Re: [aprsisce] Adding additional symbols

    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 1, 2013
      And it would take an artist-type (which I am decidedly not) to assist
      with drawing up the 1,000s of new Icons. The definitions are there, and
      APRSISCE/32 identifies the defined overlays as the specified name, but
      still uses the letter-overlaid base symbol for the display.

      On 9/30/2013 11:34 PM, James Ewen wrote:
      > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I just checked. The overlay C on the house is avaiable:
      >> http://aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt
      >>
      >> So it would seem we can define that to be a club.
      >> 1) we need a club symbol.
      >> 2) It will ONLY show on clients that adopt it.
      >> 3) Every one else will see a house with an overlay C
      >>
      >> Just an idea. Maybe I havent thought it through, but it seems possible.
      >> But what would it look like?
      > Interesting.. so has this concept been defined before? ie. a symbol
      > with an overlay could end up being displayed as a totally different
      > icon.
      >
      > This would allow for quite a few more icons than those that are already defined.
      >
      > I think this is a pretty interesting idea. Backward compatibility
      > would be maintained, where the older clients would just show the
      > overlay, but supporting clients would display the new icon.
      >
      > The biggest issue would be getting consensus on defining new icons.
      > The process involved in adding any new icons is very slow currently.
      > How many new icons have been added in the last ten years?

    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 2, 2013
        At 12:43 PM 2013-10-02, kb2m@... wrote:
        Ok. And there is my answer. To function as a SATGATE the way I want I will just run in receive-only mode. I knew I was missing something. Now I will try to get the D710 working the same. Thanks for the help Lynn...

        FWIW I'm using UISS to do my sat gating which is designed for the job.   It requires that you use AGWPE and that you remember to put the TNC into Packet mode.   I sent the UISS author the requested $$$s to get the extra features which were needed.

        Off topic to this mailing list but I'd be interested if anyone has done some reasonably objective tests comparing the D710 to other TNCs such as the KPC3+ in a tough environment like satellite work.

        Tony