RE: [aprsisce] Adding additional symbols JetSki and Ham Club.

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013

      Am I OK to release the URL for the page, for authors to comment on file format and  distribution methods? Or you can?

      This is about how we construct a common format for the symbols and distribution thereof, not what the symbols should be themselves.

      To attempt to future proof changes in symbols and tocalls, and make updates easy, even after an author gone to other things.

      Just wanted to check the initial page was ok for release?

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013
        Jet-ski was just a random choice pulled out of the air. Not sure how many people might go to the trouble of installing an APRS station into such a wet vehicle.

        We should probably hold off on new definitions until we get the process figured out, gather requests, compile results, and then publish a suggested list for ratification.

        We might be getting that cart out in front of our horse.

        I see you used the term potential, so they aren't entrenched, but it might be best to work on compiling the potential additions somewhere other than the "official" page for now.

        Just my 2 cents.

        From: Robert Bruninga <bruninga@...>
        Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 18:51:25 -0400
        To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        I just added two new potential symbol definitions (though no one will see them until all symbols in all clinents are updated.  But these were easy as overlays)

        Jet Ski [Js] is a ship with an overly J (for now)

        Ham Club [C-] is a house with an HF beam and overlay C (for now).

        See http://aprs.org/symbols.html

        where these days new symbols can only be added as overlay combinatinos to existing symbols though individual clients can expand them to new Icons if desired.  They will be documented in the overlay lists on this page:

        http://aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt

        Though a group is forming to consider such combos.

        Bob, WB4APR

      • Robert Bruninga

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

            Update.  My last rendition had 17x16 pixel icons.  This one is corrected to show 16x16 icons in a 20x20 white space.

            And it adds the house options of Emergency, Battery, Hydro, Solar and Wind power overlays.

            Bob, WB4APR

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013

              I offered originally to help collate the information and discussion between authors, for a file distribuition, format of files and images for the symbols and tocalls files.

              This is not intended for discussion about what symbols there should be, but about creating a standard format. Hopefully all current author’s can make suggestions on a format and method for these files. And come to an agreement.

              Hopefully the end result will enable future addition of symbols and tocalls to be easily made.

              It’s hosted on the APRSISCE/32 WIKI site only because that’s easy for me to edit, when finalised it should obviously go on the main APRS spec site.

              It’s intended for APRS software Authors to comment on

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/futuresym