anybody ever seen low performance PC unable to draw maps or update?

  • dhuff16
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2013
      I recently installed APRSIS32 on an ASUS EEEpc windows XP netbook, and it took forever get OSM tiles. (and still shows blank maps) It originally didn't even want to connect to the APRS IS network.  Once I connected, it took forever to update.  <W0IM-14>

      Has anybody got advice for running the program on a low performance system, or do I have to dig deeper for something specific to my PC?  I am surprised, because I have a standard single core PC that is much older, and it works fine on it.

      Thanks,
      David J Huff
      Rockwell Collins Inc.
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2013
        I had an issue like this running on a limited resource machine where the hard drive space was the problem.  I found 3 areas that helped fix the problem (ordered list):
        1.  XP Virtual memory (Disk Space) changed to a fixed value (custom size) both initial and max set to the same value.  This allowed the computer to set aside the given value removing concerns about space available.
        2. Disk cleanup - remove unwanted files
        3. Defrag the drive (after step 1) to allow better access

        Although somewhat obvious (and you may have tried this), sometimes we forget these things - especially on a secondary machine.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2013
          What is the Internet connection on the netbook?

          Is is reliable when you browse the Internet?

          Try browsing the OSM slippymap directly via http://www.openstreetmap.org and see what your performance is like there.  I just hit that URL (which redirected to my last location at http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/27.99870/-80.63547 in their new zoom 19) and it is taking FOREVER to show the map tiles.  I'm suspecting that the OSM tile servers are a bit overloaded at the moment for some reason, possibly their addition of zoom 19 capability.

          Are you using the default rotate.aprs2.net port 14580 for your APRS-IS server:  If not, what did you change it to?

          You might want to use noam.aprs2.net port 14580 for Configure / Port / APRS-IS / Device to get a more local server.

          PS.  It looks to me that OSM has some service time issues in the distributed Squid cache:

          http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/tile.openstreetmap/squid_times_chits.html

          You can read about their verious servers at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Platform_Status

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2013
            This was originally designed to run on a Windows Mobile phone which isn't necessarily a fast platform and the performance is good.

            I have run on an old 300MHz laptop that had been upgraded to XP. The speed is good. That laptop was only used in a vehicle so I didn't have a bunch of over things running. Even adding an OBDII application and a GPS application running at the same time, everything was still okay. I could see some delays but nothing I didn't expect. the biggest delay appeared to be lag in getting data from the disk to the display. I took no special actions other than only running what I needed to run.

            Tell us a bit more about your setup.

            Are the maps totally blank as in no tiles downloaded?

            What took forever to update?

            It may be worthwhile to send your XML to Lynn at some point.

            Best regards,
            Fred N7FMH