Baycom or BP-1 Interface??

  • Gervais Fillion
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2013
      hi all
      i have an Igate uneder Uiview that is using an Baycom as interface ,not a tnc.
      Can APRSIS run with such a device,
      i think i am using AGWPE also,,as connection betwen radio and software.

      Thanks to inform me
      73
      gervais
      ve2ckn

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2013
        On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Gervais Fillion <ve2ckn2@...> wrote:

        > i have an Igate uneder Uiview that is using an Baycom as interface ,not a
        > tnc.

        The Baycom provides basic I/O if I recall... does it do KISS?

        > Can APRSIS run with such a device,

        If it does KISS, APRSISCE/32 can use it.

        > i think i am using AGWPE also,,as connection betwen radio and software.

        APRSISCE/32 supports AGWPE, so if you are using AGWPE, you can use
        APRSISCE/32 with it.

      • Greg D
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2013
          I used one - built it myself - for a couple of years, only retiring it when I grabbed a "real" TNC at a ham event.  That was about the same time that I transitioned off Windows, um, 95? to something more modern (where the software stopped working so well).

          Baycom is just a modem, providing a serial bit stream of what the modem hears from the radio.  If I recall, the bit stream is NOT broken into flag-removed bytes with start and stop bits (normal serial I/O), so you can't simply plug it into a normal serial port.  The Baycom interfaces would connect the serial data stream into one of the modem control lines, as a 1-bit software-visible register.  The PC's software would poll the control line, timing the bit transitions and reconstructing essentially a KISS byte stream of it, and then layering a TNC on top of that.  I never found that the data stream was accessible independent of the TNC, nor that there were any recent (last 15 years) systems that used it.  Making the hardware usable in a modern (last 15 years) APRS network would be interesting.

          Greg  KO6TH

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2013
            In my packet years i used it and it was great now it has been recycled on APRS.
            will see if i can start it now with APRSIS
            thanks for your comments even if you loose me at some point too ,,

            gervais

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
            From: ko6th.greg@...
            Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:15:04 -0700
            Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Baycom or BP-1 Interface??

              From: ko6th.greg@...
              Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:15:04 -0700

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 26, 2013
                ahhhhhh
                i am back from the radio site,,,,,,i forgot that the pc was in,,,,,,98SE on Uiview.
                i must prepare a new pc for that.
                Thanks Lynn for the infos
                at least it was a beautiful temperature of the season here,the trees colors are super.

                be back
                Gervais

                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                From: ko6th.greg@...