Re: [aprsisce] RE: Problem with sending message via RF

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 22, 2013
      But the MAIN POINT of the group MUST BE to provide CLARITY - SPECIFICALLY with respect to the answer to the question posed - without confusion.

      When I read your response to Lynn, had I been the person who posed the question, I could have been confused - SPECIFICALLY because the statement directly said the answer was "inaccurate", while quoting pretty much the whole answer.

      >> You really should use the "RF Only" option on the Chat dialog
      >> to force it to RF and keep APRS-IS Messages enabled. This allows
      >> lots of capability including continuing an APRS QSO with a station
      >> that might have left your range but is still within range of another
      >> message-gating IGate. If you have APRS-IS Messages disabled, you'll
      >> simply lose the QSO.
      >
      > The above is an inaccurate observation. Hundreds of stations with RF
      > only access successfully send and receive APRS messages with stations
      > outside of their local RF network by having their messages injected
      > into the APRS-IS by other i-gates in the area.

      The assumptions were to make a point about settings, not to "bash or imply inability" of the system.  Countering them "could have been done" in a method that was less aggressive to the point being made (and therefore less confusion to the person LOOKING FOR ANSWERS".

      Don't get me wrong, the banter and comments all have value and are opportunity to learn more about APRS in general and APRSISce/32 specifically.  I know I have learned more from those points.

      BUT the points need to be made without confusion about the original message's question or request for assistance.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 22, 2013
        On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

        > But the MAIN POINT of the group MUST BE to provide CLARITY - SPECIFICALLY
        > with respect to the answer to the question posed - without confusion.

        Correct, and making a statement that a QSO would be lost because
        internet connectivity was shut down was inaccurate.

        > When I read your response to Lynn, had I been the person who posed the question,
        > I could have been confused - SPECIFICALLY because the statement directly said the
        > answer was "inaccurate", while quoting pretty much the whole answer.

        That was because there was a need to provide context. Lynn had a
        prescribed condition that was defined in the paragraph.

        > Don't get me wrong, the banter and comments all have value and are
        > opportunity to learn more about APRS in general and APRSISce/32
        > specifically. I know I have learned more from those points.
        >
        > BUT the points need to be made without confusion about the original
        > message's question or request for assistance.

        Which I attempted to do by providing context, and pointing out that
        the suggestion that one would "simply lose the QSO" was an inaccurate
        observation.

        Greg was having difficulty getting APRSISCE/32 to work in the manner
        in which he wanted. If he could get APRSISCE/32 to use RF only, then
        the status of his internet connectivity would not weigh on the ability
        to be able to send and receive messages.

      • Bob Harris
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 24, 2013
          I have vague recollection that somewhere someone passed on an app that would reset KPC-3 out of KISS mode (without diddling with control codes using the like of Tera Term). Does anyone know about it? I may have to make a house call on Friday and get a KPC-3 back to some degree of normalcy. Since it is currently in KISS mode, getting it back to terminal mode will be the first step.

          (I thought it might have been on Steven's website, but when I looked there this morning I couldn't find it)
          --

          BobHarris (K9UDX)
          Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD

          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 24, 2013

            At the bottom of the following link is software called online kiss+ which should do what you want

            http://www.dk3wn.info/software.shtml

            Not used it myself, just saw it the other day

            Steve Daniels

            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 24, 2013

                    TNC KISS_OFF.EXE

                    Compiled Quick Basic program to reset TNCs from KISS to normal command line mode. Because this is a compiled DOS program, it is a 16-bit application.  It will run in versions of Windows up to WinXP SP3 but not later. (Vista and higher will not run programs that contain 16-bit code) Because this app is a legacy DOS program, it is limited to the first 4 com ports (COM1 to COM4).

                    There's a kpc-kiss-off.exe file in the zip package below that doesn't have the limitations above.  There's a little setup program to run first just to tell it which com port (up to COM12) and what baud rate to use.  If you are using XP, the program above should be fine, however.

                    Regards,
                    Lee - K5DAT