Re: [aprsisce] Adding additional symbols JetSki and Ham Club.

  • ve6srv
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013
      Jet-ski was just a random choice pulled out of the air. Not sure how many people might go to the trouble of installing an APRS station into such a wet vehicle.

      We should probably hold off on new definitions until we get the process figured out, gather requests, compile results, and then publish a suggested list for ratification.

      We might be getting that cart out in front of our horse.

      I see you used the term potential, so they aren't entrenched, but it might be best to work on compiling the potential additions somewhere other than the "official" page for now.

      Just my 2 cents.

      From: Robert Bruninga <bruninga@...>
      Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 18:51:25 -0400
      To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [aprsisce] Adding additional symbols JetSki and Ham Club.

      I just added two new potential symbol definitions (though no one will see them until all symbols in all clinents are updated.  But these were easy as overlays)

      Jet Ski [Js] is a ship with an overly J (for now)

      Ham Club [C-] is a house with an HF beam and overlay C (for now).

      See http://aprs.org/symbols.html

      where these days new symbols can only be added as overlay combinatinos to existing symbols though individual clients can expand them to new Icons if desired.  They will be documented in the overlay lists on this page:

      http://aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt

      Though a group is forming to consider such combos.

      Bob, WB4APR

    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

        Sure… Though I prefer the single line per symbol approach for the human visible definitions

        Ø  Am I OK to release the URL for the page, for authors to comment on file format and  distribution methods?

        This is about how we construct a common format for the symbols and distribution thereof, not what the symbols should be themselves.

        To attempt to future proof changes in symbols and tocalls, and make updates easy, even after an author gone to other things.

        Just wanted to check the initial page was ok for release?

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

          Update.  My last rendition had 17x16 pixel icons.  This one is corrected to show 16x16 icons in a 20x20 white space.

          And it adds the house options of Emergency, Battery, Hydro, Solar and Wind power overlays.

          Bob, WB4APR

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013

            I offered originally to help collate the information and discussion between authors, for a file distribuition, format of files and images for the symbols and tocalls files.

            This is not intended for discussion about what symbols there should be, but about creating a standard format. Hopefully all current author’s can make suggestions on a format and method for these files. And come to an agreement.

            Hopefully the end result will enable future addition of symbols and tocalls to be easily made.

            It’s hosted on the APRSISCE/32 WIKI site only because that’s easy for me to edit, when finalised it should obviously go on the main APRS spec site.

            It’s intended for APRS software Authors to comment on

            http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/futuresym