CCW Digi Tracker

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2013

      It has been mentioned to me by 2 people that APRSIS32 does not work with the CCW Digi Tracker. I don’t know I don’t have one.

      Can anyone confirm that it does or does not. Are there issues.

      If it does is there a setup sequence I can add to the WIKI?

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2013
        I found the "CCW Digi Tracker" manual quite confusing (from just a quick read).
        According to what I read, the TNC is in Converse mode with SW2 OFF.

        That would mean there is NO KISS MODE in the TNC.
        The OPEN statement would have to put the TNC into CONV mode
        SEND CONV to put it into CONVerse mode
           <OPEN> CONV!!0</OPEN>
        Send CONTROL-C to exit CONVerse mode
           <CLOSE>^C!!0</CLOSE>

        At least that is how I read it.

        The question is what type of port do you use since it isn't in KISS mode.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2013

          It was discussed in March 2012 but I don’t see any answer.

          The issue I believe is messaging. The Tracker apparently works in converse mode. And as you say needs to be put into that mode.

          UI-View apparently works ok but APRSIS32 does not, at least from the limited info I have.

          One of the people is a long time Friend and phoned me who is running APRSIS32 and has a CCW Tracker, our conversation got cut short however.

          I was hoping I could just send him a how to message. But if testing needs doing to fix anything I am sure he would be happy to be a guinea pig and help sort out any issues if there are any

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2013

            Hi Steve,

            The APRS TNC Digi Tracker is a TNC2 format TNC.

            If you set the port up as a Text port you will be able to read APRS traffic received by the Digi Tracker in APRSISCE.

            I had a discussion with Lynn some years back about him adding TNC2 support to APRSISCE to allow messaging. It's probably on his "To Do" list.

            There is a work around as my program APRS Messenger will connect in TNC2 converse mode to the Digi Tracker. The program can then connect to APRSIS32 over a TCP/IP link on port 8063 so that packets and messages can be transferred between both programs. This was done after several discussions with Lynn so that APRSISCE could connect and send messages the APRS over digimodes for HF use feature in APRS Messenger. It also allows packets from APRS Messenger to be displayed on the APRSISCE map so it saved us both a lot of coding!

            As you say it does work with UI-View and I include a small command file on the CD included with the Digi Tracker to allow the correct settings to be used in UI-View.

            The latest version of the Digi Tracker now has a Bluetooth device so that received packets can be sent to another Bluetooth enabled computer, phone or tablet. This could be another way to connect to APRSISCE again using a Text port on the Bluetooth connection.

            Hope this helps.

            Regards,

            Chris, G4HYG

            Cross Country Wireless

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 10, 2013

                Thanks for the response Chris

                I don’t have one of your trackers so was unable to test (I hear good reports about them though)

                I will write something up for the WIKI tomorrow, perhaps when done you can check it for any errors.

                Lynn’s list is rather long I suspect

                That will at least help 2 people out, thanks

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 10, 2013
                  Chris,

                  Can you send me (KJ4ERJ@...) the command file for UI-View?  I suspect you just need to set up a "CONVerse" type port in the development version of APRSISCE/32.  In this mode, APRSISCE/32 will do a MYCALL (I think) and an UNPROTO APWW10 VIA <Path> followed by CONV to transmit the packet payload.  When the transmission is done, APRSISCE/32 will send a Control-C (I think) to get back to command mode.

                  Note that CONVerse mode TNCs do not typically support digipeating because the UNPROTO ... VIA ... command doesn't support setting the used bit on the AX.25 header components.