Re: [aprsisce] Yaesu FTM-400DR with APRSIS

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2013
      I just researched this last night in an APRS QSO with K0GDI who has an FTM-400 on order.  I agree with Rob's analysis that this is no different than the FTM-350.  But at least one piece of the manual gives hope that it will pass received packets out to the PC as the FTM-350 does into the custom port type in APRSISCE.  That's on page 157 of the big Operating Manual which says:

      This is the same type of menu option that the FTM-350 has to enable output to the PC.  So it seems you can choose to get the GPS passed through OR (presumably APRS) packets OR waypoints which I assume is an NMEA waypoint generated from the received APRS packets.

      As soon as K0GDI gets his radio in operation, we're going to test to see how it handles non-AX.25 -SSIDs with respect to messaging (like WHO-IS and/or KJ4ERJ-AP).

      On 10/6/2013 1:09 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
      I looked at this radio when announced.  From what I saw, this radio is NO DIFFERENT from the lack of capability Yaesu provided for computer connection in APRS that the old FTM350.  I did not see any indication Yaesu enabled bi-directional APRS communication with an attached computer.

      But then why would they?
      No reviewer of the FTM350 ever made an issue of this lack of functionality.  The ARRL review wouldn't even print criticism of this omission in the letters column.  Yaesu did not get any negative press for not having this feature, so it would only make sense that they would not add such a feature.

      The manual says:
      "...connect the radio to a personal computer as a com port  for the following operations.
      * Transmit your own station position to the personal computer
      * updating the firmware
      * Packet communication"

      Later it says:
      "Packet communication via this radio is possible by connecting this radio to the TNC."

      Searches through the manuals on the work KISS (for KISS mode) turned up nothing.

      From everything I read, you need an external TNC to use this with ccomputer applications like APRSISce/32.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO