Re: [aprsisce] Filtering on APRSIS32

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 19 8:55 AM
      On 9/19/2013 5:09 AM, SV1UY wrote:
      > Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same.

      Demetre, can you provide a link and quote to where you read this on the
      Wiki?

      The filter range changing is only true if you check Screen / Range
      Circle in the main window. This defaults to not checked because it can
      cause an unexpected flood of data if you inadvertently (or purposefully)
      zoom out to see the whole planet. In this case, your filtered feed will
      approach (but not quite be the same as) a full feed.

      PS. There's bait in my statement above. I wonder if anyone will see it
      and ask for clarification...
    • SV1UY
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 19 11:08 AM
        Will try to find it again Lynn and let you know.

        73 de SV1UY

        > On 9/19/2013 5:09 AM, SV1UY wrote:
        > > Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same.
        >
        > Demetre, can you provide a link and quote to where you read this on the
        > Wiki?
      • SV1UY
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 19 10:47 PM
          Here it is Lynn,

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters

          73 de SV1UY

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 20 2:14 AM
            Okay, and what part says "changes automatically as we zoom the map in
            and out" that wasn't doing that for you?

            Or what part didn't you think was working as documented (and illuminated
            in my earlier message) when you tried it?

            On 9/20/2013 1:47 AM, SV1UY wrote:
            > Here it is Lynn,
            >
            > http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters
            >
            > 73 de SV1UY

            >> On 9/19/2013 5:09 AM, SV1UY wrote:
            >>> Is there a way to change the default filter when we connect to an APRS IGATE to port 14580 from APRSIS32? I read in the Wiki that it changes automatically as we zoom the map in and out but in my case it remains the same.
            >> Demetre, can you provide a link and quote to where you read this on the
            >> Wiki?
            >>
            >> The filter range changing is only true if you check Screen / Range
            >> Circle in the main window. This defaults to not checked because it can
            >> cause an unexpected flood of data if you inadvertently (or purposefully)
            >> zoom out to see the whole planet. In this case, your filtered feed will
            >> approach (but not quite be the same as) a full feed.

            >> PS. There's bait in my statement above. I wonder if anyone will see it
            >> and ask for clarification...

          • SV1UY
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 20 5:53 AM
              Hi,

              Maybe I understand wrong Lynn but these do not work for me.

              Especially the m/dist filter. The only thing that works is altering the 1/10th of a mile numbers.

              Also where is Screen/Range Circle? I can only see Screen/Filter Circle. Is that what you mean?

              Anyway, I am not here to complain about your program, I am only asking how it works since I was mislead a bit by the WiKi. After all isn't this why this yahoogroup exists?

              In any case your program is one of the best one today, only that it is a bit tricky sometimes to operate and setup, but we can live with this!

              Keep up the good work OM.

              73 de Demetre SV1UY

              ---these puzzled me a bit----------------------------------------
              m/dist - My Range filter based on the configured Range (converted from 1/10 mile to km) (Only if Range is non-zero)

              If you track or center on someone (right click or popup menu/Center) in the main window, it adds a:

              f/call/dist - Friend Range filter using the same range (changes to b/call if Range is zero)

              This filter will be removed when you are no longer tracking a callsign.

              If you drag the main window map around to establish a center other than yourself or a specific station, it adds a (if Range is non-zero):

              > Okay, and what part says "changes automatically as we zoom the map in
              > and out" that wasn't doing that for you?
              >
              > Or what part didn't you think was working as documented (and illuminated
              > in my earlier message) when you tried it?

