Messaging Question

  • g.isringhaus
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2013

      I guess I should ask this question since I run into the problem every now and then.  When I am sending a message to someone via RF and I have my ACK on, and I don't end up getting an ACK back and the message has given up on tries.  How do I get another message out?  I always seem to have to close the program and open it back up before it allows me to send another message.

    • Bob Burns W9BU
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2013
        At 09:13 AM 9/22/2013, g.isringhaus@... wrote:

        >When I am sending a message to someone via RF and I have my ACK on,
        >and I don't end up getting an ACK back and the message has given up
        >on tries. How do I get another message out?

        Go to Messages | Pending Messages in the menus. That should give you
        a list of messages that have not been acked and those which have not
        been sent. You can abort the non-acked ones in that list.

        There's a write-up in the Wiki about message retries.

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/message-retries

        Bob...
      • g.isringhaus
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2013

           Thanks Bob!

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          At 09:13 AM 9/22/2013, g.isringhaus@... wrote:

          >When I am sending a message to someone via RF and I have my ACK on,
          >and I don't end up getting an ACK back and the message has given up
          >on tries. How do I get another message out?

          Go to Messages | Pending Messages in the menus. That should give you
          a list of messages that have not been acked and those which have not
          been sent. You can abort the non-acked ones in that list.

          There's a write-up in the Wiki about message retries.

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/message-retries

          Bob...
        • n9mxtham
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2014
            Hello All,
                I assume this is a stupid question which I will prob smack myself in the head when I get the answer!  I run the following SSID stations here.

            MYCALL "Laptop at shack" Internet NO RF
            MYCALL-1 "D700" in Shack RF and DIGI
            MYCALL-13 "WX station"
            MYCALL-10 "Laptop on main floor" to watch APRS traffic
            MYCALL-9 "D700" in the mobile

            If I sent a message on this computer upstairs on the MYCALL-10 to my MYCALL-9 D700 mobile it receives my messages on the computer but I get nothing on my D700 in the mobile as a reply.

            How or what do I need to turn on around here to make my messages from a INTERNET computer to make it to my D700 mobile on RF?  Run a TNC and have a RF/IGATE/DIGI at the shack? This the only way?

            Jeffrey

          • Fred Hillhouse Jr
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 26, 2014

              According to your description, the N9MXT-1 station only hears RF. So the message has to make it to RF somewhere. If N9MXT-1 is heard by another I-Gate in the area, then that I-Gate will transmit the message. Of course that I-Gate has to be configured correctly to send messages from IS to RF.

              It looks like there is one I-Gate in your area, K9IJ. If K9IJ is configured to pass messages, then the message would make it from the N9MXT-10 to N9MXT-1.

              Have you read this?

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:aprs-messaging-explained

              I am not sure what happens if you move one of your laptops to be connected to the D700. I would doubt the message would be heard by the D700 if sent by the connected APRS client.

              Best regards,

              Fred N7FMH