APRSIS32 and the XML

  • pa3bnx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29 9:32 AM

      Hello Every Body,

      I wished APRSIS32 had an command line option

      to say witch APRSIS32.XML it should load.

      Why do i want that:

      Becuase I want to start APRSIS32 from lets say

      D:\APRSIS\APRSIS32.exe

      If I do this from the root D:\  in cmd

      It starts with a fresh APRSIS32 Configuration screen.

      So it would be nice if I could give

      in cmd

      D:\APRSIS32\APRSIS32.exe D:\APRSIS32.\APRSIS32.XML

      Then I could easy start APRSIS32 from

      my SoundDoppler program witch resides in a Different drive and path

      With something like

      Shell("D:\APRSIS32|APRSIS32.exe D:\APRSIS32\APRSIS32.XML")

      In Visual Basic.

      73's

      PA3BNX

      Lodewijk Baars

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29 10:20 AM
        On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM, <pa3bnx@...> wrote:

        > I wished APRSIS32 had an command line option
        > to say witch APRSIS32.XML it should load.
        >
        > Becuase I want to start APRSIS32 from lets say
        >
        > D:\APRSIS\APRSIS32.exe
        >
        > If I do this from the root D:\ in cmd
        >
        > It starts with a fresh APRSIS32 Configuration screen.

        > So it would be nice if I could give
        > in cmd
        > D:\APRSIS32\APRSIS32.exe D:\APRSIS32.\APRSIS32.XML

        You can do this, as well as run multiple copies of APRSISCE/32 at one
        time, each one with a different XML file if you choose.

        You could create a shortcut that starts up each version pointing to a
        different XML file, or you can create a BATCH file that asks for your
        input as to which XML file to point towards.

        Here's an email from Lynn about this very subject:

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29 10:48 AM
          Just make a .BAT file that changes to the directory of choice and starts
          APRSIS32.EXE in that directory. You can then execute the .BAT however
          you want to.

          Or set the default directory in your program and then activate
          APRSIS32.EXE with that as the default.

          Or as James suggested, create a shortcut that specifies the directory in
          which to execute and activate that shortcut from your program.

          There's any number of ways to accomplish what you want with the built-in
          Windows tools and techniques. And it doesn't require any changes to
          APRSISCE/32 to do it.

        • Rob Giuliano
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29 4:13 PM
            You can also do this with shortcuts that have a different "Start In:" directories within the Windows shortcut.

             find it easiest to have the MAPS in a base directory which each of the XLM files pointing to the same MAP sub-directory

            With the path inside the XML being relative:
               <OSM.Path>../maps/OSMTiles/</OSM.Path>

            I have "start in" paths of
            \APRS\maps\OSMTiles
            \APRS\maps\Ariel
            \APRS\kb8rco-s
            \APRS\kb8rco        This version has the EXE file (only one
            \APRS\kb8rco-2

            kb8rco has the following:
              Target:    \APRS\KB8RCO\APRSIS32.EXE
              Start In:  \APRS\kb8rco

            kb8rco-s has the following:
              Target:    \APRS\KB8RCO\APRSIS32.EXE
              Start In:  \APRS\kb8rco-s

            kb8rco-2 has the following:
              Target:    \APRS\KB8RCO\APRSIS32.EXE
              Start In:  \APRS\kb8rco-2

            The start in directories have the XML and LOG files for that configuration.
            I can start 1, any 2, or all 3 of the shortcuts.

            UPGRADES are simple because there is ONLY 1 executable file.  However, you must restart each of them after an upgrade.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29 4:49 PM
              Hi Everyone

              Thanks for all the great suggestions.  One thing I'm wondering about is what the program will do in those cases where it's updated changing the XML file format but one of more XML files have not?  Does it simply recognize the change and upgrade each old XML file if needed when it next uses that file?

              73, Bruce - VE5BNC

            • Rob Giuliano
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29 5:09 PM
                Lynn does a great job of keeping the XML "mostly" backward compatible.