            • Rob Giuliano
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 20 6:07 AM
                There can only be ONE m/{distance} filter sent to the IS system.
                That filter in APRSISce/32 comes from the <Configure> / <General> / {Range> {value in 1/10 miles}
                 the <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter>
                  can be used for ANY OTHER FILTER EXCEPT a "me" range filter of "m/{value}"

                In short, you may be able to create a filter in
                 <Configure> / <General> / {Range> 0    {zero}        disable this "m/" filter
                 <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter> f/SV1UY/70
                   which would "theoretically" be the same as an "m/" filter with your 70 km range
                   I don't think the system would ignore a friend filter with your own call

                Demetre - not only is it "why this group exists", but with every explanation, more people understand.
                  I have learned from your discussion with Lynn as well.
                  That is why it is IMPORTANT to read each and everty comment posted in a light of learning.
                   emphasis is for emphasis (clarity), and not in anger or criticism

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 20 6:56 AM
                  On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM, SV1UY <sv1uy@...> wrote:

                  > Anyway, I am not here to complain about your program, I am only asking
                  > how it works since I was mislead a bit by the WiKi. After all isn't this why
                  > this yahoogroup exists?

                  There are others interested in understanding why you are feeling
                  mislead by the information in the wiki. If we can understand what is
                  leading you astray, we can edit the wiki and make sure that the
                  information within the wiki is correct.

                  Help us help you understand, and we can take that knowledge and make
                  the wiki better.

                  Don't look at the message exchange as confrontational, we need to
                  communicate both sides clearly so that we can determine where the
                  miscommunication is happening.

                • SV1UY
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 20 7:57 AM
                    Hi Roberto,

                    Thanks a lot for explanation. I realise now that the most important thing is the Configure/Range filter with the 1/10th mile increments. The Screen/Filter Circle still does not work for me, but it does not matter if I can control things with the range filter.

                    I agree with you that if we ask in the group others will also benefit. That is the very reason all YahooGroups exist. I could have asked Lynn direct, but I do not think it is appropriate.

                    Thanks again for your post.

                    73 de Demetre SV1UY

                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

                    > There can only be ONE m/{distance} filter sent to the IS system.
                    > That filter in APRSISce/32 comes from the <Configure> / <General> / {Range> {value in 1/10 miles}
                    >  the <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter>
                    >   can be used for ANY OTHER FILTER EXCEPT a "me" range filter of "m/{value}"
                    >
                    > In short, you may be able to create a filter in
                    >  <Configure> / <General> / {Range> 0    {zero}        disable this "m/" filter
                    >  <Configure> / <General> / <Add Filter> f/SV1UY/70
                    >    which would "theoretically" be the same as an "m/" filter with your 70 km range
                    >    I don't think the system would ignore a friend filter with your own call
                    >
                    > Demetre - not only is it "why this group exists", but with every explanation, more people understand.
                    >   I have learned from your discussion with Lynn as well.
                    >   That is why it is IMPORTANT to read each and everty comment posted in a light of learning.
                    >    emphasis is for emphasis (clarity), and not in anger or criticism
                    >
                    > Robert Giuliano
                    > KB8RCO
                  • SV1UY
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 20 8:15 AM
                      Hi Robert and group,

                      Seems that when I set the Range to 0, the Screen/Filter Circle works nicely and I can see the change taking effect in realtime. This is what I was missing.
                      I see now that this is also mentioned in the WiKi. Maybe it was my oversight yesterday, but I see that the page was edited yesterday not sure what was edited though.

                      In any case, I have now solved this mystery! hi hi hi!

                      Thanks everyone for their posts.

                      73 and Good APRSing
                      de Demetre SV1UY
                    • yahoo

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 20 12:30 PM
                          Hi Lynn,

                          Zoom-in and zoom-out change of filtering works only if we put 0 1/10th miles in Configure/Range/Range and also put nothing in Configure/General/AddFilter, provided Screen/Filter Circle is also checked.

                          73 de Demetre SV1UY

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 20 8:49 PM
                            I'll look into this. That's not what it's supposed to do. Thanks for
                            noticing and reporting the problem.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 20 8:50 PM
                              The Wiki page was edited to clarify the features that only work from the
                              main window, an improvement that is a direct result of your questioning
                              and my illumination e-mail.