          Think of how a web server on a Windows box won't have a GUI up (except when you want to make changes to its settings) but if you look in the Task Manager, you can find the web server's process running in the list. It's basically the same type of deal.

                          -Matt
                          N2PYI

                        • Rob Giuliano
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 14, 2013
                            Although this is quickly getting further from APRSISce/32 an more into IRLP and operating systems . . .

                            There are lots of options for a setup of multiple operating systems running on a single machine at the same time. One possibility would be to install the IRLP distribution in a virtual machine running under any environment (host) you want, and the APRS application of choice (APRSISce/32 or APRSISMO of course) on the main (host) machine with the GUI

                            I 'was' running APRSIS32 under VirtualBox before I moved it under WINE.
                            I have not run IRLP under anything, but I am sure there is a way to configure it under VirtualBox, or one of the other Virtual Machine Managers (VMMs).

                            Robert Giuliano
                            KB8RCO

                            Well, Debian can run a GUI, and all distros can run without one too.  But I think what you mean is that irlp was written for a different sound system than what you get with the modern GUI environment.  It has definitely evolved over the years.

                            So back to the original question, would it be possible to have both environments on the same box?  That&apos;s beyond my pay grade, unfortunately.

                            Greg  KO6TH

                            Larry Ellsworth - K6KUS wrote:

                            because irlp only runs in a Linux bos running debian. It won&apos;t run on a box using w gui for some reason. Has something to do with the sound I guess.
                            Larry Ellsworth
                                      K6KUS
                                Irlp Node 7413
                            Echolink Node 524805