                When you update the EXE through his About, it asks to start the new EXE.  When you start the new EXE, it reads the XML from the old EXE and has defaults for the "new features".  This allow the same features to work as they did, and gives a good starting point (defaults) for new features to create the new XML.

                If running multiple copies, this process happens with each copy, but you have to end each copy, then then restart it.  It reads the OLD XML in the "start in" directory, and puts in the new defaults for this new XML.

                NOTE: it doesn't have any changes from the previous instance where you may have changed the "new defaults" for your use. Each is its own instance.

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013

                     Hello EveryBody

                    Tnx fer responses

                    Yes the *.bat file good old ms-dos hi..

                    But I thought of the

                    Using the Command in Baic

                    or In C Main(arguments)

                    Tnx's all.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
                      I understand what you were thinking of, but when there's a solution that works, I'm not planning to implement something new and even more confusing that what things already are.

                      Imagine trying to tell someone where to find the XML file or the LOG files when there's three different directories in force?  (The .EXE, the .XML, and the .LOGs).  I believe it's better that the XML and LOGs are all in the default directory in which the .EXE runs.  And anyone that can create a shortcut presumably understands the concept of "run in" better than someone that is drag/dropping a .XML on top of a .EXE (which is a side effect of supporting a .XML from the command line).

                      On 10/4/2013 2:34 PM, pa3bnx@... wrote:

                       Hello EveryBody

                       Tnx fer responses

                       Yes the *.bat file good old ms-dos hi..

                      .BATs aren't only for MS-DOS.  They work perfectly fine under Windows 7 (and presumably 8) and actually have a reasonably powered command language interpreter available now, although I've got no direct experience with it and it's by no means as robust as the *nix shells.

                       But I thought of the

                       Using the Command in Baic

                      or In C Main(arguments)

                       Tnx's all.

                    • Rob Giuliano
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
                        Windows allows for a more "interpretive" language (that it isn't compiled, but is executable) in VBS (VB script).

                        The *.bat file would also work just fine if properly configured.  The problem is that you MUST run them from the command line (although calling from something else IS easier), or create shortcuts on the desktop with predefind values to pass.  If you are doing that with shortcuts, the previously described method is better.

                        The batch file would look something like:
                        @echo off
                        if %1.==%1. Goto Help
                        if %1==KB8RCO GoTo KB8RCO
                        Goto :Info

                        :KB8RCO
                        cd\Radio\KB8RCO
                        ..\APRSIS32.EXE
                        Goto Done

                        :KB8RCO-9
                        cd\Radio\KB8RCO-9
                        ..\APRSIS32.EXE
                        Goto Done

                        :Help
                        Echo You need to provide the callsign-SSID that matches a setup
                        Echo Like {n0call-0}
                        :Done
                        <EOF>

                        Your structure would be
                        \Radio - directory with APRSIS32.exe file.
                                 Also recommend putting map subdirectories here
                        \Radio\Maps - like this
                        \Radio\Maps\OSMTiles - like this
                        \Radio\KB8RCO - XML and end up logs here for KB8RCO
                        \Radio\KB8RCO-9 - XML and end up logs here for KB8RCO-9

                        Make sure your XLM points to map directories properly.
                        The good news is they could have the same format with a relative path like:
                          <Path>../Maps/OSMTiles/</Path>

                        Same as described in the "shortcut method".

                        Robert Giuliano
                        KB8RCO

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 7, 2013

                           Hello EveryBody,

                          I fixed it in my SoundDoppler program a menu to

                          start APRSIS32.exe

                          It uses a bat file like

                          APRSIS32.BAT

                          cd /d d:\APRSIS32\APRSIS32

                          start d:\APRSIS32\APRSIS32.exe

                          All works FB now...

                          As long as widows gives the right's to execute as user

                          So under Windows 7 installl

                          APRSIS32 in the root

                          and SoundDoppler also in the root hi

                          So i have 2 dir's under D

                          D:\APRSIS32

                          D:\SoundDoppler

                          I have not uploaded the new SoundDoppler139All.zip but I will soon do that.