RE: RE: [aprsisce] BalloonFoxHunt RDF

  • pa3bnx
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013

       Hello Every Body,

      Some hints to get SoundDoppler working with APRSIS32 from KJ4ERJ

      Under SoundDoppler
      ------------------

      Press F11  PacketLog

      You must enter a

      callsign (Maybe nice to take another SSID then APRSIS uses like -7 or -9)
      latitude
      longitude

      To send to APRSIS32
      If you have a GPS working then the latitude and longitude
      are coming from there.

      Check TCPIP checked
      check Kill  checked (wil grey Older DF Objects)

      If you have a GPS-rx  and a recent APRSIS32 then
      Check Cse+Hdg  :Unchecked   (It adds GPScourse and DopplerHeading)
      This must only checked if using an older APRSIS32

      Under APRSISIS32
      ----------------

      Create a new port called something like Doppler

      Configure>Ports>New
      Adjust in popup screen
      Type       :Text
      Name       :Doppler

      Then press TCP/IP
      IP or DNS   :Localport
      Port        :1024

      Quit Time   :0
      Enabled     :checked
      Bulletin/Obj:checked

      Screen>Direction Finding>Enabled
      Screen>Direction Finding>Opacity (15)
      Screen>Brightness>Dim (Better visability for DF sectors)

      If you don't like many DF objects in the scroller then
      Screen>Scroller>Not Mine :checked

      Enables>Port>All
      Enables>Port>Doppler

      Sometimes there is no connection to SoundDoppler
      Then simply close and reopen the Doppler port
      Enables>Port>Doppler :uncheck
      en right after that
      Enables>Port>Doppler :check

      You can also switch SoundDoppler.exe TCP/IP with the checkbox
      left from the start/running button in SoundDoppler

      If it shows Doppler OK
      Just above the scroller then there is a connection

      APRSIS32 can send the DF objects to Internet
      Configure>Ports>Doppler
      RF to IS :checked
      Of cource you need a passcode to send to IS

      I hope this wil help you all to get SoundDoppler.exe running with APRSIS32.exe

      I wil soon upload the newer version SoundDoppler138.zip on our websites

      73's PA3BNX

      Happy Foxhunting

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      One of the items on my list to get, Have watched the chat on this list about it

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013

         Hello Everybody,

        Sofisticated Radio Direction Finding

        Whats needed for a SoundDoppler Mobile Foxhunt

        ==============================
        Go with at least two persons.
        One driver and one operator.
        Safetey first !
        ==============================

        Download the latest version SoundDoppler and APRSIS32

        Just buy
        --------

        1 LapTop with XP/Vista/Win7/8
        1 USB Stereo input SoundCard if the PC doesn't have it like UCA202
        1 GPS mouse with rs232 or USB with NMEA
        1 FM Rx porto or scanner or a FT817 with cat62 cable
        1 Maybe you need USB to RS232 cables to

        To build assemble yourself
        --------------------------

        1 SuperSimpleSoundDoppler Generator
        1 4x Antenna Array

        You can buy the PCB's from PA8W
        http://members.chello.nl/~w.hofman/pa8w/rdf.htm

        The best SuperSimpleSoundDoppler generator is the hardware with 4 softswitch
        transistors connected to the 4017 chip.
        This let the doppler detect weaker signals and it has less influence from
        strong neighbourh channels.

        1 50 ohm coax cable(rg58) with connectors BNC /SMA
        1 Control cable with 5p Din connectors
        1 USB or rs232 db9 cable to make the GPSmouse cable longer so it can
          reside on top of the car roof.

        1 shielded audio cable with 3.5mm stereo jack to lsp rx and sounddopplergenerator
        1 Maybe a Switchable monitor loudspeaker
        1 Maybe Needed a simple stereo-preamp for the USB SoundCard with isolation
          1:1 transformers to avoid ground loops.

        1 12V board supply volt connector block
        1 adapter to feed the Laptop from 12 volts (Home brew?)
        (Maybe you need a upconverter many laptops have adapters on 16 Volt)

        Try to create a box or assembly where all the hardware resides.
        Make shure you can see the laptop screen and try to shield it from sunlight.

        If using APRSIS32 then also cache the tiles from the region where the hunt happens.
        Play with the software at home so you know how the software and hardware works!

        I think anyone can become a profi-hunter with this equipment.

        In the mean time I try to make the software as good as it can be !

        Happy Mobile (Fox/Balloon) Hunting

        PA3BNX

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013
          It is fun to buy all that stuff to play with, but one rarely has it when it is needed.  Better to simply learn to use the gray matter between your ears and the FM radio (HT an mobile) that you already have.

          It is easy to do and you can practice on ANY signal anytime.

          See http://aprs.org/dfing.html

          Ignore the APRS stuff and go to the middle of the page where the manual "use your ears" method is described.

          Bob, Wb4aPR

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013

             Hello,

            Yes it's funny stuff but I like to play with it

            and write the programs.

            It's just fun..

            Yes you can hunt with very simple methodes.

            But thats what we did already for decades hi.

            For now I heard someone say APRSIS32.

            needs adjustable colors for the bearing lines.

            73's

            PA3BNX

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013
              On 9/23/2013 2:56 PM, pa3bnx@... wrote:
              For now I heard someone say APRSIS32.

              needs adjustable colors for the bearing lines.

              Is coloration information included in the DF packet spec?  I'm not in a position just now to look it up.

              Or should I just randomize it and allow it then to be customized similar to what is done with track line colors?

            • pa3bnx
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2013

                 Hello Every Body,

                No the colors of bearing lines  are not of the APRS specs.

                But it would be nice if we could adjust the bearing line DF  colors from a menu in APRSIS32

                So the bearing lines could be adjusted according the visual

                needs of the APRSIS32 vieuwer

                So just static color adjustments for bearing lines/segment

                for all DF plotted active Objects

                We appreciate very much the Brightness Dim function hi already.

                Maybe it's already good enough to set the bearingline fore color in the

                XML file.

                You also heard of the APRSIS32.XML read option from

                commandline starts ?

                I would like to have an option like

                aprsis32.exe "D:\aprsis32.exe\aprsis32.xml"

                So everything stays the same

                But if I want to start APRSIS32.exe from Visual Basic

                I could do that like

                Call SHELL ("D:\APRS|Aprsis32.exe "d:\APRS\Aprsis32.xml",vbNormalFocus)

                I do not want it to use another XML some where else on harddisk

                But I want the APRSIS32.exe to find it's default XML

                Normally my software resides in a different map then APRSIS32 does.

                Just see what I mean

                Start cmd

                then type

                d:\

                D:\APRSIS\APRSIS32.exe

                Now it starts fresh.

                I want to start it with the normal XML file

                73's

                PA3BNX

                Lodewijk Baars

                Rhenen